• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vandalism in Jojo's bizarre adventures (2012) page

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punctual

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
anime#14445

There is no brazilian or portuguese dub confirmed, and someone is making vandalism adding fake info with no sources.
Purple Ninja

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I hope the administration don't simply remove the button for adding information like they did with the My Hero Academia first movie page. I know vandalism is very common to happen in the Portuguese section, but something should be made in this website to avoid that type of user to create account here, without censoring the Portuguese contributors.

It's annoying to know this ALWAYS happen when a popular anime is probably getting dubbed in that language, and the fact that those submissions are always posted anonymously make that situation worse. I think something like knowing the user's IP or adding more secure information for creating accounts here should be created to avoid more vandalism like that.

Sadly, some time every editable encyclopedia will suffer with things like that. But websites without enough security to avoid this is a problem.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
They have a "source", "Eu sou a namorada dele" which Google Translate translates to "I'm his girlfriend". Yeesh at how this has happened again..... Yeah, something definitely needs to be put in place to prevent this from happening again. Like having been registered for a certain amount of time before one can submit info could be a start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Purple Ninja

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
They have a "source", "Eu sou a namorada dele" which Google Translate translates to "I'm his girlfriend". Yeesh at how this has happened again..... Yeah, something definitely needs to be put in place to prevent this from happening again. Like having been registered for a certain amount of time before one can submit info could be a start.

Aside this page, there's also vandalism in various another Portuguese sections of anime pages, and it's heavily probable that every single edit is from the same person, but it's difficult to know since every credit is inserted anonymously on the encyclopedia. Or he has many accounts here to avoid being banned, which is very probable too.
That user likes to add pseudo-celebrities on cast who aren't even actors in most cases, or does not do voice acting, like a controversial YouTuber, a comedian, or minor anime YouTubers and content creators as if they were actual voice actors.

Pages which include vandalism on that language include (but not limited to) Code Geass (anime#6704), the first season of My Hero Academia (voice actor credited as a company who isn't even the voice of that character), Danmachi (false credit of a dubbing studio inserted on the staff), the season "Stardust Crusaders" of JoJo (anime#15692), Boruto (anime#18934), Demon Slayer TV series (anime#21101), and especially a season of a meme-based hentai series Boku no Pico (anime#8647).

Seriously, that guy will never be stopped if the administration still is not present in the encyclopedia. And as a Portuguese contributor, I hope that they do not simply take our complaining out of context like they did with the My Hero Academia movie, which formerly had vandalism but they prevented every single contributor to add credit there removing the button for contributing.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I've revoked submission privileges to the spammers and had the system automatically remove any of the information they have added. I was able to do this without locking the Portuguese sections as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Purple Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote
Fake info added again...
Was the criteria for creating new accounts here changed or no?
Netto-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately this is a recurring problem, which actually can be traced back to when Bleach was rumored to be dubbed in Brazilian Portuguese and people started adding fake Brazilian casts. For the record, the dub debuted on Brazilian Animax in 2008. To this day, the "add cast", "add crew" and "add companies" buttons on Bleach anime#4240 are still blocked for the Portuguese sections.

I honestly can't understand why those people do it. And for us who contribute to the Portuguese content here at the encyclopedia, seeing that it still happens more than 10 years later is truly demotivating.
Purple Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 am Reply with quote
Purple Ninja wrote:
Fake info added again...

Update: that info added turned out to be real. The author used dubious information to confirm the credit before but now it's fixed. The Netflix credits confirm it.
Netto-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Purple Ninja wrote:
Purple Ninja wrote:
Fake info added again...

Update: that info added turned out to be real. The author used dubious information to confirm the credit before but now it's fixed. The Netflix credits confirm it.

So it turns out this particular case was motivated by that user's wish of being the first to add those confidential bits of info, which looked like vandalism due to no one being able to confirm if the info is true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1