• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video to Stream Final Evangelion Film on August 13

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mach Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:

errr.....what??? $10-14 is expensive?? especially with all that s included with it
It’s $119 a year which is a lot for an anime fan compared to VRV and Funimation considering they don’t even license anime anymore. I suppose you could just subscribe to watch Eva and then cancel right after that.
Dude, seriously....

Okay, if you are just paying for it for anime, then yes, it is expensive, but you don't get Amazon Prime just for anime, you get it for the multi-platform bells and whistles that comes with it (Amazon, Prime Video, Prime Music, Twitch etc)

Part of me is wondering if Khara is going with Prime cause they perceive themselves to be have been stabbed by the Lance of Longinus: one prong is their perception of the reaction to 3.0 after Funi's treatment, the other prong is the reaction that the Netflix redub got. I honestly haven't watched the redub, outside of a couple of comparison videos which made me go nope, but the reaction plus some simple (maybe seemingly trivial) things like not licencing Fly Me To The Moon may have ticked Khara off

Fly Me to the Moon had better be on the GKids Blu-ray release or I'm not buying. I enjoy both dubs of Evangelion so whichever dub they choose is irrelevant to me (plus, I still have my ADV Platinum singles boxset in great condition).
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:58 pm Reply with quote
ThugsBunny3840 wrote:
The ADV and Manga Dubs had their flaws, but had enough good moments that, combined with the more narmy moments, made them pretty fun to watch, especially with company, as I did with my bro a couple of years back.

With the Netflix Dub, the voices were either phoned in or didn't fit the characters at all, and the overly stiff and literal script didn't help. The dub combined with the apparent behind the scenes issues with 3.33's (haven't seen its dub) make me very cautious for any dub involving Khara in the future, and I hope they don't continue to take themselves too seriously in the future.

If you think that's bad for you, you should see the comments in the Latin American internet about a possible recast in the last film, since there's a lingering possibility about the film being dubbed in El Salvador instead of Mexico unlike with the previous EVA productions.

For those who do not understand the context of this, here is the explanation: El Salvador is a country that has a nearly negligible media industry, or at least not relevant compared to Mexico and other countries in the region that have Spanish dubs (Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, Chile, United States and Puerto Rico). Although they have done decent dubs for Amazon, such as Invincible, many fear that Evangelion will be dubbed in that country, since many fans in the region do not believe that Salvadoran voice actors are capable of dubbing something as complex as EVA. That would be the equivalent of dubbing Evangelion using Kenyan English voice actors instead of American ones.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
If you think that's bad for you, you should see the comments in the Latin American internet about a possible recast in the last film, since there's a lingering possibility about the film being dubbed in El Salvador instead of Mexico unlike with the previous EVA productions.

That's unfortunate but not surprising.

Since the response to a Netflix dub was brought up, there was also what happened in Italy where the response was so bad that a second redub was made.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

That's unfortunate but not surprising.

Since the response to a Netflix dub was brought up, there was also what happened in Italy where the response was so bad that a second redub was made.

Curiously enough, The Mexican Spanish Netflix dub did translated the infamous Kaworu's line as "I love you, Shinji", but this is mostly because doing it otherwise would had likely screwed with the mouth flaps, since the closest thing to the neutral term (I like you) would be "me caes bien", but the latter had too many letters to be used in a dub. The subs did use "me caes bien" in both Latin American and European Spanish subs, despite that word is mostly used in Mexico, and Spaniards and everyone else wouldn't catch the Mexican idiom through.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5