• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kickstarter Suspends Anime Tube Crowdfunding Campaign

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
What really pisses me off right now about this situation is that a lot of these backers got suckered into believing that the Kickstarter suspension was “reversible” when it really isn’t. I didn’t know that Kickstarter campaign suspensions were irreversible until reading this article, so this is an especially blatant lie from George and his fellow scammers. So the especially gullible backers are just gonna keep believing and believing that the Anime Tube Kickstarter is going to be unsuspended in the near future or whatnot (some might even think there’s still a possibility for a third Kickstarter campaign to be made) while the staff behind this scam keep quietly deleting accounts and comments in the background. At least these scammers didn’t make off with the money in the end like I brought up earlier in this thread; that would’ve made this situation much worse.

Also worth noting is that they’re promising further updates from their “newsletter.” Which requires payment, and is through their own personal payment processor. Aka another scam to get credit card numbers with an unprotected system. As for the delusion part it doesn’t really matter. One of the first rules of scamming is to never admit a mistake, because that labels you a scammer. It’s better to be seen as delusional because other delusional people are still a mark, or you can rebrand later as having fixed something so thet this time you really know what your doing, etc. The doors of grifting always remain open as long as you can brand the past as misguided failure instead of admitting it was an obvious scam.

These people really don’t regret a single thing they’re doing, huh? They care so little about the people they’re ripping off that they’re running two scams at the same time now. Didn’t think they could get more scummy than they already were.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
It's like they weren't even trying to hide this was a scam... Even the spam calls my aging mother gets about her non-existent car warranty seem almost legitimate by comparison.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
ATastySub wrote:
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
What really pisses me off right now about this situation is that a lot of these backers got suckered into believing that the Kickstarter suspension was “reversible” when it really isn’t. I didn’t know that Kickstarter campaign suspensions were irreversible until reading this article, so this is an especially blatant lie from George and his fellow scammers. So the especially gullible backers are just gonna keep believing and believing that the Anime Tube Kickstarter is going to be unsuspended in the near future or whatnot (some might even think there’s still a possibility for a third Kickstarter campaign to be made) while the staff behind this scam keep quietly deleting accounts and comments in the background. At least these scammers didn’t make off with the money in the end like I brought up earlier in this thread; that would’ve made this situation much worse.

Also worth noting is that they’re promising further updates from their “newsletter.” Which requires payment, and is through their own personal payment processor. Aka another scam to get credit card numbers with an unprotected system. As for the delusion part it doesn’t really matter. One of the first rules of scamming is to never admit a mistake, because that labels you a scammer. It’s better to be seen as delusional because other delusional people are still a mark, or you can rebrand later as having fixed something so thet this time you really know what your doing, etc. The doors of grifting always remain open as long as you can brand the past as misguided failure instead of admitting it was an obvious scam.

These people really don’t regret a single thing they’re doing, huh? They care so little about the people they’re ripping off that they’re running two scams at the same time now. Didn’t think they could get more scummy than they already were.

It’s the lack of shame that shocks me.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess they'll now go where all the scams booted from Kickstarter go (hint: IndieGoGo).
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
jamiex304 wrote:
From the CEO George Weller Himself:

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/d55edb33-c35b-4baa-86b9-2a1d3ea701c5/downloads/Game%20Face%2C%20LLC%20Press%20Release.pdf?ver=1626192466062

Posted on socials with comments disable. All he is short of doing is screaming Fake News,

This reads like something a high schooler wrote while trying to sound adult. "At approximately 2:18 PM CST..." Like, if you know the exact minute -- and since he's referring to an email, he has a timestamp -- it's not an approximation.

But my favorite bit is when he says that posting screenshots from from series wasn't meant to imply that they had the rights to the series and it's dishonest of others to assume such. That's elementary school level logic right there.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
[ That's elementary school level logic right there.

Laughing

Speaking of which, this part made me LOL hard;

Quote:
4. Per the article, Justin Sevakis commented: "My favorite thing about their Kickstarter is that they claim that they have a lead on licensing stuff because they had a meeting with AJA. AJA IS NOT A LICENSING ORGANIZATION, they're a trade group!!

We have never stated in our Kickstarter campaign that AJA was a licensing organization.

Like way to miss the [censored] point; could you sound any MORE like a five-year-old arguing with his mother?

At least this dumpster fire is incredibly entertaining. It's fun to laugh when people fail as long as they deserve to fail.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Well I guess they'll now go where all the scams booted from Kickstarter go (hint: IndieGoGo).

Yup. Wouldn’t be surprised if these fools try to jump ship over to there by the end of this month.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love it when an official statement reads like a cross between what a butthurt teenager on Reddit might think something "official" sounds like... and well, a butthurt teenager on Reddit. It's also fascinating that they hosted this on some random GoDaddy document server rather than posting it to their "corporate" website or hosting it there.

These clowns just reek of maturity and professionalism.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Gotta love it when an official statement reads like a cross between what a butthurt teenager on Reddit might think something "official" sounds like... and well, a butthurt teenager on Reddit. It's also fascinating that they hosted this on some random GoDaddy document server rather than posting it to their "corporate" website or hosting it there.

These clowns just reek of maturity and professionalism.

Yeah, calling him a con *artist* might give him too much credit.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
A con finger-painter, maybe.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
A con finger-painter, maybe.

Ouch!

Also, stealing that phrase and filing the serial numbers off.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Like others have said earlier, you just gotta love the damage control these scammers have done with the absolute bare minimum of effort needed. I could write a much better explanation of why the Kickstarter campaign was suspended than how these people decided to go about it. Their hilarious excuse of a “press release” reads very much like an essay written at the very last minute before it’s due.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I dont think this interview and that press release did him any favors.

Especially since no matter how he describes it, it is just yet another anime streaming service, which, by the way, there really is no further way to innovate it further that everything is now just a clone of each other where only amzn and nflx can totally ignore offering ad supported videos for folks.

Also, if youre only licensing content that's aired already then piracy will always exists, just go on twitter immediately after a show airs on jpn tv, see the video clips, or folks live translating shows on twitch other platforms.

IMO, he should have gone the traditional route of launching a service, reaching out to megadonors etc to fund raise a reasonable amount to launch a service with 10 to 20 titles, advertise this alpha version, see if theres interest, fund raise a gain, expand, beta, etc. (900 donors for $100K raised only suggests there were just 110 people who gave money, so on the surface it doesnt appear there was much actual interest in anime tube)

Just as that one shirt in Haikyuu!! says "Rome wasn't built in a day"
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
4. Per the article, Justin Sevakis commented: "My favorite thing about their Kickstarter is that they claim that they have a lead on licensing stuff because they had a meeting with AJA. AJA IS NOT A LICENSING ORGANIZATION, they're a trade group!!

We have never stated in our Kickstarter campaign that AJA was a licensing organization.

I see Anime Tube guy vvent to the "my client is not in fact human feces therefore calling him 'a piece of shit' is defamation" school of argumentation Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Ought to change his title to CEO of Douche Face LLC. Scammers and shitheads like this are always looking for another con. Hopefully since it seems more industry reps/companies got involved with, or became aware of, this situation any further attempts will go nowhere and fast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3