• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Collaboration With CLAMP to Adapt Grimm's Fairy Tales With WIT Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zfunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:32 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
For a second I thought this was about Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics. But man, this actually looks somewhat interesting! I hope this turns out good!

Well it kind of is. Most of these stories are public domain, this is going to be no different than what they did in the 80's if this straight adaption of these stories.

Though knowing CLAMP, these stories will connect to each other, probably have a big finale when all those characters come together.

Anyway I am just hoping for a Little Mermaid with the death of the main character, it is about this generation and the generation before, anyone from 1989 - present, learned what really happened.

Last edited by zfunk on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:04 pm Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:

Anyway I am just hoping for a Little Mermaid with the death of the main character, it is about this generation and the generation before, anyone from 1989 - present, learned what really happened.

That's only if they use Hans Christian Andersen's stories, too, though. Andersen's work is mostly literary fairy tales (i.e. short fantasy stories meant to sound like folklore), but more importantly are from Denmark. The Brothers Grimm only collected stories from Germany; it's just that their work has become synonymous with "fairy tales" to the exclusion of other folklorists (like Joseph Jacobs and Charles Marelle) and literary fairy tale writers.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Netflix are able to greenlight productions that may not go over very well with otaku in Japan; just keep that in mind
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

There actually is one. Toei made their own anime movie of Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid in 1975, and Discotek Media released it on DVD back in 2015. You can find cheap copies of it here: https://www.amazon.com/Hans-Christian-Andersens-Little-Mermaid/dp/B013D10GLA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+little+mermaid+1975&qid=1623806246&s=movies-tv&sr=1-1

spoiler[In this version, the mermaid character, Marina, does indeed die.]

Quote:
Netflix are able to greenlight productions that may not go over very well with otaku in Japan; just keep that in mind

Indeed. I kind of wish they'd do more with the resources they have. Since Netflix doesn't have broadcasting/censorship standards like cable TV does, creators do have more freedom with their content depending on the situation. I'd love for Japanese creators to make use of Netflix to do things like, say, bring back the World Masterpiece Theater (i.e. make new anime for it) or make old school magical girl anime like Creamy Mami or Fancy Lala. The possibilities are endless, and a platform like Netflix should be able to open those doors if the executives would let them.
zfunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
zfunk wrote:

That's only if they use Hans Christian Andersen's stories, too, though. Andersen's work is mostly literary fairy tales (i.e. short fantasy stories meant to sound like folklore), but more importantly are from Denmark. The Brothers Grimm only collected stories from Germany; it's just that their work has become synonymous with "fairy tales" to the exclusion of other folklorists (like Joseph Jacobs and Charles Marelle) and literary fairy tale writers.

So that is why there is no Little Mermaid episode in the 87 anime. Though if there was, I don't know if it would be dubbed and aired on Nickelodeon.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
CLAMP is also doing the character designs for the latest Cardfight Vanguard series. It's interesting to see them doing more anime character design work lately.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:00 pm Reply with quote
So if they are the brothers grim does that mean they are going to do similar to the recent TV brother grim series and write a story about the authors instead of the collected fairy tales?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:15 am Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:

So that is why there is no Little Mermaid episode in the 87 anime. Though if there was, I don't know if it would be dubbed and aired on Nickelodeon.

The live-action TV show "Faerie Tale Theatre" did a relatively faithful recreation that aired on American television in 1987, though you're right, not on Nickelodeon as I recall. (You can watch it here.) The series was billed as family-friendly and it's pretty good, keeping in mind terrible casting choices like Mick Jagger as the Emperor of China in "The Nightingale" episode and the seriously creepy sexual overtones in "Hansel and Gretel."
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Indeed. I kind of wish they'd do more with the resources they have. Since Netflix doesn't have broadcasting/censorship standards like cable TV does, creators do have more freedom with their content depending on the situation. I'd love for Japanese creators to make use of Netflix to do things like, say, bring back the World Masterpiece Theater (i.e. make new anime for it) or make old school magical girl anime like Creamy Mami or Fancy Lala. The possibilities are endless, and a platform like Netflix should be able to open those doors if the executives would let them.
I'm sorry but Netflix is not the land of Milk and Honey. Sure it may be true that they don't target a Japanese audience, but they still target an audience. Which is seems to be somewhere around the American casual and none fan. As their documentary spelled out what they see Anime as, a cool edgy genre for all the hip kids. As well as 3D animation, because it's more popular in the west. You're not going to be getting old school magical girl shows or European inspired fair tales, with that mindset.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:19 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
FireChick wrote:
I'm sorry but Netflix is not the land of Milk and Honey. Sure it may be true that they don't target a Japanese audience, but they still target an audience. Which is seems to be somewhere around the American casual and none fan. As their documentary spelled out what they see Anime as, a cool edgy genre for all the hip kids. As well as 3D animation, because it's more popular in the west. You're not going to be getting old school magical girl shows or European inspired fair tales, with that mindset.

So, are you implying that REAL anime fans can only like isekai/romcom/moe otaku trash and those of us who like stuff like Devilman/Hero Mask/great Pretender or Castlevania are just casual fans or hip kids? Sorry to disappoint you but neither I nor a lot of people I know who also have enjoyed a ton of Netflix shows fall into either category. As I said before, Netflix is here to stay so just deal with it already and try to do something more useful with your time, pretty please??
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:36 am Reply with quote
Ooooh, it’s CLAMP! I do like them. I might have to check this out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Walpurgiz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
Wow so many people really think Netflix involve with most of their exclusive show?
If you live in Japan and Open Netflix
Great pretender,Violet evergarden,Dorohedoro etc. dont have "N Series" LOGO
Because they only have the right to stream outside Japan
It just a Exclusive deal and they put their N logo in it

The one they actually involve/co-produce should be a show like Baki,Kengan,,Cannon Busters
because it is ONA which is mean you can only watch from Streaming service
But for TV Series. they just get the right to stream it outside Japan
Same with the upcoming anime like Eden zero,Gundum hathaway
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Walpurgiz wrote:
Wow so many people really think Netflix involve with most of their exclusive show?
If you live in Japan and Open Netflix
Great pretender,Violet evergarden,Dorohedoro etc. dont have "N Series" LOGO
Because they only have the right to stream outside Japan
It just a Exclusive deal and they put their N logo in it

The one they actually involve/co-produce should be a show like Baki,Kengan,,Cannon Busters
because it is ONA which is mean you can only watch from Streaming service
But for TV Series. they just get the right to stream it outside Japan
Same with the upcoming anime like Eden zero,Gundum hathaway

Either way, it doesn't invalidate our point that Netflix is capable of hosting good and bad content like the rest of the streaming services.
EugeneW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:34 pm Reply with quote
There seems to be a common misconception that the only anime available on Netflix are "originals." Netflix licenses most of the anime in its catalog the same as every other streaming service. The US site has around 240 Japanese-language titles. A handful are live-action. Most are anime.

Here is a small sampling: Anohana, A Silent Voice, Angel Beats, Bleach, Clannad, Demon Slayer, Durarara (1 season), Fullmetal Alchemist (both versions), Garden of Words, Girls und Panzer, Gundam (6 classic series scheduled so far), K-On, March Comes in Like a Lion, Mirai, Naruto, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Okko's Inn, One Punch Man, Sword Art Online, Toradora.

And, frankly, when it comes to the "originals," Netflix bats above average there too.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
So, are you implying that REAL anime fans can only like isekai/romcom/moe otaku trash and those of us who like stuff like Devilman/Hero Mask/great Pretender or Castlevania are just casual fans or hip kids? Sorry to disappoint you but neither I nor a lot of people I know who also have enjoyed a ton of Netflix shows fall into either category. As I said before, Netflix is here to stay so just deal with it already and try to do something more useful with your time, pretty please??
Wow, where do I even begin to unpack this. Well first off are you really telling me that everything outside of Netflix is just a select group of genres, where every Netflix show is just like one of their better shows..Second, so you name drop three titles, I could probably name drop a load more that came out the same time on other platforms, all of which were simulcasted. Thirdly, so why is Netflix, a platform where most CG Anime come from and treats as the medium as a cheap source of animated content to comet with Disney, great exactly.

I never replied to you, I posted a comment with my thoughts on it. You replied to me and started this discussion. If you don't don't want to talk about it, fine, just don't start a debate and then ask me to not to talk about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4