• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
So I checked a fansubbing site for the Light novel and its tagged as a drama, comedy romance SoL. I certainly got drama vibes from the first episode and the romance angle looks pretty clear. I did notice that tags for the anime have it labeled solely as a comedy. I think this might be a case of the tags being wrong on those sites.

Wrong on MAL, CR, ANN, and LNDB? Even fansites of the manga adaptation have it listed as a comedy and the only other tags/ genres I've seen applied to it are romance and school life
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
09jcg wrote:
So I checked a fansubbing site for the Light novel and its tagged as a drama, comedy romance SoL. I certainly got drama vibes from the first episode and the romance angle looks pretty clear. I did notice that tags for the anime have it labeled solely as a comedy. I think this might be a case of the tags being wrong on those sites.

Wrong on MAL, CR, ANN, and LNDB? Even fansites of the manga adaptation have it listed as a comedy and the only other tags/ genres I've seen applied to it are romance and school life
It certainly wouldn't shock me. I don't know how most sites generate their tags, but I would imagine crunchy posted it as a comedy and the other sites lifted it from there. I'm on MAL and I know improper tags is a relatively common thing. I also follow the basic rule of,. if one thing is wrong its possible other things are wrong. MAL is missing both the SOL and Romance tag and Shounen Tag. The Manga website lists all those as well. A different website lists ecchi and harem. The thing about tags is that they can be very imperfect.

EDIT: And just to reinforce my point, on MAL ReLife anime (which so far seems to be the closest thing I can think of to this anime) is only tagged as SOL, romance and school where as a comedy and drama tag would also be very appropriate. On the flip side, the Relife manga has those tags as well.
Netero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I can understand why Remake is not appealing to many, but it really hits the spot for me. At the same age as the MC I was presented with two completely different courses of study and I cynically chose the one I thought would bring in more money. The idea of being able to choose the other path really appeals, except that I would want an option to forget it and resume my original life if it all went wrong.

Still, if I were allowed to go back 10 years, even if I had no money, the first thing I would do would be to mortgage a kidney and buy Bitcoin!
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Alternately maybe it has some comedy later on but is in drama mode currently.

Well that would be something different. While comedies taking a hard turn into dramas abound, I'm hard-pressed to think of anything that started out as a drama and (intentionally) ended up as a comedy.

Plenty of primarily dramatic fiction has some comedic elements or comedy-focused scenes or subplots.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I feel for the mc of kabuki shojo. There is a lot that makes it hard to deal with general life when you get ptsd from that kind of encounter.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
Still, if I were allowed to go back 10 years, even if I had no money, the first thing I would do would be to mortgage a kidney and buy Bitcoin!

In other news, nascent electronic currency “Bitcoin” fell to negative values today after the widely-publicised story of a man mortgaging a kidney to buy it caused investors to decide the entire concept was “pretty silly when you really think about it.”
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Alternately maybe it has some comedy later on but is in drama mode currently.

Well that would be something different. While comedies taking a hard turn into dramas abound, I'm hard-pressed to think of anything that started out as a drama and (intentionally) ended up as a comedy.

Plenty of primarily dramatic fiction has some comedic elements or comedy-focused scenes or subplots.

Yes, I know what "comic relief" is, and it's not what I was talking about. But if you can think of a title that matches what I did describe, I'm all ears. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
James wrote:
The internet tells me that the average height for a 17-year-old Japanese girl is roughly 5'1”, which tracks with the handful of Japanese young-adults I've hung out with. Ai seems to be a bit on the short side, but we'll go ahead and stick with 5'1”, and since Sarasa is fully a head and some change taller than Ai, that would put her at, oh, let's say 5'10”-ish? That would be considered “tall” here in the US by most standards, but not “freakishly” so, which I suppose makes the whole school's impressed/intimidated reactions pretty amusing.

I actually use cases similar to this every year when I teach about standard deviation in Math classes.

The average height for adult Asian women is 61.5 inches, with a standard deviation of about 2.5 inches. If we assume that Sarasa is 70 inches tall (and I would have guessed her to be even taller than that) then that would put her in the top .03% of the female population, or about 1 in 3,000 frequency. That would probably fairly qualify as "freakish."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Yes, I know what "comic relief" is, and it's not what I was talking about. But if you can think of a title that matches what I did describe, I'm all ears. Smile
Horimiya comes to mind. Horimiya pre chapter 40 was Drama/Romance. After chapter 40 it was SoL/Comedy
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
James wrote:
The internet tells me that the average height for a 17-year-old Japanese girl is roughly 5'1”, which tracks with the handful of Japanese young-adults I've hung out with. Ai seems to be a bit on the short side, but we'll go ahead and stick with 5'1”, and since Sarasa is fully a head and some change taller than Ai, that would put her at, oh, let's say 5'10”-ish? That would be considered “tall” here in the US by most standards, but not “freakishly” so, which I suppose makes the whole school's impressed/intimidated reactions pretty amusing.

I actually use cases similar to this every year when I teach about standard deviation in Math classes.

The average height for adult Asian women is 61.5 inches, with a standard deviation of about 2.5 inches. If we assume that Sarasa is 70 inches tall (and I would have guessed her to be even taller than that) then that would put her in the top .03% of the female population, or about 1 in 3,000 frequency. That would probably fairly qualify as "freakish."

There's no need to assume, we know that Sarasa is 178 cm tall, which Google tells me is 5'8". At 15 years old! I don't know about the US, but where I live 178 cm is fairly tall for an adult woman (I'm considered tall-ish and I'm 172 cm), never mind a 15 year old girl, especially in Japan.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Horimiya comes to mind. Horimiya pre chapter 40 was Drama/Romance. After chapter 40 it was SoL/Comedy

I disagree. Even ignoring that most sites do not list Horimiya as a drama, early Horimiya is still clearly a comedy.

@Gina Szanboti
One show I can think of that gradually shifted more towards comedy than drama is spoiler[Vinland saga]. It doesn't become a ROFL chuckle fest, but it does become lighter and optimistic. There are more jokes and funny reaction shots in recent arcs.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:37 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
09jcg wrote:

I disagree. Even ignoring that most sites do not list Horimiya as a drama, early Horimiya is still clearly a comedy.

@Gina Szanboti
One show I can think of that gradually shifted more towards comedy than drama is spoiler[Vinland saga]. It doesn't become a ROFL chuckle fest, but it does become lighter and optimistic. There are more jokes and funny reaction shots in recent arcs.
Well as I mentioned up thread, tags are flawed. I refer you to my post about Re Life. I also agree it had comedy, but in keeping with the other posters statement, you can have a drama focused and intersperse it with comedy. There's an angstyness to miyamura that is prevalent early on and gets mostly dropped post 40. Hence the example. However if you want to say only pure genres need to apply, then Sven Vikings point should stand

As a side note, a trend I'm noticing while looking up shows and animes regarding to the tag stuff is that animes with Romance seem to often lack the drama tag, even when drama is an element. An example I just looked up is Saekano
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

What you’re describing is unrelated to anything I said so I’m not really sure why you’re describing it to me. Level E comes to mind although it did always have comedic elements.

HAL14 wrote:

To be honest Berserk wasn’t too far off towards the (unintended) end of the manga. The comic relief quotient goes way up, with an increasing number of main characters and even some recurring villains used primarily for comic relief.

Last edited by Sven Viking on Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:47 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
There's no need to assume, we know that Sarasa is 178 cm tall, which Google tells me is 5'8". At 15 years old! I don't know about the US, but where I live 178 cm is fairly tall for an adult woman (I'm considered tall-ish and I'm 172 cm), never mind a 15 year old girl, especially in Japan.

Not sure where you got your conversion from, but 178 cm ≈ 70 inches, not 68. (BTW, good eye, James, for estimating that correctly!) That would be as unusual in a Japanese high school as a girl who's 73 inches (185 cm) tall would be in a U.S. high school populated mostly by black or white students. In 25+ years of working with high school students on a daily basis, I've only encountered girls (or, for that matter, female teachers) that tall a handful of times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
SHD wrote:

Not sure where you got your conversion from, but 178 cm ≈ 70 inches, not 68.

As I said - Google. I'm not familiar with imperial measurements.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 22