• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation Anime's 1st Season English Dub Launche

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seibaa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:01 am Reply with quote
Can almost guarantee that Vic would be 100% okay if he didn't sue Funi lmao

I mean making an enemy of all his peers certainly didn't help but I feel like he might have been able to return in the long run if he didn't literally sue the company who for years sided with him over his peers
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:08 am Reply with quote
My point is though Vic should have been fired because he was a creep who harassed people and not only because he sued Funimation or whatever and it just feels like the dubbing industry hasn't learned any lessons since Vic and aren't really taking harassment allegations as seriously as they should. But even with the Vic stuff it was an open secret for decades and no one did anything about it till like two year ago.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This argument here that You Know Who was cast out because he was unpopular and burnt bridges and not because of the actual allegations against him doesn't really strike me as a great argument in defense in the confidence of the dubbing industry if the dubbing industry and voice actors are willing to overlook allegations as long as they like the person and get along with them. That's kind of partly why we had a MeToo movement in other sectors of the entertainment industry because people in power were willing to overlook abuse if it was someone they liked or had a biased connection with.

The acting scene is full of cliques and has always involved some sort of popularity contest, even in voice acting. Chris Niosi is well-liked by his peers so he's given a second chance even though his (confirmed) behavior is arguably worse than Vic Mignogna's. Vic was immensely disliked by many in the industry, his peers could not wait to get rid of him and took the first chance they had to do so.

Both did bad, career-ending things, but Chris didn't anger those in power as much, so he's getting a second shot from some people. I don't particularly believe Chris deserves a second chance if Vic doesn't, but that's the acting scene for you. Cut favors here, network there...

Chris at least publicly apologized for what he did, and lost a lot of roles because of it, so at the very least I feel like that's one difference from Vic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2