• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Zack Snyder Indicates Interest in Making Films Based on Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
I'm gonna get a lot of craps for this, but I think Snyder could adapt Evangelion really well, for three reasons

1.obsession with religious symbolism

2. Tries to be as accurate as possible to a fault.

3. Has a method of taking light hearted subjects and making them way to dark or angsty.

I am scared to make this observation. What do you think everyone?

To be honest, I really don't know if, or when a good NGE can be made. Del Torro pretty much set the standard and nailed most possibilities shut with Pacific Rim. D. T. not showing up to helm the sequel, PR: Uprising, gave us a movie so bad that I don't think most of Hollywood wants to fund another giant robot movie ever again.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:52 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

To be honest, I really don't know if, or when a good NGE can be made. Del Torro pretty much set the standard and nailed most possibilities shut with Pacific Rim. D. T. not showing up to helm the sequel, PR: Uprising, gave us a movie so bad that I don't think most of Hollywood wants to fund another giant robot movie ever again.

Don't forget they're already funding a Gundam movie.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Dude, "91 Days" says hello!
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Kero-Chan: Save....Sakura...

Naruto: WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME???
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Big Green Mean Man wrote:
Hell. NO.

You saw what he did to DC Comics.

So pick the right anime, Fist of the North Star or Golgo 13 maybe?
Charou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
But First of the North Star already has a perfect live action movie...

Also. No. So much no. Snyder would actively damage the progress made in the west regarding accurate and appropriate perception of anime. And by that I don't mean it has to all be seen a certain way -- I mean it's finally something more than the strange polarity of Ghibli masterpieces worthy of Oscar love and edgy AF teen angst power fantasy BS. We have kimetsu no yaiba dominating the mainstream big screen. We have Castlevania: western-made works of greatness infused with techniques inherited by those raised on Naruto.

Do we really need to sabotage this much more enlightened position of anime in the West by unleashing a Snyderian anime adaptation? No. No we do not.

As for Snyder taking on a certain po-faced, high concept anime prequel to a sanitised series based on a master-Servant eroge? I can hear the Urobutcher clutching his hair in terror at the prospect from here. Zero is, in terms of characterisation and that ever so careful balance between drama and action, leagues beyond anything Snyder could handle. He'd unwittingly make it a parody, as he does pretty much everything. Let's not tempt fate trying to bottle that lightning twice.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:11 am Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
Warner Bros and DC execs are just as much to blame as Zack Snyder.

Warner Bros wasn't exactly putting out quality work before Man Of Steel and even since then their non Zack Snyder work has been okay to meh at best.

RockSplash wrote:
3. Has a method of taking light hearted subjects and making them way to dark or angsty.

??? Wasn't that the modus operandi of almost every comic writer that touched a book from the 70's to 00's?

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Whatever problem's people have with Snyder and his movies, him being a Ayn Rand devotee shouldn't be one of them.

If his works incorporate Rand's views they yes they should.

Rand was a writer of dubious ability with some awful beliefs that unfortunately influenced a number of people.

Ushio wrote:

So pick the right anime, Fist of the North Star or Golgo 13 maybe?

We already got a FOTNS LA movie it was pretty bleh. Plus as the Hitman films have shown no one wants to watch a movie with a unsympathetic and unengaging lead character who never fails.

Charou wrote:

Do we really need to sabotage this much more enlightened position of anime in the West by unleashing a Snyderian anime adaptation? No. No we do not.

How would Snyder working on a live action adaptation sabotage this?

DragonBall Evolution did no damage to the Anime market in the west (which had it's own issues going on at the time).
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:30 am Reply with quote
The arrow shot in Vampire D: Bloodlust shows up in 300, and Man of Steel has a lot of Fist of the North Star-type action scenes.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:49 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Zeino wrote:
He also try to turn it into a Objectivist manifesto which is the last thing Eva or Dragon Ball or any other good anime franchise deserves. That is the rot at the heart of his films. Zack Snyder thinks Ayn Rand was right. Though hey, he'd be right at home with adapting The Irregular at Magic High School.

Whatever problem's people have with Snyder and his movies, him being a Ayn Rand devotee shouldn't be one of them. Superheroes as a genre overall have a lot of their origins rooted in libertarian ideals, some more than others of course, but a number of early comic creators like Steve Ditko were huge fans of Ayn Rand as well. Not that I want any more American live-action adaptions of manga, but Zack Snyder is no worse than whoever directed Death Note, or Ghost in the Shell, or Speed Racer.

Where to begin... "Superheroes as a genre have their origins rooted in Libertarian ideals". Yeah... because when Pa Kent told his son Clark in Man of Steel he shouldn't save people if there wasn't anything in it for him or if it threatened his own security...

Absolutely not like Lee's... not Ditko... Lee's line of "With great power comes great responsibility" from Spider-man; See, Ditko was fired from Spider-man as his Objectivist politics were overtaking the plot of the comic, such as having Spider-man yell at ant-Vietnam protestors which Lee turned into shouts of encouragement in a drawing of Spider-man shaking his fist at them.

See, Libertarianism is at its heart just rationalizing anything you want it to be as positive self interest because it's all about you.

Oh and Snyder's politics is one of my larger problems with his films... partly because he doesn't understand how its affects the films he makes, partly because he doesn't understand his own politics. He thinks its dark and edgy, in your face with its Ayn Randness, I think it makes him a tool.

So, no, I'm not for Snyder making anime movies, I'm not for him making movies period. And he completely butchered Watchmen because he thought its violence was genuinely the point and not ironic in any way. Ozymandius is the ultimate Libertarian in both the original comic and the movie... except one agrees with him, one disagrees with him. Guess which one says he was Right?

[Libertarian diatribe deleted by me]
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote
Snyder has his talents and his proclivities.

This doesn't work. It doesn't play to his strengths, the tones he like don't work for a show that has a healthy amount of absurdity in it, and the end result would be morose, self-serious, and probably just awkward as hell.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I watched the full interview and he never said that. He was simply friendly to Tyrone and his current dance card is further pretty full. The CG animated Army of the Dead: Lost Vegas is produced by Netflix Japan so this is the closest he will get to anime for years and years. His Norse Gods toon that will be revealed Thursday (how appropriate) will also be Anime-Inspired TM. A Snyder manga or anime adaptation would rock but we sadly may never get that lucky. #RestoreThe... you know what.

Here is the thing though. Snyder was considered for what became DB Evolution in the mid-00s, dito for Rodriguez, and he was watching Hunter X Hunter with his youngest kids recently. His wife got angry at him for exposing them to its not quite appropriate content. How do I know this? Snyder is the most interviewed man of 2021 and guess who was a fan of Zachary Edward since DotD? He is a Miyazaki fan, likes Akira, etc. At least him and his wife being fans of anime is real.

Snyder isn't an objectivist and is openly anti-Ayan Rand. He simply likes The Fountainhead. Look up what the plot is about and what went on with Justice League or Sucker Punch behind the scenes. Zack Snyder is Hollywood´s Howard Roark. Spielberg is another famous fan of The Fountainhead and I kinda like her novel Anthem. Are The Fountainhead and its 1949 film good? Nah. Are they bad? Nah. But I sure hope he adapts it. Its bonkers and his current script would fill about 10 hours.
How did that bizarre claim about his ideological leanings come about that can´t be combined with his religious beliefs or anything he does in life or films/writes? Geek blogger Devin Faraci smeared him with that accusation right after BvS and it somehow gained traction. Snyder is now enjoying a third wind in his life (outside of his family tragedy) and Faraci became a disgraced sex pest. Karma at its finest Smile .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
This debate goes round and round in a circle all the time.

To start with, a live-action adaptation of a manga is different from a live-action adaptation of an anime. With a manga, there is no prior moving image of the work. With an anime, there already is. A manga panel can only convey so much about how a character moves, what certain set pieces look like, etc. Starting with a manga has all the same struggles an anime adaptation would have, plus the complications of making what is usually a highly supernatural setting work in live-action, on a budget that is far more restricted than the project might otherwise be due. Going with a manga that doesn't haven an anime would likely be more successful as an adaptation, but fall short of some prerequisites for even being made.

Two, story is only as important as it is determined to be. The Godzilla v Kong movie, from a narrative standpoint, is pretty bad. If that was all it was leaning on, that movie would have bombed. But as a spectacle of monster fighting, it worked out pretty well for itself.

Three, listing off random "easy" anime to produce as live-action movies is not going to cut it in Hollywood. The exercise isn't "pick an anime to make into a movie" it's "pick a property to make into a cinematic franchise". If Hollywood wanted to make a gangster movie, it would. They've got no problem with that. They don't need Baccano or Black Lagoon if they wanted an idea for another mob/gangster movie. Dragonball comes up so often because it is an iconic franchise, with a unique story and setting, that has the potential for a long-running cinematic franchise if they can manage to nail the starting line. Same reason they targeted Gundam, and Ghost in the Shell.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Where to begin... "Superheroes as a genre have their origins rooted in Libertarian ideals". Yeah... because when Pa Kent told his son Clark in Man of Steel he shouldn't save people if there wasn't anything in it for him or if it threatened his own security...

Absolutely not like Lee's... not Ditko... Lee's line of "With great power comes great responsibility" from Spider-man; See, Ditko was fired from Spider-man as his Objectivist politics were overtaking the plot of the comic, such as having Spider-man yell at ant-Vietnam protestors which Lee turned into shouts of encouragement in a drawing of Spider-man shaking his fist at them.

I'm sure Libertarian is another one of those words everyone has a different definition for. So all I'll say is people are going to interpret works differently. Plenty of people say superheroes are inherently fascist and right-wing because they're super powered police beating up poor and mentally ill people and imprisoning's them to uphold the status quo. Meanwhile, Frank Miller says "fascists tell people how to live. Batman just tells criminals to stop" and considers those ideals libertarian. In the end, comic characters believe whatever the writer tells them to. That's how you get Superman going from a walking American war propagandist and the US President's right hand man to renouncing his American citizenship this past decade.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Also to get back track on the topic, Synder professes to love watching anime with his kids. Doesn't that already sound similar to another director....

what could possibly go wrong?
RhinocerousTrilbies

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, now we’ll get Goku being a christ analog who blows up whole cities of unevacuated innocents and the characters will take even longer to charge their ki in SLOW-MOTION! The pretencious, color-drained cinematography will be through the roof and it’ll make Evolution look like a F-ing love letter to Dragon Ball
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4