• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kakegurui Writer Homura Kawamoto's Isekai Revenge Manga Canceled After 1 Chapter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seagloom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I liked the concept of this but from what I'm hearing it was just edgelord stuff. I feel like it'd be more interesting to have someone deal with cheat characters but in a way where the villains aren't just rapist psycho not-so-nice-people.

Check out The Executioner and Her Way of Life. The first volume was released months back and there is already an anime announced if you prefer that medium to LNs. While it can get dark, it is nowhere near as edgy as this series was.

---

As for the announcement itself, I'm mildly disappointed if only out of curiosity over what direction the writer of Kakegurui would have taken this. That series has its share of entertainingly absurd scenarios; and I wanted to see if this had more of the same given the power gap between the protagonist and everyone else.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:02 pm Reply with quote
What surprises me is that they didn't notice the similarities to other Isekai protagonists until after chapter one was published? If this was such a big problem, I would think editorial would have noticed before the series was even greenlit. I mean, that's the entire joke that the whole story is built around.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I thought the premise was freaking hilarious and was ready to call all the people getting this canned killjoys until I found out exactly what happens in the first chapter and....yikes. I'm not a huge fan of a decent number of the series being parodied, but even I wouldn't go that far just for a dunk.

Also what did Bakarina do to the author to get involved in this?? I can understand wanting to make fun of how samey and oversaturated the isekai genre is, but shoujo isekai have only now started to gain traction with a wider audience. This one just looks like punching down compared to the other characters.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Damn this wasn't on my radar at all but now it is but... it's been cancelled.

I love most of these characters and a couple I detest but the idea sounds like it could be fun.

But then again, I did like the synopsis of Redo of Healer... until I actually read the dang thing. Instant regret. Actually, why isn't THAT protagonist in this lineup but Katrina is? Confused

I wonder if this was one of those situations where the idea was just destroyed by terrible execution. I suppose I'll never know but if some other brave publisher decides to pick it up I'd definitely give it a read. Of course I'm assuming it's not terrible. Which is a bold assumption.
JR-1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Was pretty disappointed with how edgy and mean-spirited the whole thing was considering I enjoyed Kakegurui and hoping for something with a bit more thought rather than Redo of Healer level edge and attention-seeking. Edgy isekai series and parodying other isekai protagonists are a dime a dozen in the narou and isekai manga in general but making the villains obvious expys with that level of edge definitely crosses the line even in the relatively free atmosphere of narou.

For anyone interested in this type of premise I'd recommend My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered and echoing The Executioner and Her Way of Life instead.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Well... at any case, the author's career is now officially dead. Get ready to read in the next few years how this author will spend the next few years writing title after unsuccessful title that will only last one or two issues and then get cancelled, and then become a running joke here at ANN.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:02 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Well... at any case, the author's career is now officially dead. Get ready to read in the next few years how this author will spend the next few years writing title after unsuccessful title that will only last one or two issues and then get cancelled, and then become a running joke here at ANN.

Considering he's writing the story for two upcoming anime, I don't think his career is in too much trouble just yet.

Seagloom wrote:
Check out The Executioner and Her Way of Life. The first volume was released months back and there is already an anime announced if you prefer that medium to LNs. While it can get dark, it is nowhere near as edgy as this series was.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a look.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I’m just...dumbfounded at this entire situation. Kakegurui is so good! How could the author even manage to make something like this?! The former series has such great writing (the characters are especially well-written), but...this series is a whole other story.

This whole situation is just one big farce. The author should just stick to Kakegurui for now and then, if they want to eventually launch a new series in the future, go ahead with an actual good idea the next time around.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
As for fair use as a legal concept, it covers limited use of copyrighted works for the purpose of education, or as parody or satire. People tend to forget the "limited use" portion. A serialized release is highly unlikely to make the cut, as is the assumed use of a character and their entire background from within another work, where all you do is change a name.

Exactly. If something like this manga showed up in an issue of Mad Magazine or as a cutaway gag on Family Guy, no one would bat an eye. But if Mad or Fox tried to make it an ongoing thing in every issue/episode, they would quickly get in trouble by the rights owners and be unable to explain it with "Well, it's just a parody"
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:
Also what did Bakarina do to the author to get involved in this??

Be the protagonist of a popular Isekai series with an anime adaption. I do not think he is making any kind of distinction and had this manga continued I bet he would have given the same treatment to other notorious isekais (and maybe even some old school ones) since he couldn't make a successful isekai manga himself.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
So it's probably too much to hope that this acts as a crisis intervention on the whole male power fantasy isekai production line that has become as bad and saturated as the moe blob craze right ?
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I can't speak for the quality of the product, but couldn't the artist have redesigned them and leave it at that?

It seems silly to cancel the entire project so quickly instead of following another path.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
It seems silly to cancel the entire project so quickly instead of following another path.

What is more important, continuing a manga project (every year most of them will get axed) or prevent your publishing company from being sued by nine different copyright holders, mhhh, decisions, decisions.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
What surprises me is that they didn't notice the similarities to other Isekai protagonists until after chapter one was published? If this was such a big problem, I would think editorial would have noticed before the series was even greenlit. I mean, that's the entire joke that the whole story is built around.

I imagine it was only an issue once readers started reacting/complaining about it.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
jroa wrote:

What is more important, continuing a manga project (every year most of them will get axed) or prevent your publishing company from being sued by nine different copyright holders, mhhh, decisions, decisions.

If you put it that way...but in practice, enough differences would reduce the changes of being sued.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6