• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Game Series Revealed for Mobile Devices, PC

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:59 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I should be hyped for yet another rerelease of these games. If it were in a collection and available on the Switch or PS4/PS5, I'd be more interested. Buying them separately just feels boring. I'd probably only buy V and VI, maybe III and IV if priced well.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
As much as I like the idea behind these games, they really should come to consoles, since 5 and 6 haven't had much in the way of proper console releases in years...though I do prefer the GBA version of 5 because of it's fun script.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:20 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
yet another rerelease

For most of these games, the most recent re-releases are the infamously ugly Android/iOS versions, and the ones before that were on the GBA, which is pretty inaccessible now. I'm actually pretty happy to be able to get good-looking versions of these on a platform that isn't going to become obsolete any time soon.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
Worst moment of E3 for me so far. Not on consoles, and all sold separately. Just pure tone deafness from SquareEnix.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
Worst moment of E3 for me so far. Not on consoles, and all sold separately.

For what it's worth not everyone has 30+ hours to sink into multiple games. That and not everyone likes the first 6 FF games.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Not really sold on this, just for the fact that I'm currently playing the PSP remake of Final Fantasy IV and it looks better than what I can see of the Final Fantasy IV Pixel Remaster judging by the screenshots. Maybe if it were releasing in a collection on the Switch that I could own as a physical copy, then it might be worth a purchase for me, but sadly not like this.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:21 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
For what it's worth not everyone has 30+ hours to sink into multiple games. That and not everyone likes the first 6 FF games.
If you say you're a Final Fantasy fan and will only acknowledge games 7 and up because they are the "mainstream" titles, then that's not being a fan, that's being a poser. You either make time for all the main series installments as part of the fandom or turn in your fan badge.

It's no different than saying you're a Doctor Who fan but will only acknowledge Doctors 10 and up just because David Tennant made the series mainstream.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:18 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
If you say you're a Final Fantasy fan and will only acknowledge games 7 and up because they are the "mainstream" titles, then that's not being a fan, that's being a poser. You either make time for all the main series installments as part of the fandom or turn in your fan badge.

It's no different than saying you're a Doctor Who fan but will only acknowledge Doctors 10 and up just because David Tennant made the series mainstream.

No. Fans are allowed to only like parts of the franchise, including fans who aren't into anything from before a certain date. There is no such thing as turning in your fan badge.

Also, I don't know where you're getting "will only acknowledge" or "mainstream".
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
I've never really bothered to get into anything Final Fantasy in the main series beyond Final Fantasy X personally. I grew up on the turn based system. I was kind of disappointed to see that they dropped it in favor of an action-style combat system, but maybe I'd be fine with it if I gave newer games in the franchise a chance.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:29 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Playing all of the games doesn't make you a fan. That makes you a superfan someone who'll digest and buy every piece of merchandise related to the IP regardless of quality if it's in your budget. Not to mention the fact your argument can also be applied to the segment of the fandom that's whined and moaned about the games post 7 because "the series has forgotten it's roots".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1