• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Wars: Visions Anime Shorts Reveal Studios, September 22 Disney+ Launch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I did not see this coming. I am excited for Geno Studio's short (as a fan of Genocidal Organ) and obviously TRIGGER. Well, since this happened with Star Wars (a big bonus after the STITCH anime series) then there's a chance a Kingdom Hearts anime (what I always wanted if it did happen rather than a Western cartoon, which is what the folks at Disney tried to do) isn't out of the question.

Last edited by Rob19ny on Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
THE HYPE ..... IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Honestly though, when they first mentioned this, I was thought this would just be lightsaber fights anime style (which would have been 100% My Shit™) but it seems that it will have that + extra stuff which is even better.

Edit:The Imaishi/Trigger one is so Promare it hurts. This is also unyoung Choi's first director credit. I always thought she had been the director before, weird.

P.S Check out this cool animated short inspired by 80/90s anime-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

Last edited by Abraham Omosun on Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Finally, some more actual legit anime content coming for Disney+ and besides Marvel Disk Wars and Future Avengers being the only anime representation for Marvel on Disney+, I would like to see more Disney+ original content that isn't necessarily tied to famous IP and would like to see some anime original content on there as well.

As for what we have seen here with the sneak peek into Star Wars: Visions, it looks very promising so far and if any of these anime anthology shorts are going to be well received, don't be surprised if Lucasfilm would be interested into bringing some of the anime studios involved with Visions back to do a full fledged anime series exclusive to Disney+ someday because we all know that this will definitely happen!

Anyways, I hope that we will also see an anime anthology series for the Marvel Cinematic Universe as well someday too because something as big as that would eventually get one someday too although the upcoming animated series What If? has already filled that niche of having animated ties ins for the MCU but I definitely think that with the multiverse about to be expanded in the MCU, an anime tie in series would not feel as farfetched as we think it is.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
THE HYPE ..... IT'S OVER 9000!!!
Edit:The Imaishi/Trigger one is so Promare it hurts. This is also unyoung Choi's first director credit. I always thought she had been the director before, weird.

She has worked as Episode Director on a handful of shows so technically she has directed before but in anime terms this would probably mark her debut as a lead director on a project so to speak.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Finally, some more actual legit anime content coming for Disney+ and besides Marvel Disk Wars and Future Avengers being the only anime representation for Marvel on Disney+, I would like to see more Disney+ original content that isn't necessarily tied to famous IP and would like to see some anime original content on there as well.

Don't worry, and not sure if this count. Last year, there was talks about Kingdom Hearts CG animation series coming to Disney+ in the near future (I know it doesn't count as anime, but it's something). But I'm hoping the success of Kingdom Heart's CG animation series could lead to Disney doing more original content for Disney+ that catered to anime fans in Japan and in the US/west. I wouldn't mind if Square Enix and Disney could team up to adapt World of Final Fantasy into a Disney+ original anime series given that game had a lot of anime cutscene, and people who played the game said that this game deserved to get a anime series because of the animated cutscenes. If World of Final Fantasy ever become a anime series for a Disney+ original, I would love the same studio that did the anime cutscene for the game to do the animation for the hypothetical Disney+ original anime adaptation (or a spin-off/sequel to the game).

Also, about the studio(s) that are doing Star Wars: Vision. A while back, I created a list of possible studios that would highly likely get involved in this project. I wasn't surprised by Studio Trigger and Production I.G getting involved (that was to be expected). But the other studio involved really surprised me because I thought we would see Madhouse, Studio 4°C, BONES, Toei, TMS, Sunrise, and ufotable (I would've also love to see Studio Ghibli too) getting involved in this. And they chose not to get involved, which really both surprise and disappointed me.

Well I hope this anime anthology is a success for Disney+ and the Star Wars team (and the animation studio that are doing this). I can't wait to see this in September, glad I kept my Disney+ subscription for this reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chronium

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I just wish these were full episodes instead of shorts.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Super excited to see this series on Disney+ and I had a feeling that Trigger, Production I.G., and Science Saru are one of the studios handling these Star Wars anime shorts, but never expected Studio Colorido, Geno Studio, Kinema Citrus Co. and Kamikase Douga be involved in them as well. While I know Studio Colorido from their work on Penguin Highway, A Whisker Away, Burn the Witch and Episodes 1, 3-8 of Pokemon Twilight Wings, not too familiar with Geno Studio, Kinema Citrus Co. and Kamikase Douga and which projects they worked on, but I'm very excited to see what they put into these respective shorts.

mdo7 wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:

Don't worry, and not sure if this count. Last year, there was talks about Kingdom Hearts CG animation series coming to Disney+ in the near future (I know it doesn't count as anime, but it's something). But I'm hoping the success of Kingdom Heart's CG animation series could lead to Disney doing more original content for Disney+ that catered to anime fans in Japan and in the US/west. I wouldn't mind if Square Enix and Disney could team up to adapt World of Final Fantasy into a Disney+ original anime series given that game had a lot of anime cutscene, and people who played the game said that this game deserved to get a anime series because of the animated cutscenes. If World of Final Fantasy ever become a anime series for a Disney+ original, I would love the same studio that did the anime cutscene for the game to do the animation for the hypothetical Disney+ original anime adaptation (or a spin-off/sequel to the game).

Also, about the studio(s) that are doing Star Wars: Vision. A while back, I created a list of possible studios that would highly likely get involved in this project. I wasn't surprised by Studio Trigger and Production I.G getting involved (that was to be expected). But the other studio involved really surprised me because I thought we would see Madhouse, Studio 4°C, BONES, Toei, TMS, Sunrise, and ufotable (I would've also love to see Studio Ghibli too) getting involved in this. And they chose not to get involved, which really both surprise and disappointed me.

Well I hope this anime anthology is a success for Disney+ and the Star Wars team (and the animation studio that are doing this). I can't wait to see this in September, glad I kept my Disney+ subscription for this reason.

I also see Disney slowly getting into the anime dubbing game with their Disney+ streaming service sooner or later as shown through the various articles posted this year such as this Hollywood Reporter article in April:

Quote:
"Sources close to Disney in Asia, meanwhile, say the studio is looking to build out a robust team and slate of Japanese scripted originals, believing the category offers under-leveraged value. The studio also is said to be pursuing a more targeted, rather than high-volume, approach to anime, picking marquee hits that match the Disney+ brand."

And the Project Anime.org article released back in February:

Quote:
"The streaming war on a region-by-region level will likely end after Crunchyroll is acquired by Funimation Global Group, a joint venture between Sony Pictures Entertainment and Aniplex. With Netflix announcing at least 16 anime titles set for 2021, the fight for more anime and titles will intensify and go global. Disney is most likely the newest player to enter the global streaming war and may acquire anime for its streaming platform Disney+. Disney has already signaled an interest with 10 animated Star Wars films by Japanese anime creators set for 2021. The details behind how involved anime creators are vague at this time. But I expect Disney to be involved, possibly acquiring full TV anime series or adapting their own property into anime series, following the success of Netflix original anime series.

Disney is also no stranger to anime and has an established track record with Studio Ghibli films. Walt Disney Japan has active relationships with various Japanese companies, including Aniplex. Additionally, Walt Disney Japan and Aniplex launched a new mobile game called Twisted Wonderland, which depicts multiple villains and groups from the Disney franchise in a visual novel style. The game is currently available in Japan but bolsters over 1.5 million users. I anticipate it could be a jumping-off point for Disney to dive deeper into the anime ecosystem."

Hopefully, we get some interesting Anime original titles that Disney will add to their service and possibly license.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:

Well remember the original Clone Wars started out as microseries before being rebooted into a full multi season show.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
So stocked to see this, especially since they’ll be original stories! Very Happy
chronium

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
chronium wrote:

Well remember the original Clone Wars started out as microseries before being rebooted into a full multi season show.

They were already working on the CG series before those shorts came out.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:58 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:

Hey, they can provide basis for future shows you know.
chronium

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
chronium wrote:

I care more about now than what might never happen.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:20 pm Reply with quote
This looks really cool!

I'm guessing they'll have full English casts? I'm wondering about Japanese casts, too.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
chronium wrote:

I care more about now than what might never happen.

No need to get pessimistic either. The episodes can provide just as much content in certain ways even if it doesn’t seem like it.
chronium

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

No need to get pessimistic either. The episodes can provide just as much content in certain ways even if it doesn’t seem like it.

I've seen enough of these anthology shorts to know that they're fun but never enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2