• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, nice to see Sentai licensing something new. Unsurprisingly it's heavy on fanservice.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
What version(s) is Sentai streaming? I'm not currently subscribed to Hi-Dive because most of their stuff I'd watch tends to be fan service series, and most of those I have to wait for the disc release because the stream is censored to hell. Sounds like there will at least somewhere exist an uncensored stream so I'm somewhat hopeful here.
SlamMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
According to the HiDive news page they will be streaming both the TV and the Uncensored version every Wednesday starting next week.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
What version(s) is Sentai streaming? I'm not currently subscribed to Hi-Dive because most of their stuff I'd watch tends to be fan service series, and most of those I have to wait for the disc release because the stream is censored to hell. Sounds like there will at least somewhere exist an uncensored stream so I'm somewhat hopeful here.

HiDive often does add the uncensored versions for streaming when they become available. Most of the time, that's when the disc release is about to come out, since there usually isn't any uncensored version to stream during the broadcasts. They did stream the less-censored "Great Philosopher" version of Peter Grill during the broadcast, though, and it looks like this series will follow a similar pattern.

All in all, HiDive doesn't have the home-video version for all of their shows -- Parasyte and Non Non Biyori only have broadcast versions, for example -- but if you want uncensored streams for fanservice series, HiDive has a lot more of them in their catalogue than, say, CR.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling Sentai might be able to get this one.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
What version(s) is Sentai streaming?

https://www.hidive.com/news/2021/7/7/the-mother-of-the-goddess-dormitory-uncensored-simulcast-comes-to-hidive
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
HiDive often does add the uncensored versions for streaming when they become available. Most of the time, that's when the disc release is about to come out, since there usually isn't any uncensored version to stream during the broadcasts. They did stream the less-censored "Great Philosopher" version of Peter Grill during the broadcast, though, and it looks like this series will follow a similar pattern.

All in all, HiDive doesn't have the home-video version for all of their shows -- Parasyte and Non Non Biyori only have broadcast versions, for example -- but if you want uncensored streams for fanservice series, HiDive has a lot more of them in their catalogue than, say, CR.

I realize it isn't necessarily HiDive at fault for not offering it. It seems like a lot of the series don't have uncensored tv versions in Japan anymore. I'm sure they have subscribers that are fine with getting the uncensored versions at disc release, but I'd rather just buy the BD at that point. Probably a lot later on when they're discounted. Not because I'm cheap, but because I'll have forgotten the series existed until I just happen to see it pop up on sale.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:17 pm Reply with quote
One would think that given their sizes, both CR and Funi would be able to get more uncensored simulcasts more often. When I say this, I mean at least 1-2 a season for each streaming giant here.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:39 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
One would think that given their sizes, both CR and Funi would be able to get more uncensored simulcasts more often. When I say this, I mean at least 1-2 a season for each streaming giant here.

It's not a matter of can they, it's a matter of if they want to.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:54 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I realize it isn't necessarily HiDive at fault for not offering it. It seems like a lot of the series don't have uncensored tv versions in Japan anymore. I'm sure they have subscribers that are fine with getting the uncensored versions at disc release, but I'd rather just buy the BD at that point. Probably a lot later on when they're discounted. Not because I'm cheap, but because I'll have forgotten the series existed until I just happen to see it pop up on sale.

Anime was never at a point where fully uncensored TV versions aired commonly in Japan, unless there was nothing to censor in the first place. Having to buy the DVDs/BDs to see the more explicit content's been a thing since home video releases were a thing. It's a marketing tool as much as it is a way to get around broadcast restrictions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1