• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Release Demon Slayer Spinoff Manga, Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai, Alice in Border

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrillerMystery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
ThrillerMystery wrote:
So the Dragon Quest manga FINALLY gets an English release. About Time! This is something that should've happened in the 90s/2000's. Why license it now? I thought Viz don't translate old manga.

I imagine it's related to Japan's 30th Anniversary push plus with the response of the new anime here being positive so far, this came at a good time.

There's also the recent Kanzenban editions of the manga which just finished last week and with Viz using the first volume's cover for the announcement, They will be using these instead of the originals.

Despite the original anime ended so prematurely and has been dubbed into every language except English? Then again, this is for the manga so even without a show, it doesn't make it any less popular. As for the anime, it's not Toei's fault. They probably thought "Eh, what's the point of commissioning a dub when we never got to finish the story'".

I will say, quite taken a back to see it receiving more attention despite it's obscurity in the Anglosphere world. It's beloved in many European and other non-English speaking territories and we we're the only ones missing out on a great series. Even though I have my own issues with the 2020 remake, at least it helped people become more invested into the series.

Although they're keeping Dai's name, is anyone else here suspecting name changes?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
ThrillerMystery wrote:

Despite the original anime ended so prematurely and has been dubbed into every language except English? Then again, this is for the manga so even without a show, it doesn't make it any less popular.

Dragon Quest didn't really start to become relatively more popular in English-speaking territories until only the past few years with DQXI's release. Prior to that it was a cult favorite, which started with DQVIII, and before that it was almost forgotten about, for the most part. That's why the original Dai anime never saw release in English. Hell, Saban tried bringing over the Yusha Abel anime that came before Dai, using the old Dragon Warrior name, and that become instantly forgotten & only ran for 13 episodes here.

Quote:
Although they're keeping Dai's name, is anyone else here suspecting name changes?

Just like the anime, I imagine the only name changes will be in regards to monsters & spells, so as to maintain continuity with Square-Enix's official translations for the games. I highly doubt any characters will get their names altered, because why would they? This isn't the 90s anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2