• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:43 am Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:
Wasn't Beastars S2 a Winter 2021 series? It's page here at ANN says this:

Vintage: 2021-01-05

It just got out of Netflix jail.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:18 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I don't believe there is any rhyme or reason to this. It is as Redbeard 101 simply said. The anime is for the teenage male demographic, who for the most part is not going to care about all the stuff other people have negative thoughts about.

From what Redbeard 101 said, this sounds more like a boring raunchy version of Love Hina.

Yeah, it seems to be the case.
The anime production is not overflown by ecchi anime at the moment (is it the only one this season ?). So, talking about it like there is lot of choice and they should have been made as hentai (inaccessible to teenagers then) is quite intolerant. I would understand this pov if there were a lot of choice in the segment and a boring show couldn't compete with the others. But, actually, it's the isekai trend instead and some reviewers seems already burnout by it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
Watched Peach Boy 1 and Meikyuu Black 1 and enjoyed both of them.

FRAU IS TOO GOOD AND PURE FOR THIS WORLD. I will take her home and feed her every single carrot in this house! Anime smile

Rim > all characters in Dragon Maid. Nuff said. Don't @ me. 8D
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
FYI to anyone who didn't see it yet: the survey is active.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Watched aquatope and really enjoyed it. I would have preferred an older cast though. Hopefully it also stays more grounded. Perhaps they didn't want to get too close to Sakura Quest (which I recently watched and loved), but I definitely wouldn't have minded more Smile
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm here to shill the below shows, please vote for them Smile

Kageki Shoujo: It's no Revue Starlight, in fact it's more likely that the latter has been inspired by the former, but it's a pretty interesting title about a troupe school. It doesn't have a giraffe but it has Sarasa and she's precious.
Aquatope: A great slow-burning, girl-meets-girl title by PA Works with their usual fashion. This time it's about a run-down aquarium in Okinawa. You can't go wrong with this one if you liked either AdaShima or Iroduku.
Love Live Superstar: it's more Love Live, but this time with a reduced cast. The first episode has already shown it was a good decision, the characters have more than one side of them and they have more chance to shine. Kanon is a great protagonist and this time around she's not the bubbly one - that title belongs to Keke.
Vanitas: Steampunk and ikemen vampires with great animation and Kaijura Yuki soundtrack, I don't think you need anything else.
Re-Main: I'm not sure about this one yet, but I'd like it to be reviewed, for starters it's about water polo, a sport very dear to me, and it's a title that actually gets memory loss right.

You will vote for them anyway, but they still worth a mention:

Kobayashi S2
Slime S2
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
My votes:

My Next Life as a Villainess X: Just like Season 1, lovely shoujo isekai magical period dramedy with an extremely likeable MC.
Kageki Shoujo!!: SO, so good. The two leads rock so much and have promising character arcs ahead.
The Aquatope on White Sand: I love how soothing this is and how much the characters' emotions come into play. Main and secondary characters are great.
Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure: Continues to be so joyful and inspiring and possibly AOTY for me. This needs a whole lot more love than it's getting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure: Continues to be so joyful and inspiring and possibly AOTY for me. This needs a whole lot more love than it's getting.

Not only do I love how spoiler[Cure La Mer] looks, but I am beyond thrilled with how Laura spoiler[rewrites "The Little Mermaid."]

I do volunteer to cover this every time. If nothing else, I'll write up another review after episode 24 or so.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Kageki Shoujo makes the list

Just watched ep 3 and looks like we’re on course to cover SeasonZero material within the first few eps.

Be warned Ep 3 is quite traumatic - people who have read the manga will know why

There are some pretty serious issues covered and it’s doing them very wel
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmm after reading the reviews for Mother of the goddess domintary. I'm going to have to see how bad it really is for myself..

AlsoThinking way back to 2003/04 wasn't Negima! The first manga series to have an oneeshouta Vibe? Granted it changed as the series went along into more of senien series, still I remember some conteravrsy back then, given Negi was their teacher and his age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

AlsoThinking way back to 2003/04 wasn't Negima! The first manga series to have an oneeshouta Vibe? Granted it changed as the series went along into more of senien series, still I remember some conteravrsy back then, given Negi was their teacher and his age.

From what I remember the girls were only a few years older than Negi (3 or 4 I think) and they were all (relatively) still kids, so I don't know if it's fair to compare the two.

Having now watched it, while I find the age difference a turn off, it seems like it's just being used for convenience to have the usual fanservice situations without the usual outcome (as others have mentioned). If it begins to get weird though in regards to the relationships I'll probably be dropping it.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
I really hope Kageki Shoujo makes the list

Just watched ep 3 and looks like we’re on course to cover SeasonZero material within the first few eps.

Be warned Ep 3 is quite traumatic - people who have read the manga will know why

There are some pretty serious issues covered and it’s doing them very wel

Minor ptsd attack from that episode, mostly regarding that one flashback but yay I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight.......
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Ouch sounds like that hit close to home...

I think the flashback is important to ground why Ai is like who she is. But I think this manga/Anime is pretty brave to be handling issues like this.

Theres also some setups for another 2 character arcs in this episode.

I'm liking this show because it's handling some serious issues head on and doing them a careful hand.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:12 am Reply with quote
Oooo Love Live Superstar is continuing on form.

I'm liking this.

Also first glimpse of the OP/ED which are as usual for Love Live awesome/.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:40 am Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
I'm liking this show because it's handling some serious issues head on and doing them a careful hand.

I wouldn't really agree on the careful hand part, at least not at this point in the story. It does handle some serious issues, but also, without spoilers - it makes some really unfortunate choices in resolving them. I do think the writer's intentions are good, and the message they're trying to get across is not bad in and of itself, but unfortunately the context transforms the message into something glib and perhaps even unintentionally insidious. The manga gets better about this later on, but I remember cringing my way through some chapters in the first two volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 22