Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Announces Switch's New OLED Model for October 8 Release


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WANNFH



Joined: 13 Mar 2011
Posts: 1049
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:59 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Oh man, without a newer model with better performance it's going to be hilarious to see how that Arceus game runs. The Switch is already struggling with games like Age of Calamity, and it's only going to get worse.
The problem that even if Nintendo actually gonna introduce the new model, for the devs it's just will be the excuse to be even lazier with the optimization of resources in the development.

Really, because Age of Calamity did not run well on Switch, people should blame KT (who fact are known for doing the poor man job when it comes to Q&A) first than Switch capabilities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoelBurger



Joined: 14 Oct 2011
Posts: 192
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
The problem that even if Nintendo actually gonna introduce the new model, for the devs it's just will be the excuse to be even lazier with the optimization of resources in the development.

Really, because Age of Calamity did not run well on Switch, people should blame KT (who fact are known for doing the poor man job when it comes to Q&A) first than Switch capabilities.


The problem extends beyond any one developer. Games like Apex Legends and Doom Eternal are running just as terribly on the Switch, because the Switch as it currently is is not equipped to handle these games - and that will only become more of an issue as PS5 and Series X become the norm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
residentgrigo



Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 1943
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote
The Switch is halfway through its lifecycle, sold about 85 million units and the only Nintendo mid-gen update that worked was the GBC. Well, late gen. A Switch Pro at this stage would have only fractured the market so I am glad to not be faced with a Switch Pro this year. Or ever.

Doom Eternal or the legit problematic The Outer Worlds on the Switch are pipedreams. A 15 to 20% beefier console wouldn´t salvage anything major and would only lead to even crazier ports. The original Xbox One is marketed to be able to run Cyberpunk 2077 but it never will. Imagine if you put a 720P version of the last-gen port on the Switch "Pro". Just imagine...
Wanna cutting-edge tech? Don´t buy Nintendo. Playing Ys IX in bed serves me just fine when it comes to ports. It is also possible to hack the Switch to overclock it or play around with graphics options that way. A marginally better running Switcher 3 that will cook your system´s plastic and half the battery life is already possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZelosZoidberg



Joined: 23 May 2018
Posts: 257
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:
Hilariously worthless to anyone who already owns a Switch
Double Ultra worthless to anyone who keeps it docked and doesnt play portable

RIP dreams of a "Pro" model that would run a lot of new games at higher than 20 FPS. I look forward to the next pokemon continuing to be 5 fps in the big online area. At least there's emulation if your computer is good enough?
Sir/Madam/You I'm gonna have to ask you politely to stop posting bullshit numbers. Most Switch games run at 30 fps with maybe a dip to 24 but never below that unless it's something like The Outer Worlds . A few games even run at 60fps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
omegafinal



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 96
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Given BotW2's 2022 release, I had a funny feeling that this rumored revision might be different from a "Pro" model. A Pro announcement would be the best case. But the OLED, I guess it's a nice upgrade if your OG model's battery is dying, and you do a lot of handheld gaming.

The dock is nice too, with the LAN built in. But you can just buy a LAN adapter if you really need it and play a lot of online.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoelBurger



Joined: 14 Oct 2011
Posts: 192
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Sir/Madam/You I'm gonna have to ask you politely to stop posting bullshit numbers. Most Switch games run at 30 fps with maybe a dip to 24 but never below that unless it's something like The Outer Worlds . A few games even run at 60fps.


That's not exactly anything to be proud of. That's also untrue, people have tested Age of Calamity and it averages between 17 and 22 FPS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZelosZoidberg



Joined: 23 May 2018
Posts: 257
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's not exactly anything to be proud of. That's also untrue, people have tested Age of Calamity and it averages between 17 and 22 FPS.
Then why didn't you say those numbers instead? Besides that's just one game and from Koei Tecmo who are dog shit at game optimizations. And considering how under powered the Switch is it is something to be proud about considering some games (mostly from Painc Button). It's just like seeing DOOM run on a pregnancy test sometimes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AiddonValentine



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 1965
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Was there ever any proof the Switch Pro actually existed or was it just something the Internet made up based on rumors and questionable "leaks"?


Truth be told, people were demanding a "Switch Pro" basically since before it even launched in 2017. It's been four years now and there's nothing proving there ever was one or will be one. A report from Bloomberg got some things right with this, but as usual some aspects were true and some weren't. The OLED screen and redesigned dock were true, but there is no 4K and no DLSS. I think a lot of it was just people making up wish lists and crying foul when it didn't pan out. It's why I'm already seeing parts of techbro and gaming Youtube trying to move goalposts and throwing tantrums. It's pathetic.

And the fact is, the Switch doesn't really need a "Pro." It's on its fifth year, there are no signs of sales slowing down, and it's still getting hot properties both from Nintendo and 3rd parties. At this rate they can probably stretch it to 2024 before needing to get a new console out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suxinn



Joined: 23 Jan 2009
Posts: 156
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
OK, but will the new Switch dock work with the non-OLED Switch? I'm definitely not all that interested in a full Switch upgrade, but a dock upgrade? Maybe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZelosZoidberg



Joined: 23 May 2018
Posts: 257
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine^ This! At this point a Switch Pro is useless because based on history Nintendo consoles almost always have a 5 year cycle. Another thing is I believe they would need a whole new chip for DLSS to work because it needs Tensor Cores which are only on the RTX Cards and the Switch has a Tegra X1. Best wait for the Super Switch or whatever Nintendo decides to call it. Also based on history Nintendo will drop the ball on that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ranran-001



Joined: 25 Oct 2018
Posts: 386
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
OK, but will the new Switch dock work with the non-OLED Switch? I'm definitely not all that interested in a full Switch upgrade, but a dock upgrade? Maybe.


Its possible, but then, you only gain the ethernet port.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZelosZoidberg



Joined: 23 May 2018
Posts: 257
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
OK, but will the new Switch dock work with the non-OLED Switch? I'm definitely not all that interested in a full Switch upgrade, but a dock upgrade? Maybe.
That is a good question. While I myself don't use LAN except for my Windows gaming PC I do like the more bulkiness of it.


Last edited by ZelosZoidberg on Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AiddonValentine



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 1965
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
AiddonValentine^ This! At this point a Switch Pro is useless because based on history Nintendo consoles almost always have a 5 year cycle. Another thing is I believe they would need a whole new chip for DLSS to work because it needs Tensor Cores which are only on the RTX Cards and the Switch has a Tegra X1. Best wait for the Super Switch or whatever Nintendo decides to call it. Also based on history Nintendo will drop the ball on that.


And then there's the whole chip shortage that's caused the PS5 and Series to sell slower than expected and it's probably going to continue for awhile. And it usually takes new consoles awhile to get going not only because of supply, but because of developers getting used to them. My guess is Nintendo will drop their new system in 2023, maybe early 2024 so they'll up to speed with Sony and MS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdnation



Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 1531
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Eh, don't worry.

From the looks of things cross gen and titles developed for PS4 and Xbone are going to be still going. So Nintendo is in no rush to push a more powerful system out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 2600
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Personally I played docked 99% of the time, so I won't be getting this. It's nice to see though for those who play portable as the OLED screen should look great.

Hopefully the next hardware announced is a "New/Pro" version though. Preferably with a home only version to save some money. Maybe around whenever BotW2 comes out?
Personally I don't need 4k on it, but I'd love to see existing titles run smoother that a power bump could provide.

Suxinn wrote:
OK, but will the new Switch dock work with the non-OLED Switch? I'm definitely not all that interested in a full Switch upgrade, but a dock upgrade? Maybe.


Yes, both switches will work with both docks (https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model-/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model--2000984.html)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group