• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'So I'm a Spider, So What?' CG Assistant Addresses Production Issues Around Delayed Finale

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Lets be real, the age of multi cour anime is kinda outdated. More and more series are going for the split cour format, and it seems to work well by both keeping the anime quality up and giving animators a nice break. As soon as I saw which studio was doing Spider and that it was gonna be 24 continuous episodes, I was worried something was gonna go wrong.

If I remember correctly, one tweet from Spider's official account at the beginning of the season said that the anime was originally planed as a split cour project but Covid delays ended making the first half airing too close to the second half.

I mean, you can quite see how even when the human animation of the first half isn't excelent, it is way better than the second half's one.
The studio probably finished most of the first half on time but Covid breakdown affected the second half.

Last edited by linkhuesitos15 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I'm sorry to hear the outsourced animation on So I'm a Spider let them down, but I'm inclined to think that the studio bears some responsibility for managing the work being done by their partners, and with WUG! S2 suggesting this isn't an isolated incident, I'm suspect I'm going to steer clear of Millepensee productions in the future.

Most of the problems of Milipense comes from the Director Shin Itagaki, for some reason he likes to make the story board and Key animation of every single episode instead of rotating with other Staff member like in most productions.

Also, Milipense have beared a mark of infamity since Berserk which has lead to the studio to not get many jobs.
Before Berserk, Milipense worked in several animes per year but after Berserk they have only worked in 1 anime every 2 years.
Berserk - 2017
Cop Craft - 2019
Spider - 2021

I would also not discard problems with Kadokawa, who seems to have changed the studio of the anime mid production.
In the Original PV released on 2018 (I think) you can see scenes that were not adapted into the final anime and changes in the designs of characters.

This image for example shows Shun's appraisal ceremony from volume 1, meanwhile the anime lacks this scene 'because it skipped the whole volume 1 from Shun's side.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
linkhuesitos15 wrote:

Also, Milipense have beared a mark of infamity since Berserk which has lead to the studio to not get many jobs.
Before Berserk, Milipense worked in several animes per year but after Berserk they have only worked in 1 anime every 2 years.
Berserk - 2017
Cop Craft - 2019
Spider - 2021

I think you're getting things a little mixed up here. The only shows Millepensee produced before Berserk were shorts. Specifically the Teekyu series which were 90-second episodes, along with a couple of spinoffs around the same length. Berserk was their first full-length production. Any work they're credited for before that is stuff like 2nd Key Animation, In-Between Animation, and other smaller tasks that larger studios farm out to smaller ones to make deadlines.

What's more, they've continued to do those jobs for shows produced after Berserk aired. So whatever harm their track record may have done to them in the eyes of fans, it certainly hasn't impacted their ability to get the same work they had beforehand.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

I think you're getting things a little mixed up here. The only shows Millepensee produced before Berserk were shorts. Specifically the Teekyu series which were 90-second episodes, along with a couple of spinoffs around the same length. Berserk was their first full-length production.

I didn't know that, then my bad.
Thanks for the info.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2