• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Hathaway Film Sells Over 90,000 Blu-ray Discs Just in Theaters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronos02

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I it just me, or doesn't anyone else find it strange for theatres to sell BD sets of a movie that has just released? It would be nice if an additional explanation was provided as to why these BDs are being sold at theatres; was this a special promotion? a limited release? is something else going on?

I mean, it's the first time, I think, that I've heard of a movie ticket being sold for a movie you can simply buy on the very same theatre...

Or maybe it's just me.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
I it just me, or doesn't anyone else find it strange for theatres to sell BD sets of a movie that has just released? It would be nice if an additional explanation was provided as to why these BDs are being sold at theatres; was this a special promotion? a limited release? is something else going on?

I mean, it's the first time, I think, that I've heard of a movie ticket being sold for a movie you can simply buy on the very same theatre...

Or maybe it's just me.

It doesn't happen too often, but I have heard about this before. For example, I believe Yamato 2199 also had discs sold in theaters, if I recall corrrectly.

If anything, I wonder why it doesn't happen more frequently.
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
This movie revitalized the franchise, huh?

Sunrise and Shochiku (the only ones who produced) must be quite happy with their success on Blu-ray and at the box office.
Kosmogonia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:

Or maybe it's just me.

This is not normal for a Japanese release, which may also explain why the BD sales are so high: collectibility. What you also have to consider is the high cost of the blu ray itself at around $60 for the disc, which can only be purchased when you show the cashier a valid movie ticket for Gundam. I spent $30 to see the film in 4D and then purchased the BD. They are making just shy of $100 a pop for each customer like me who wanted to see the movie in 4D and also buy the blu ray. Plus they still love physical media in Japan so the high sales do not surprise me. I can only hope it means more high quality Gundam releases to come!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1