• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Columbia Pictures Orders Film Script of Made in Abyss Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
The fetish stuff will be the first casualty of the transition to live action. The kids will probably get aged up as well so no one sees a kid spoiler[snap an arm].

After that it becomes a matter of whether or not it lives up to the source. Or more realistically, makes a splendidly dank meme like Death Note did.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
The fact that the Director has only done horror in the past and that MiA isn't a horror series (it's an adventure series with themes like facing your own mortality, finding value in your life and experiences, and a classic and optimistic call to adventure with the journey being more important than the destination) despite having some horror elements tells me all I need to know.

This will be slasher schlock.

A director's past experiences isn't 100% going to indicate their success or failure in another genre.

Examples: Steven Speilberg, having directed one film, and one episode of Columbo took on an expensive film called Jaws.

Riddley Scott, having never directed a big budget film, nor horror or sci-fi, and being close to 40 directing nothing but tv commercials, directed Alien.

William Friedkin having directed nothing but comedies and dramas, directed The Exorcist

The point is, its not always reliable to use past experience to gauge how a movie will turn out.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:09 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:
The fact that the Director has only done horror in the past and that MiA isn't a horror series (it's an adventure series with themes like facing your own mortality, finding value in your life and experiences, and a classic and optimistic call to adventure with the journey being more important than the destination) despite having some horror elements tells me all I need to know.

A director's past experiences isn't 100% going to indicate their success or failure in another genre.

Examples: Steven Speilberg, having directed one film, and one episode of Columbo took on an expensive film called Jaws.

Riddley Scott, having never directed a big budget film, nor horror or sci-fi, and being close to 40 directing nothing but tv commercials, directed Alien.

William Friedkin having directed nothing but comedies and dramas, directed The Exorcist

The point is, its not always reliable to use past experience to gauge how a movie will turn out.

This is very true. Everything and everyone deserves a shot to prove what they've got. We won't know if it can be a success until someone does it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Are you freaking kidding me....is this some kind of a joke?

YOU CAN'T PUT THIS MANGA IN LIVE-ACTION. NOPE.

Drawings need to stay drawings for.....obvious reasons.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:

This is very true. Everything and everyone deserves a shot to prove what they've got. We won't know if it can be a success until someone does it.

I do think this anime is going to be problematic to adapt to a live action, for a whole host of reasons, especially cause of the fact that the character designs resemble grade school kids and the story puts them in adult situations. I just don't think the success or failure is going to rely on the director if we only use his past films to judge the new one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3