• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video to Stream Final Evangelion Film on August 13

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:
I did not expect this so soon, and on Prime Video of all places. Then again, more than likely this is Khara putting it up to stream on APV rather than Amazon licensing it themselves since they wouldn't want to give it to Funi after the 3.0 dub situation.
I still dont get what happened with that movie 3 dub situation. Anyone care to explain? All i know is that I had to wait for a longggggg time. xD.

From what I remember, the original theatrical dub of 3.0 was more comedic and when representatives from Khara saw people laughing in the audience they were horrified. Becuase of that they went and rewrote the entire script and redubbed it to be a lot more literal It's the same reason the Netflix dub/sub is also more literal.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure I got this info third hand.
Sounds a bit odd to be honest. Evangelion is dark and twisted. The first 2 movies dubs were really good.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:13 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Sounds a bit odd to be honest. Evangelion is dark and twisted. The first 2 movies dubs were really good.

ADV took a ton of creative liberties back in the day so it doesn’t surprise me. Personally that’s why I always preferred the Japanese version.
SP654

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Yes yes yes fuq yeah and August is right around the corner plus it’s gonna be dubbed so glad I got a prime account

Last edited by SP654 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

From what I hear it wasn’t that the dub was made to be more comedic, it’s that the Khara representative misinterpreted the reaction of the audience that watched a copy of their original dub. It was in a convention with fans (some of whom prolly drunk) and they were having fun watching the movie but since 3 is intended to be a serious and somber affair, the Khara guy freaked out and thought the movies dub made it a comedy.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The way this article is presented makes it sound like the film is only going to be available for viewing for a single day. Is this correct or am I just reading too much into it? It wouldn't be surprised if they slap it up for a day and that was it.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

ADV took a ton of creative liberties back in the day so it doesn’t surprise me. Personally that’s why I always preferred the Japanese version.

I sat through both ADV and Netflix's versions for comparison's sake when I watched Eva for the first time, and while ADV is admittedly kind of liberal, I do think a lot of the changes they made make the overall experience more comprehensible--the average American viewer, for example, is way more likely to think of (I think it was) "streusel" and "schnitzel" as random German words during that one Evangelion episode about messing with the language settings than "baumkuchen", which is way more common in Japan.

And sadly, I think the more literal approach Netflix took has the unintended effect of making the Netflix staff look incompetent, because if you don't know that it was basically the result of executive meddling trying to make the English feel more Japanese--and I would hazard that this was probably the intent, judging by how Japanese Twitter reacted positively to the changes surrounding Kawara's lines specifically and how it mimicked the ambiguity of his Japanese dialogue; an ambiguity that just doesn't really exist in English--it just looks like the translators didn't know how to do their jobs, like an old-school fansubbing group or something.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Khara used the Netflix cast, but it's a shame for some of the original VA's who came back for the Rebuild movies to not get to bring the story to its conclusion.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Amanda Winn Lee claims the Netflix dub script was written 20+ years ago and rejected by ADV, so it could well be the equivalent of a 90’s fan sub translation.

Regardless, the issue with the ADV dub is less the script than the acting. It was the first big production for everyone involved, and it’s rough. Matt Greenfield’s directorial approach also tends to be “screaming = acting.” A lot of the subtle, muted characterization from the original Japanese version, which was unusual for anime at the time, is lost. Instead you have Ritsuko shouting at the top of her lungs every other scene. The Netflix dub was not perfect, but the acting was much more grounded in a way that better matched what the original was going for.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy it's finally getting a release.

penguintruth wrote:
As long as the Japanese version is there, I'll be set. Nobody beats Megumi Ogata and Kotono Mitsuishi.

This. I really like the Netflix dub and would be happy if that cast reprises for the dub, but my first watch will be through the Japanese either way.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese Netflix script, at least, was by Dan Kanemitsu (Khara's in-house translator). He submitted his Eva corrections to Netflix after it was uploaded, but apparently(??) Netflix never were corrected them :/ And what Amanda Winn Lee said was false. There was no "old dub script by ADV', according to Kanemitsu himself, in this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/dankanemitsu/status/1405552048876101637

Also, finally!! Very Happy I guess this means the Japanese Shin Eva bluray will be sometime in the Fall, and hopefully the GKids western NGE bluray release will be give or take the same time, as well.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'll be able to see the film soon, but I've always been partial to Spike and Tiffany as Shinji and Asuka, so it's a bit sad that the ship has probably sailed for any kind of consistency with the Funi dubs.

Deacon Blues wrote:
The way this article is presented makes it sound like the film is only going to be available for viewing for a single day. Is this correct or am I just reading too much into it? It wouldn't be surprised if they slap it up for a day and that was it.

That's definitely not the case. It's getting added to the service on that day, not just streamed for the duration of that day.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
From what I hear it wasn’t that the dub was made to be more comedic, it’s that the Khara representative misinterpreted the reaction of the audience that watched a copy of their original dub. It was in a convention with fans (some of whom prolly drunk) and they were having fun watching the movie but since 3 is intended to be a serious and somber affair, the Khara guy freaked out and thought the movies dub made it a comedy.

Could you elaborate? I have heard this in the past but not with much details. I take that it was at a convention in the US?

Glad there is widespread availability to some extend anyway. But there goes my hope for a theatrical release......
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Could you elaborate? I have heard this in the past but not with much details. I take that it was at a convention in the US?

I specifically recall mention that the Shinji/Kaworu scenes in particular elicited some giggling and laughter from the audience, which has led to speculation that the Khara staff in attendance concluded that Funimation must have "screwed up the dub" because those scenes weren't intended to be funny. And it's at this point that they went over Funi's script for 3.33 with a fine-toothed comb and chose to exhibit greater creative control over nearly all foreign releases of Eva media. I'm sure there's a bit more to it than that, but that's the commonly circulated story.

I wasn't in attendance there, but everything I've heard about what happened just makes it sound like Khara took these reactions too seriously and overreacted to differences in foreign movie-watching culture, especially at a casual convention screening.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Great, I'll just have to dodge spoilers for six more weeks. I'll try watching 3.0 and 3.0+1.0 back to back.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:38 pm Reply with quote
This is disappointing to me as I enjoyed the Funimation dub of the Rebuild movies and I hoped they would be able to complete their performances. I'm especially disappointed we won't get to hear Allison Keith as Misato one more time. I hope they will at least bring back the VSI cast and not recast everyone again as I did enjoy the VSI dub performances even if the script was too stiff sounding at times. My biggest frustration with this is we probably won't see a BD release for another few years and Prime is the most expensive streaming service to subscribe to. I just hope I'll be able to complete my physical media collection of the Rebuild movies. I wish they could have at least put the Evangelion movies on Netflix where it would likely get more exposure than Amazon. I feel like Khara is just switching streaming services because of the backlash against the VSI dub even though a lot of the issues with the VSI dub were of Khara's own doing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5