• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Summer 2021 Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Poor Dragon Quest, left out again.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

Maybe we'll see a full series review after it ends, if any of the writers are still that curious about it by that point

It's one of the ones I've been considering following, depending on the rest of my life. I have a real soft spot for shows like that one.

Well, I hope you enjoy it if you do end up following it later.

Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo manga run (five manga on and off from 1974 to 2003 or so) is to this day my favorite giant robot work.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised, almost every single new show I'm watching this season aside from Re-Main is being covered. Now whether or not I'll be able to keep up with them to read the reviews, that's a different story lol.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace made it, since the first episode hasn't even aired yet. Magia Record can make up for its lateness by being part of a huge brand, but I didn't thought the other late arrival would also pass. The manga must be more popular than I realized. Or maybe people just want all three series of Cool-kyou Shinja to get weekly reviews.

Mewzard wrote:
The lack of Getter Robo Arc in the list of reviews is super disappointing, Getter Robo was the first combining mech.

This is a common mistake. Getter Robo popularized the concept of combining mecha, but it's not the first example of this trope. There is a manga from 1968 that did it before Getter.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised Getter Robo didn't make the cut because it's a sequel to a long running franchise and none of the previous entries are available streaming anywhere and it's not an especially lavish production or anything and it's also on HiDive instead of Crunchyroll or Funimation. I am surprised Re-main didn't make it but I wonder if it's due to people being soured on MAPPA lately unless they're doing a big name title or something? I'm glad Aquatope and Vanitas made it as those have been my favorite premieres this season so far. Will Dragon Quest eventually get a series review? It's not just ANN but even other anime sites like Fandom Post I haven't seen covering the Dragon Quest anime any which has been sad in spite of it being a really quality show. It just seems like a lot of NA anime fandom and reviews sites have really slept on Dragon Quest.
Malsang

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty happy with this review schedule. All of the shows I'm watching (or going to watch, in the case of Jahy and Magia) made it in. Except Uramichi, but I didn't vote for that one because I felt it would be a bit of a chore to review since the premise revolves around a single cynical joke. As much as I feel that this season is weaker than the average season, and doubly so next to last season's phenomenal offerings, I'm still checking out seven shows. Doubt I'll stick with all of them, but maybe this season isn't so bad after all. Here's to hoping that Battle in 5 Seconds embraces the creativity offered by its premise.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
All ANN reviewers breathing a sigh of relief that none of them drew the short straw and had to cover Goddess Dormitory!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Boo, no Night Head 2041. Not that I expected, but still, even less exposure...

Yeah, as I said in the PG, I was hoping for weeklies, since I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need some hand-holding to help my stupid head understand what's going on. Very Happy

Maybe I'll see you in the Series Discussion section, and you can be my guide? (nudge nudge)
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
All ANN reviewers breathing a sigh of relief that none of them drew the short straw and had to cover Goddess Dormitory!

Let it be known that I voted for that one for 100% ironic reasons.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
A couple of reviewers have really drawn the short-straw in that lot and two are going to be having a good season (based on the episodes already screened).

At least there's no EX-Arm alike this season although there are a few game/anime crossover duffers I've already dropped this season....
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not surprised Getter Robo didn't make the cut because it's a sequel to a long running franchise and none of the previous entries are available streaming anywhere

This is a bit off, as Getter Robo Arc is adapting from Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo manga series (primarily Arc, but implementing bits of stuff from Go & Shin Getter), which tells a completely different story from any of the various anime, which in & of themselves have absolutely no continuity between them, minus literally the first two shows from the 70s. The most watching Armageddon, Shin vs. Neo, or New Getter will give newcomers is just a basic idea of some shared styles & themes of Ishikawa's take on Getter Robo, but nothing else that will really give you a real head start for Arc.

Therefore, you can't really harp on Arc being a "sequel", anime-wise, when it literally isn't. The fact that the anime is including flashbacks to prior Getter Robo manga plot & implementing brand new & original sequences here & there shows that this is meant to be as much for newcomers as it is for existing fans of Getter Robo, especially those of Ishikawa's manga.

But, as it was mentioned, there is at least one ANN writer who may tackle writing about it later on, and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a This Week in Anime appearance, at the very least.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

This is a bit off, as Getter Robo Arc is adapting from Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo manga series (primarily Arc, but implementing bits of stuff from Go & Shin Getter), which tells a completely different story from any of the various anime, which in & of themselves have absolutely no continuity between them, minus literally the first two shows from the 70s. The most watching Armageddon, Shin vs. Neo, or New Getter will give newcomers is just a basic idea of some shared styles & themes of Ishikawa's take on Getter Robo, but nothing else that will really give you a real head start for Arc.

It's still based on existing material that isn't licensed or easy for casual fans to consume. I tried watching the first episode and I didn't have much trouble understanding it but I also felt like I was missing a lot of references that would mean more to established fans. The animation was also not that great and I can't imagine it will improve.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I did not expect I'm Standing On a Million Lives to get picked up at all. I thought after it was left out of the preview guide there was no chance it would make it in.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I am surprised Re-main didn't make it but I wonder if it's due to people being soured on MAPPA lately unless they're doing a big name title or something?

Idaten is also by MAPPA and it hasn't even aired yet. In fact I thought it's got picked up because mappa, though it does have an interesting visual and style in the first place. Mostly male-cast sport anime not based on manga seem to be unpopular among the votes lately. I think Backflip!! has more impressive premiere (followed by some consistenly solid episodes) last season compared to Re-main, but it didn't make the cut as well.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a good line up of reviews. Personally I ended up voting for a lot this time, probably because there's a lot that I'm more interesting to see how it turns out, rather than just watching it myself lol

octopodpie wrote:

Happy to share some stats!

Thanks for the stats, always interesting to see some info on the data
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3