• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: Arise Composer Cornelius Tenders Resignation From Olympics After Youth Bul

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:17 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
That's not even bystander syndrome. Doing nothing but watching is bad. "Offering up ideas" makes you a part of the act especially if those ideas are used.

That's why I said the worst kind of; they're still people who do nothing anyway.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:49 am Reply with quote
Sorry if I don't feel sorry for him... Very Happy
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote
If nothing else, news like this is helpful because other horrible people will always out themselves in the comments.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 am Reply with quote
My initial thought was that you shouldn't be punishing someone for something they did like 30 years ago. People can change and that is exactly how I felt with the James Gunn and Guardians of the Galaxy situation as well.

Then I read the things he did and I genuinely could not believe a human being could do something so messed up. He deserves to be severely punished because the things he did was something no sane human being would do
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
My initial thought was that you shouldn't be punishing someone for something they did like 30 years ago. People can change and that is exactly how I felt with the James Gunn and Guardians of the Galaxy situation as well.

Then I read the things he did and I genuinely could not believe a human being could do something so messed up. He deserves to be severely punished because the things he did was something no sane human being would do

And this is only a bit of public shame, there are people that have Lost their jobs for a simple tweet...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
pretty sure the director of Arise also a vicious domestic abuser.

the anime feels pretty cursed

Well, the writer, but yeah, Tow Ubakata is a horrible person who even tried to profit off of his stint in jail. And the anime wasn't even good, just a mediocre entry in a hugely influential franchise.

As for this guy, screw him forever. Considering the severity of what he was doing, it doesn't matter if it was decades ago, the man showed no shame or remorse for doing it and deserves to be hit hard, he deserves to lose gigs, he deserves to lose money. And what really gets me is he admits he merely offered ideas, which shows he was the PATHETIC part of that group, the kind of person who couldn't do it with his own hands. Go to hell and don't come back
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:39 am Reply with quote
People have gotten fired over making simple tweets, some from years ago. This guy has gotten away with being involved in deplorable acts of bullying decades ago, is only now being called out for it, and only got a slap on the wrist?

What the hell is going on here?! This world needs to get its priorities straight.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
I was bullied and did a little bullying. Life on the low end of the social hierarchy (especially in school) is chaos, and we're often pushing people down to get up rather than standing our ground with each other. I regret a lot of what I did in my school days, especially since to the people at the top, once you were at a certain level at the bottom, you were all the same, no matter what you did. In other words, bullying others so that you were bullied less didn't even work.

But the shit this guy did was absolutely psychotic and I wouldn't have ever dreamed to do half of these things to anyone. If you wrote this guy as a character people would tell you that you were being unrealistic. This is Stephen King Bully type of behavior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
As someone who was bullied relentlessly in middle school and high school (for being a geek and having a terrible name), riddle me this: at this point (thirty years later), who cares?

Yes, that's exactly the same as being made to eat shit. Your post is definitely worth reading, yep.

Can you stop pretending that because you got teased in high school, you get to speak for abuse victims worldwide?
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
As someone who was bullied relentlessly in middle school and high school (for being a geek and having a terrible name), riddle me this: at this point (thirty years later), who cares?
[...sic...]
Has anyone followed up with people he bullied? Do they remember? Do they still care? I mean, don't get me wrong, I was messed up a bit from some of the things that happened to me when I was younger. Do I look back and laugh on it now? Sure! Did I carry scars from it? No, not entirely.
[...sic...]
Oh, hang on, let me call the HR department at the companies of every single one of my bullies and bemoan to them all the things they ever did to me and see what they're going to do about it. Are you serious?

I'm not going to compare my bullying to yours, but I'm almost 30 and I'm still going to counseling for the trauma I experienced in school. Without this counseling, I would likely be dead, if not when I was younger, then at some point between graduation and now. Having been a part of the conversation about bullying with Japanese school teachers (I was a manager for a bit), much of the topic has been highlighted in the last two decades due to a significant rise in mental health issues plaguing adults after a known rise in bullying in the 70's and 90's (possibly earlier) and the somewhat recent increase in both child and adult suicides due to bullying in school.

Also, when we call it "bullying", it sounds more innocent than calling it "abuse". In some cases (as is the case here), the abuse extends to assault, battery, and torture--all listed as criminal offenses in Japan (though minors under 14 can't be punished by law except in extreme cases, like causing the death of the victim--others may be subject to supervised education, though). Even if school bullying can't be punished by law in most cases, the result of the action and the lasting impacts on the victim are the same, so it is still a serious matter.

I, myself, am not a fan of retributive justice. I find justice to be practical, not emotional, and highly support rehabilitative justice whenever possible. I also firmly believe people can change and should not be judged for things they did when they were still a child. However, this particular case is not a matter of legal justice, but public perception. These acts aren't just minor acts of bullying. They are extreme. The overall point here is that with the acts highlighted in the public eye, if there was no harsh scrutiny of such a prominent figure at such a reputable event, other children might think the consequences aren't important, especially as children, and might continue the trend. This person's career isn't done. They're just no longer representing the Olympics (one of the most important events in post-WWII Japan... though this one isn't going quite as well...).

Side note: Hazing in college is already frowned upon, can definitely be illegal, and many people have been arrested and imprisoned for it. Those found to have done something illegal during a past hazing can retroactively be arrested as well. More could still be done, but if you think it's still acceptable today, that's probably your own perception, not the current status quo.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
*Reads title* Wow cancel culture has gone too far! How bad could this have been?
*Keeps reading* What? It was more than 30 years ago? Some people can't let go of th-... he did what...? Oh my GOD!! This is basically the backstory for a slasher movie!

It doesn't need to be extreme for it to be so shitty they need to be held accountable. See Mitt Romney who forcefully cut a kid's hair while he was in high school. Shit like that is vile, regardless how extreme it might be.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I feel like "youth bullying" in the headline isn't a strong enough word to describe how terrible what this guy did was.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote
It's wild, yet unsurprising how some of the regulars who usually complain about "cancel culture" are in here on the victim's side simply because this incident involved shit, as opposed to racism or sexual assault/harassment. Real weird what the line between abuse and "pandering" is to some folks. Rolling Eyes
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:

Has anyone followed up with people he bullied? Do they remember? Do they still care?

This is just me, but if someone made me literally eat shit, I would remember and I would hate that bastard till the day I died.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Something being lost in the discussion is that this guy was also going to compose the music for the Paralympics, so even if you tried to argue what he did was a long time ago which is already a bad argument, having someone who is openly ableist composing music for the Paralympics is insulting to all the athletes involved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4