• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video to Stream Final Evangelion Film on August 13

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I just hate Amazon, It's a terrible company,they treat people like trash, and I boycott them for my own reasons.
I just hate this.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This is disappointing to me as I enjoyed the Funimation dub of the Rebuild movies and I hoped they would be able to complete their performances. I'm especially disappointed we won't get to hear Allison Keith as Misato one more time. I hope they will at least bring back the VSI cast and not recast everyone again as I did enjoy the VSI dub performances even if the script was too stiff sounding at times. My biggest frustration with this is we probably won't see a BD release for another few years and Prime is the most expensive streaming service to subscribe to. I just hope I'll be able to complete my physical media collection of the Rebuild movies. I wish they could have at least put the Evangelion movies on Netflix where it would likely get more exposure than Amazon. I feel like Khara is just switching streaming services because of the backlash against the VSI dub even though a lot of the issues with the VSI dub were of Khara's own doing.

You are acting like it has been confirmed. When we know nothing yet about who is dubbing it, which cast, etc. While I would be disappointed too if the OG cast didn't do this sendoff, we simply do not know one way or the other rn. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
With Netflix licensing the original and now Amazon licensing, or Khara releasing it on their. Does Khara have something against Funimation? It doesn't sound like a stretch to say that at least with this film, they have gone out of their way to deliberately avoid them from having it.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I've had a prime account for years so this is good news to me but I hope Mike McFarland was able to direct the dub for the final film anyone else wouldn't feel right in the director's chair guess we'll find out in August if the english dub will sink or swim.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Now that it’ll be on Prime it’ll take another eight years to be released on DVD/BD Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:

You are acting like it has been confirmed. When we know nothing yet about who is dubbing it, which cast, etc. While I would be disappointed too if the OG cast didn't do this sendoff, we simply do not know one way or the other rn. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
I think it's pretty likely given the Rebuild movies are slowly going OOP and Khara's displeasure with Funimation's initial release of the 3.0 movie and the previous movies are no longer available on Prime. I would be more surprised if they did bring back the Funimation cast.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see Amazon Prime grab the licensing rights to this film over Netflix.

Now the biggest question is if Amazon is using a new voice cast in LA over the VSI cast from the Netflix dub?
JGZinv

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Y'all may be missing something important here. Gkids has the rerelease of the non-rebuild films and series. Ths physical disc rights. Being they also dabble heavily in the theaters, good odds they also got the theatrical rights, if they could get them. They haven't announced a dub for their blu-rays either and that news is from last year.

Now fast forward to this news now.
It would not surprise me in the least if instead of fighting for the other dubs licensing, Amazon (and maybe Gkids) makes a new dub, especially when they are going to the trouble to do it in this many languages this fast. That way they don't have to split the money further and that license is kept in-house. It's one way to lock that down for longer.

Think of it like Harmony Gold and Robotech and the fighting over it, this is a big franchise too. You'd want to milk it and keep as much of the money yourself under your own roof. The answer, roll your own.

So my guess (because that's all we're doing) is we'll see some new dubs. The real surprise would be if they picked out and kept some of the old key voices. That would also give them some fan support.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:52 pm Reply with quote
If Khara was going to go with Prime then what the hell was the whole Netflix acquisition process for then? I mean they redubbed the series, movies and almost everything and they just said, "aye Amazon's got the bag let's just give it to them!" Like wtf?
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This is disappointing to me as I enjoyed the Funimation dub of the Rebuild movies and I hoped they would be able to complete their performances. I'm especially disappointed we won't get to hear Allison Keith as Misato one more time. I hope they will at least bring back the VSI cast and not recast everyone again as I did enjoy the VSI dub performances even if the script was too stiff sounding at times. My biggest frustration with this is we probably won't see a BD release for another few years and Prime is the most expensive streaming service to subscribe to. I just hope I'll be able to complete my physical media collection of the Rebuild movies. I wish they could have at least put the Evangelion movies on Netflix where it would likely get more exposure than Amazon. I feel like Khara is just switching streaming services because of the backlash against the VSI dub even though a lot of the issues with the VSI dub were of Khara's own doing.

errr.....what??? $10-14 is expensive?? especially with all that s included with it.

anyways I too am bummed at the possibility of the mostly original cast not coming back to finish it off. it just feels so wrong.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Considering the eternity it took to get 3.0 released outside of Japan, and the wait it took to get to 4.0 thanks to various circumstances, I am sooooooo happy and pleasantly surprised that it's taking less than six months to get it released.

Given the torturous history of the rights to Evangelion, and the direct competition between Amazon and Netflix I would imagine that any English dub will be done by a third cast, rather than any that have gone before.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, was not expecting such a quick and amazing turn around time. Looking forward to watching this next month!
Looks like it's time to unwrap Eva 3.33 for a rewatch before 4.01 premiers
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping it'll hit the theaters first before streaming/home video. I would have loved to see this on the big screen.

Given that one streaming giant had it, and then the other got it, it wasn't going to happen either way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

errr.....what??? $10-14 is expensive?? especially with all that s included with it
It’s $119 a year which is a lot for an anime fan compared to VRV and Funimation considering they don’t even license anime anymore. I suppose you could just subscribe to watch Eva and then cancel right after that.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:05 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
I specifically recall mention that the Shinji/Kaworu scenes in particular elicited some giggling and laughter from the audience, which has led to speculation that the Khara staff in attendance concluded that Funimation must have "screwed up the dub" because those scenes weren't intended to be funny. And it's at this point that they went over Funi's script for 3.33 with a fine-toothed comb and chose to exhibit greater creative control over nearly all foreign releases of Eva media. I'm sure there's a bit more to it than that, but that's the commonly circulated story.

I wasn't in attendance there, but everything I've heard about what happened just makes it sound like Khara took these reactions too seriously and overreacted to differences in foreign movie-watching culture, especially at a casual convention screening.

Thank you for the information.

If anyone else knows anything about this event, please share your knowledge. I am very curious to see what happened because it seems to have impacted translations of Eva for more than just one version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5