• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy IX Game to Get Animated Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I wonder if this is going to be a retelling of the entire game's plot in CGI animated form, a side-story, or a continuation after the events of the game?

If it's going to retell the entire game's plot in animated form, that would be pretty redundant but I guess today's gamers don't have the patience for command-line RPGs like old-school gamers do.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Though Avatar The Last Airbender also featured the genocide of the Airbenders and that show was also for young kids as well.

That was pretty much all off-screen, FF9 directly shows you an entire group of people being swallowed up into a monster (after getting their kingdom invaded and multiple people murdered).
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:20 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
*Huge line of cook being snorted*
So hear me out, we make a TV show for kid based on a video game that came out before the target audience was even alive, sounds great right?

Guess what game older then FFIX has a super-successful animated series on Netflix? Granted, it's for a much older audience, but many people who've never played a Castlevania game have gotten invested into the Netflix series, so who's to say that this won't be a similar case? Also, it's "coke," not "cook."
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:15 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So you like FF9 because it was generic fantasy, pray tell what is preventing SE from making a cartoon show called "final fantasy" set in a generic fantasy setting without using FF9? Also, from X onward? FF7-8 are way more science fantasy than 10/12.

I'm literally working under the assumption that it is not meant for FF fans (you know like the fact that the targeted audience is younger than the game), hence why there's no point in setting it in an established FF setting. The fact that it is aimed at non FF fan is part of the reason making it linked to FF9 is a bad idea. For non FF fan the fact that it's linked to FF9 either means nothing or is going to be something that'll make them less likely to watch it. It might do well, but it would do just as well if it was original story or linked to a more modern (or upcoming) game with non FF fan (and if you link it to newer game you can make more sales there).

The fact that various game have they're own fan and detractor is what makes the FF IP so powerful. If you just slap "FF" on something everyone that's a fan of even single of the game will take notice because they'll recognize the name. By specifically linking it to one entry you then lose everyone that didn't like or played that specific entry.

Linking it to a specific entry has plenty of downside but very few upside. Compare it to making the cartoon set in FF14 world. It's a current game so to a young audience it won't look dated, it's also available on more current console and can be sold for more (not to mention recurring subscription) it also has a free trail available for getting new player to get in easily, very nice for kid with little disposable income. Since the idea for the cartoon seem to be to get parent and kid to watch together you can also sell the fact that FF14 is build from the ground up for multiplayer, so you get parent and kid to also play the game together (and sell two copy/subsription). Because the game is modern you can also easily add content (imagine if, as the cartoon is playing, every week SE would release new sets of quests in the game that would reflect the content of the show, by drop feeding it you can get player to stick around for the duration of the show, keeping their subscription going). Now what are the downside of setting it in FF14 instead of 9... I can't really think of any, I guess you'll need to do a bit more witting as you'll need to make an original story, but I doubt that writing cost are that high.

You can do the same exercise with a show unrelated to any FF game and come more or less to the same conclusion. Setting it in FF9 is a high hanging fruit situation.
It's Final Fantasy and it's based off an official installment in the series. Plus, the game had HD re-releases a few years prior to get a new generation of gamers exposed. You're filibustering an unsubstantiated issue here.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I... was a little iffy about the age range on this but I had to actually do the math and honestly I was around 14 when I played FF9, and way younger playing much darker RPG. So I think the target audience is fine as long as they don't try to overly kiddify the storyline into what they actually think is kid appropriate.

But I don't have high hopes for it anyways, which makes me sad because I loved FF9.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:43 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

snip

A game adaptation doesn't have to be an ad for a game. Castlevania (Netflix) was made (with more on the way) despite there being no known Castlevania game in development and the games they adapt either being hard to come by or a part of a collection. Personally, I have never played a Castlevania game, but I wanted to after watching the show so I ended up buying Bloodstained. Whether or not that is incompetence on Konami's part depends on what they got out of the show.

Alternatively, if this is an Ad then they could be trying a new tactic. I'm not sure Kingsglaive was well-received nor is it clear if it had any boost to sales of FFXV. I look at reviews about Kingsglaive and one common complaint i saw from both critics and audience was that it was very obviously an Ad, so some found that unappealing while others found it hard to understand. A completely original story could backfire like Spirits Within did, or be forgotten like FF: Unlimited or Legend of the Crystals.

An adaptation of FFIX could be like Pokemon Origins, Generations, or Twilight wings. An Ad, but not as heavy-handed as Kingsglaive while still adapting game content so both newcomers and nostalgic fans might be interested. Why FFIX was chosen could be for any number of reasons: An old game but one with an HD release, Its' characters, and designs look like they would appeal to kids but fans know there are serious themes in the game. The setting also looks simple and straightforward.

Finally, Cyber group might have been the ones to pitch the idea or pick IX, so who knows what the reason for this adaptation could really be.
ChomboTheMahjongSpider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:55 am Reply with quote
Ralph Snackshi wrote:
Jeez, gotta love FF fans amiright? One wrong/slightly odd move and suddenly its “OMG the franchise is dead! What is SE thinking!” Nevermind the popularity and acclaim of VII Remake or everything Yoshi-P touches. Somehow we’re always teetering on the brink of irrelevance even when pop culture at large continually proves that brands never die. But I digress.

You're trying to sound like the voice of reason while immediately jumping to hyperbole. Nobody here is claiming the franchise was dead, and this is far from the first misstep SE have made this month. Perhaps you should consider your own attitude before criticising others'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3