• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket The Final Anime Casts Hiroshi Kamiya, Matt Mercer as God

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:12 am Reply with quote
Law and Levi share another character.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks for another huge spoiler. Just love ANN sometimes.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:

It's on the front page of the official Japanese Fruits Basket website, the top entry on Funimation's blog, and posted on the official Fruits Basket TV anime Twitter account.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:

This doesn't say anything about how the character appears in the story. The fact that they existed isn't really a surprise either: Akito has been known for a while as an incarnation of the god of the Zodiac, like how the others are incarnations of the animals of the Zodiac.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
This doesn't say anything about how the character appears in the story. The fact that they existed isn't really a surprise either

Not to mention that character is literally the first person we see at the start of episode 1. I don't think their existence is all that shocking.

Anyways, both these casting choices are perfect for what amounts to a pretty small role this late in the game. Kamiya is kinda funny due to his previous roles playing a god, and Mercer is definitely a surprise considering he doesn't really do that much anime work anymore outside reprisals.
LoopyChew
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
So do any of the manga readers have an idea of how much story this has left? I was expecting a 25-ep season like the first two seasons but we seem to be hurtling toward a conclusion pretty quickly, to the point where I can see this being a 12/13-ep season.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't even expecting this character to get a voice, but that's pretty great casting.

spoiler[I guess we're never getting voices for Katsuya and Komaki...]
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I love Hiroshi Kamiya; he voices my favorite male anime character (Takashi Natsume).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I wasn't even expecting this character to get a voice, but that's pretty great casting.

spoiler[I guess we're never getting voices for Katsuya and Komaki...]

Looks like the anime version are rid of Katsuya and Komaki due to only one cour. So much "faithful adaptation".
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:48 am Reply with quote
Well this spoiler titled article, is nearly as bad as the MHA one, from a few weeks ago.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
LoopyChew wrote:
So do any of the manga readers have an idea of how much story this has left? I was expecting a 25-ep season like the first two seasons but we seem to be hurtling toward a conclusion pretty quickly, to the point where I can see this being a 12/13-ep season.

There are essentially 9 chapters left as the final chapter is double length. A properly paced adaptation would have this next episode at 2 chapters because of the big emotions and moments it's handling but this announcement basically guarantees it's going to be 3, which leaves two episodes to wrap up the remainder. No clue if they'll cram another 4 into episode 12 so that 13 can be just the final chapter (which is more of an epilogue) or try and split it up evenly. Either way they've shot themselves on giving some of the most resonant and powerful scenes in the series room to really breathe and, yes, it's going to be a straight hurtle to the finish line. What's sad is that the very last scene in the penultimate chapter doesn't even make sense anymore and can't really be done properly because they eliminated the arc that makes it meaningful-- not to mention it would require a certain not-at-all important character actually getting a voice in this show. Rolling Eyes

ErikaD.D wrote:
Looks like the anime version are rid of Katsuya and Komaki due to only one cour. So much "faithful adaptation".

I'll say I'm pleasantly surprised to see they're still doing the storyline which includes this God character, although it is funny to me that they get voiced when it's not really necessary to tell it. I'm curious to see if Kamiya and Mercer are also the narrators for this part, or more likely it's just going to be abbreviated in such a way that maybe the narrator bit isn't present anymore? Actually, maybe I should withhold my "pleasant surprise" until we see what actually happens haha.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Please, Matt's already a god.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1