• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Hayao Miyazaki's Future Boy Conan Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I imagine if the Key estate is relenting, then it's because Kindle sales of the book have helped renew interest in the anime. Can you confirm he hated it, because the hook is using the anime as a selling point. But yeah, GKids would have to be as amateur as 4Kids to try to pull a fast one on the publisher. As for the anime, it's like One piece without the shonen tropes. So yes, it's boring. And I don't like OP, either. But at least OP is busy.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
. As for the anime, it's like One piece without the shonen tropes. So yes, it's boring. And I don't like OP, either. But at least OP is busy.

One Piece Is repetitive to death, this at least has only 26 episodes...
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
There are many authors that didn't like the movie adaptations of their books, but nobody ever opposed this strongly...

The Estate of E.E. Doc Smith. Doc Smith's widow blamed the Lensman anime movie and TV series for wrecking a huge Hollywood movie deal, and instructed her son (the current executor of the estate) to never allow the anime to be released anywhere where Doc Smith's copyrights held sway. As of around 2015, the Doc Smith Estate's position hasn't changed.

Which is why there hasn't been release of the Lensman anime in any form in over 20 years. Chances are, we'll have to wait until 2036 (when Doc Smith's works officially go into Public Domain) before Kodansha will break those animes out of their vault.

GATSU wrote:
But yeah, GKids would have to be as amateur as 4Kids to try to pull a fast one on the publisher.

I don't think it would be GKids fault. It could be that whoever sold them the rights from Japan just didn't do their IP due diligence - which is evidently exactly what happened when Streamline tried to bring the Lensman movie to the US in the 1990s.

I note that in all of the news articles and press releases on this announcement, not once is it mentioned that Future Boy Conan is an adaptation of The Incredible Tide, or even that the original story is by Alexander Key. My fear is that, once more, someone was too eager to make a deal and didn't check everything. "Hey, we've got this TV series by Hayao Miyazaki on our books, why don't we sell it?". Not trying to scuttle the celebration, but I would be much more comfortable if GKids at least acknowledged the connection between the two works.

ADDENDUM
ANN: Is there any chance you guys could reach out to GKids and clarify if this release is with the full cooperation of the Alexander Key Literary Estate?

Last edited by DeTroyes on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
It's about time that Future Boy Conan came to the West (especially considering its Western origins).
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:
There are many authors that didn't like the movie adaptations of their books, but nobody ever opposed this strongly...

The Estate of E.E. Doc Smith. Doc Smith's widow blamed the Lensman anime movie and TV series for wrecking a huge Hollywood movie deal, and instructed her son (the current executor of the estate) to never allow the anime to be released anywhere where Doc Smith's copyrights held sway. As of around 2015, the Doc Smith's Estate position hadn't changed.

Which is why there hasn't been release of the Lensman anime in any form in over 20 years. Chances are, we'll have to wait until 2036 (when Doc Smith's works officially go into Public Domain) before Kodansha will break those animes out of their vault.

Oh yeah, I've Heard about that, I totally forgot... Very Happy

But not even Ursula K. Le Guin was so strict, despite her hating the movie made by studio Ghibli in 2006. She said she would never allow another japanese studio adapt one of her work again, but the movie was allowed to be sold in every country. Yeah, that movie wasn't great, but at least she got more readers with that. Stephen King hated Kubrick's The Shining, but he didn't stop the release of the movie (ok, maybe he couldn't do it). Authors (especially book writers) are strange beasts sometimes...
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
But not even Ursula K. Le Guin was so strict, despite her hating the movie made by studio Ghibli in 2006. She said she would never allow another japanese studio adapt one of her work again, but the movie was allowed to be sold in every country. Yeah, that movie wasn't great, but at least she got more readers with that. Stephen King hated Kubrick's The Shining, but he didn't stop the release of the movie (ok, maybe he couldn't do it). Authors (especially book writers) are strange beasts sometimes...

Agreed. But Alexander Key was from a different time, when movie and TV adaptations weren't viewed in the same way that they are now. Also, at the time, Hayao Miyazaki was a complete unknown, and Key died long before Miyazaki became the Kami-no-Anime he is today. Had Key lived much longer, that attitude might have softened (heck, I doubt he even saw the TV series beyond the initial test animation; he probably thought it was just going be another crappy Hanna Barbara low-budget piece o'crap).
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:
It's about time that Future Boy Conan came to the West (especially considering its Western origins).

The show already came to the West, it received a Neutral Spanish dub made in Los Angeles back in the 80s, Conan was voiced by the late Jesús Barrero, who was famous for voicing characters like Pegasus Seiya, Rick Hunter and Luke Skywalker. Well, at least now the series can be widely available in the U.S.
Turro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Great news, Have fond memories watching this show as a kid, it had a very decent Spanish dub.
First day buyer by sure.
retroshojo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Fingers crossed for Heidi: Girl of the Alps!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:

What an ass...I haven't read Alexander Key's novel, but the anime was good enough for me. There are many authors that didn't like the movie adaptations of their books, but nobody ever opposed this strongly...

The TV show is a kids' cartoon bearing very little relation to Key's novel beyond a couple of elements in the setting. He probably viewed it as an insult to his work. It could be that Key's estate is now so far removed from Key himself that the accountants are looking at the royalty returns of the man's novels (some, e.g. Escape from Witch Mountain, have received numerous film adaptations) vs. the potential for skimming off Miyazaki's fame. For that matter, the current heirs may feel a greater affinity for Miyazaki's work than they do for Key's.

Of course, I only read his novel because I watched a fansub of Miyazaki's series (and the only thing I remember about the book is how different it was from the anime in almost all regards).

The news that this is getting released is great news. You'll see in it early forms of lots of visual and plot elements that got further development in Miyazaki's later works --- watching Future boy Conan and then following it up with Castle in the Sky would be a treat.

And gosh, Conan has strong toes.

(Sad that no one got my "Looks Delicious!" reference.)
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
Boring, really? Except some episode I've always thought it was a great adventure series...only some episode were really boring, but the rest is great, even nowadays.

Yeah, some episodes were slow but overall I think it’s some of Miyazaki’s best work, personally.

Never_Know_Best wrote:
Great! Anne and Heidi are next, right?

Not sure about elsewhere but Anne was officially released by Madman in Australia.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Otaku-sempai wrote:

The show already came to the West, it received a Neutral Spanish dub made in Los Angeles back in the 80s, Conan was voiced by the late Jesús Barrero, who was famous for voicing characters like Pegasus Seiya, Rick Hunter and Luke Skywalker. Well, at least now the series can be widely available in the U.S.

Oh, yes. I have heard of that; thanks for the reminder. I was thinking of an English dub and had forgotten about the Spanish one.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
The premise of this sounds very similar to Laputa: Castle in the Sky.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:52 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The premise of this sounds very similar to Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

Yeah, they have strong similarities.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:43 am Reply with quote
Anther Series that I never thought would get licensed gets licensed this year. Very Happy I watched this series a couple years ago with fansubs and I enjoyed it. Since Miyazaki directed it, I'm sure it will do well in the States.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4