• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Premieres in Fall with Yoko Kanno as Composer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:

It's a Netflix adaptation, and if their previous attempts to adapt comic books, books, and manga have proven anything, is that "Netflix adaptation" is not just a meme, and that most of them are actually very poor in quality, writing, and faithfulness to their respective source material.

Seriously, with all that "cred" Netflix have gained of mistreating all those IPs they buy and adapt, it's impossible not to be "judgemental".
Netflix has only had one live action American anime remake so far to the best of my knowledge and that was the live action Death Note which was produced by LP Entertainment and Vertigo Entertainment. The live action Cowboy Bebop is being produced by Tomorrow Studios with an entirely different creative staff than Death Note.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I love Cowboy Bebop but I am always hesitant on American live action adaptations for anime. However with Yoko Kanno doing the music they got my interest. Music will be great but I am still not sure about the show. I'll give it a try when it comes out.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
As to kvetching about "Netflix adaptations", I quite liked Shadow and Bone, having read the source material, I thought the adaptation was pretty good --- where they differed from the original material I think they may have improved things (but I like Bardugo's Ketterdam characters more than the Ravka end of things, other than Nicholai).

Same with Umbrella Academy.

And gosh, Lupin is really, really good --- though I think it maybe shares more with The Count of Monte Cristo than the Arsene Lupin stories (and of course has nothing to do with Lupin III).

I don't know to what extent the Marvel properties (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil count as "Netflix adaptations" but those have been fantastic, and I've actually liked them more than the source material (though the source material is quite good).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Disclaimer: I haven't read everything out there about the live-action series.

From the comments it sounds like people are expecting this to be an adaptation of the source material in the same way as anime adapts manga. But it sounds to me like this will be more like how the MCU adopts comic book characters and writes original stories for them.

If this were a straight adaptation of the anime, with 1 hour episodes they could do the whole series in 8 or 9 episodes, and even with short 8-episode seasons, they don't have enough story for a second season. So I think they'll probably grab some plot points from the anime and do their own thing from there, which could be great or disastrous depending on the writers.

And the person who thinks Kanno would ever turn in a hollow imitation of her previous work evidently doesn't know the first thing about her. Unless they somehow think "See You Space Cowboy" is a hollow imitation of "Real Folk Blues," in which case that would explain such a pessimistic attitude.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:27 am Reply with quote
I can agree that not all Netflix adaptations are bad. Umbrella Academy is fantastic, and Lupin--while kind of a disappointing adaptation--is pretty damned good in its own right. But anime/manga adaptations are a different thing entirely. I can only think of a handful that turned out decent (Dragon Zakura, the first season of Genshiken, HYD, etc.) and only one that is genuinely great while also faithful to the original material (y'all need to watch Seigi no Mikata, I promise it's worth it). Meanwhile the Netflix manga/anime shows have been pretty uniformly awful.

penguintruth wrote:
At least we'll get a good soundtrack out of this mess.

It's definitely a bizarre sensation: expecting the absolute best from the soundtrack and the absolute worst from everything else.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop is my all time favorite Sci-fi anime. So it saddens me that Netflix is going to Death Note this franchise. This dumpster fire will be bittersweet for me. I will enjoy people crapping on Netflix, because they deserve all the crap that’s thrown at them, but at the same time that crap is going to splatter on a legendary anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Spike Spiegel is reverse whitewashing Laughing

Let's it at least be The Witcher series (a successful live-action adaptation of the game series)
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:32 am Reply with quote
I'm not someone who is excited about live action adaptations, actually there's only one (1) anime/manga to live action adaptation that I enjoyed in any way, Japanese or otherwise (it's Midnight Diner). Others I've seen I was either not impressed by (yes, that includes the Rurouni Kenshin movies) or I downright hated them.

But for some reason I'm having good feelings about this one, despite Cowboy Bebop being one of my favorite anime of all time. I like what we've seen of the cast, I already know that I should expect an original show based on Bebop instead of a direct translation of anime to live action, I know I should expect huuuuge liberties taken with everything, and you know what, I'm fine with that. As long as it keeps the characters' core traits (and as long as it doesn't screw up the one character I desperately not want to be screwed up) I'll be fine.

I guess I probably won't be reading the comments and reviews when it comes out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:18 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Spike Spiegel is reverse whitewashing Laughing

Let's it at least be The Witcher series (a successful live-action adaptation of the game series)

Well, Spike Spiegel was inspired by a character played by a part Zainichi Korean actor.

BTW, Witcher was book series before the games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3