• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: Arise Composer Cornelius Tenders Resignation From Olympics After Youth Bul

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
As someone who was a victim of bullying throughout most of school I can safely say that it’s never too late to punish someone for those kinds of actions. Also GITS Arise’s soundtrack sucked!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
He also apparently arranged the theme song for Carole & Tuesday. Any comments from Watanabe?
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Something being lost in the discussion is that this guy was also going to compose the music for the Paralympics, so even if you tried to argue what he did was a long time ago which is already a bad argument, having someone who is openly ableist composing music for the Paralympics is insulting to all the athletes involved.

Exactly. I was also surprised that no one brought this up earlier as it is definitely integral to this overall situation.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
When I originally read the headline I thought "He was bullied and the trauma came back? What does the Olympics have to do with it?" but jeez turns out it was the other way around. I swear what he admitted to is so ridiculous it sounds like it came right out of an episode of Hell Girl. And this is only what he admitted to in that interview as well, it could have been worse.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Something being lost in the discussion is that this guy was also going to compose the music for the Paralympics, so even if you tried to argue what he did was a long time ago which is already a bad argument, having someone who is openly ableist composing music for the Paralympics is insulting to all the athletes involved.

Exactly. I was also surprised that no one brought this up earlier as it is definitely integral to this overall situation.

Whoa didn't even think of that. That makes it worse.

MagicPolly wrote:
When I originally read the headline I thought "He was bullied and the trauma came back? What does the Olympics have to do with it?" but jeez turns out it was the other way around. I swear what he admitted to is so ridiculous it sounds like it came right out of an episode of Hell Girl. And this is only what he admitted to in that interview as well, it could have been worse.

Honestly if I read a series with that sort of stuff being done I'd say the author was being unrealistic....
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Cornelius what the fudge, dude. I have mixed feelings about it because it happened a long time ago, but during the interview he was already an adult and issues in adulthood almost always stem from childhood trauma. Cornelius has to do more than just apologize. He's got the money, resources, and status to help prevent more youths as himself.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I dealt with a lot of bullying in high school. Was easily the worst years of my life, but it's all in the past for me at this point. I remember being harassed by somebody, but was too afraid to speak up about it. Literally skipped school for a week because of it. Many years later I see him in my work with his girlfriend/wife and their child. I don't think he even noticed me or paid me any mind. If it was just him and it was outside of my job, I'm sure I would have verbally unloaded on him. I used to get bullied so much I would purposely skip school because of it. I nearly failed my senior year because of it. I used to be very shy and socially awkward. Now I'm not. I also had someone who just happened to be driving down the street while I was getting mail from my mail box slow down and screamed, "F**k you!" at me, then burnt rubber. I remember my first day of my freshman year seeing a girl on the ground in the hallway, getting her head kicked into a locker by another girl. I've seen and been the victim of some messed up stuff. Obviously not nearly as bad as what's been described in this article of course.

Last edited by JeffreySweeney on Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
He also apparently arranged the theme song for Carole & Tuesday. Any comments from Watanabe?

My first thought was "Oh god, I loved that song. Don't do this to me!"
Then I found out it was "Polly Jean" he composed for and I sighed in relief. I didn't care for that one much. Lol
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

God, I hope not. There is no need to drag unrelated people into one person's drama. Especially when it's regarding events they had likely zero chance of knowing about from nearly 30 years ago. Anyone taking a pound of flesh, take it only from the person responsible.
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oyamada then sparked anger on social media after past interviews with the Rockin'On Japan magazine from 1994 and 1995 resurfaced.

I presume this "then" is a typo, and it's actually a pretty important one. It implies that he tendered his resignation before this stuff was found instead of in response to it. I spent half the article confused.

Proofreading is essential. If you're prone to missing little important words, as I am (like "not"), it helps to read what you've written backwards. That way you don't skip over things you just assume you did or didn't put in there.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:
Quote:
Oyamada then sparked anger on social media after past interviews with the Rockin'On Japan magazine from 1994 and 1995 resurfaced.

I presume this "then" is a typo, and it's actually a pretty important one. It implies that he tendered his resignation before this stuff was found instead of in response to it. I spent half the article confused.

Proofreading is essential. If you're prone to missing little important words, as I am (like "not"), it helps to read what you've written backwards. That way you don't skip over things you just assume you did or didn't put in there.

Did you miss the sentence directly before that?
Quote:
The Olympics committee had announced on Thursday that Oyamada was in charge of music at the opening ceremonies.

The “then” is clearly after the announcement.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a double standard when a drug arrest will lead broadcasters and studios and labels to erase someone from existence but this chump can freely admit to this outright heinous behavior--brag about it, have a laugh--and then keep putting albums, work on Scott Pilgrim and book this gig in the first place. Composing not just for the Olympics but the Paralympics. It's incredible it took this long for this to happen.

I mean, ideally, the games wouldn't even be happening but that's another story.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I think it's a double standard when a drug arrest will lead broadcasters and studios and labels to erase someone from existence but this chump can freely admit to this outright heinous behavior--brag about it, have a laugh--and then keep putting albums, work on Scott Pilgrim and book this gig in the first place. Composing not just for the Olympics but the Paralympics. It's incredible it took this long for this to happen.

Of course drugs are going to elicit a stronger response, they're actually illegal unlike bullying which is also bad, but socially just frowned upon. You're comparing apples and oranges here.
Lann

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:29 am Reply with quote
As much as this sucks, its not going to stop me from liking the guy and his music. Dont we all have regrets growing up? As far I can tell he hasn't been a sleazebag as an adult (which is a very long time), so I forgive his past.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:50 am Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:

Ah OK, I understand how you read that. To explain, "then" in that paragraph was meant to explain that the social media outcry happened after what was mentioned in the previous paragraph of the article, which was the announcement last Thursday about him being named in charge of music for the ceremony. It was not a typo, it was merely helping explain the timeline progression of the situation.

However, I can see how this line can be misconstrued, so I reworded it to make it clearer. I appreciate your feedback.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4