• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some Bad News For Everyone [about a Youtube Anime Channel].

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to tell you guys this but I've got some bad news for you. There's an anime YouTuber's channel that might be disappearing soon. That one's called Sailor Moon Says! For a while now,this person's been showing some funny clips of the old "Sailor Moon" dub. Sadly,it looks like the party's over for this person. He or she's been told that as of June 21st,his or her YouTube channel's going to come down.
Now,I don't know if we can do anything about this but we should try. If you're able to,try to contact YouTube and try to convince them not to get rid of this channel. If you can,go to YouTube and watch this channel while it's up. I don't know how long it'll be up but in my opinion,it's kinda sad. I had no problem watching the old DIC/Cloverway dub of "Sailor Moon." Why is it disappearing now? I don't know. So,when you're on YouTube,please watch Sailor Moon Says! However you feel about the old dub,you gotta admit,it shouldn't just disappear into nothingness.

I hope YouTube changes their mind about this but I'm doubtful they will,so see this channel while you can folks,because it might not be around for too long. To be honest,that's a sad thing and I don't think that should have happened.

[EDIT: Changed thread title to give it context. -TK]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
When your channel is nothing but uploading copyrighted video clips, it's bound to have action taken against it sooner or later. There are other means of watching the old DiC/Cloverway dubs out there.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:22 am Reply with quote
Well,Zalis116. I think what this person would say is that he or she had never received any problems or complaints before about him or her doing this. For it to come now would come as a bit of a shock. I did learn that Sailor Moon Says! has some alternate platforms but I think that he or she liked sharing those scenes on YouTube. That's my guess,but what's your opinion?
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote
copyright strikes are kind of whack a mole and there timing is when ever the holder puts a strike out and if your platform is just old dub clips this is bound to happen i.e this is why abridged work get taken down as well
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:15 am Reply with quote
I guess that's one of the disadvantages of having that sort of channel,Nate148. But,here's the thing. Why did they do this now? This person had those clips up for years and whoever the copyright holders are for the old "Sailor Moon" dub are making a fuss now? I don't know and I don't pretend to know why this happened. All I know that this just came out of nowhere.
Also,I'm not a YouTuber so I just go by what I've heard. That's all. It's sad that this channel's gone now. I never had a problem with it. Seems someone did. I don't know who but they got this channel taken down. I don't know what's going to happen to this person but I hope he or she is all right.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I guess that's one of the disadvantages of having that sort of channel,Nate148. But,here's the thing. Why did they do this now? This person had those clips up for years and whoever the copyright holders are for the old "Sailor Moon" dub are making a fuss now? I don't know and I don't pretend to know why this happened. All I know that this just came out of nowhere.
Also,I'm not a YouTuber so I just go by what I've heard. That's all. It's sad that this channel's gone now. I never had a problem with it. Seems someone did. I don't know who but they got this channel taken down. I don't know what's going to happen to this person but I hope he or she is all right.

It doesn't matter if you didn't have any problems with that channel, but it does matter to the copyright holders. I'm going to wager a guess that someone who works for the copyright holder if not the holders themself stumbled across it. It doesn't matter how old the dub is, if it's breaking copyright, it's still going to get taken down.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:31 am Reply with quote
I'm sad to see this channel go as they always provided a lot of fun laughs but it should be pointed out that Toei also sent C&D letters to long time major groups that were fansubbing Super Sentai and Kamen Rider shows. So it seems Toei has been cracking down on copyright in general and not specifically Sailor Moon. Some other Sailor Moon channels have also reported having their content taken down even if their channel was only focused on fan made creations like fan made transformation videos. Toei might also be paying more heavily attention to this kind of thing with the Sailor Moon Eternal movies out now. I remember a few months ago someone tried to leak a fancam recording of the movies on Twitter. On the toku side of things there were people on Twitter being really foolish and tweeting at the Japanese creators that they were watching fansubs of toku shows and the creators being bamboolzed by it. And it's thing like that end up ruining things for everyone.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:00 am Reply with quote
Wow,Beltane70,Cardcaptor Takato,I think you may have helped find the big reason for why this may have happened. It might just be that Toei's doing this not only for copyright reasons,it's also pretty likely about the new "Sailor Moon Eternal" films that are about to be released. They know that "Sailor Moon's" pretty popular,especially here in America. I guess they want to make sure that nothing goes wrong with their new movies,even if it means taking down a YouTube channel with an old English dub.
While I kinda understand them doing this,it's still kinda sad to see it,anyway. I would have loved to have seen Sailor Moon Says! do one of my most favorite scenes in the entire DIC/Cloverway dub. It's when Serena (Usagi) is trying to think of a way to tell her friend Molly (Naru) about this man she has a crush on and how dangerous that could be. Both she and Luna go back and forth and eventually,she says the funniest line in the whole dub. It goes "Why do I even bother to try?!" If you ever saw it,you'd know exactly what I mean.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Or it may not be end of the day if you speed on the road you will get caught when is random.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Apparently Toei is now going after YouTube channels that post Kamen Rider clips. One account got hit with six DMCAs for posting them.
Myrick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
It's disappearing maybe because of copyright or bad publicity. Either way, the creator of the series lost sales because of the channel. They loose sales from copyright because why would anyone pay for something when they van get it for free? And bad publicity can decrease sales because it's... bad publicity.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:33 am Reply with quote
Well,Myrick. That may be true. Although,for me,it's still a little sad that this happened. I liked the DIC/Cloverway version of "Sailor Moon" and with the newer Viz version out,it's going to be a lot harder to find. I hope there are places where the old dub is. I hope that somebody knows where it can be found.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1