• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Detective Is Already Dead

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:12 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Well, it's not like memory is one continuous film. It doesn't seem farfetched for someone to remember a person dying, and to have the sensation/knowledge that this person's heart is elsewhere, but drawing a blank on all the details.

If someone had carefully and surgically blanked Kimihiko's memory, I might agree. We haven't seen a character with that level of control, however (unless Fuubi really does have a superpower beyond "plot token"), and this was supposedly random anyway.

The internal logic of this show about "detectives" should leave him driven to fill in the blanks. Your proposed solution just pushes the contradictions to after the reveal that Nagisa has Siesta's heart. How did that happen? What happened to Hel, and therefore Alicia? Kimihiko should want to know. Instead, he accepts it at face value and wallows in his memories.

I know I'm looking for logic and consistency where there isn't any. I think it's telling that this story is supposedly about middle and high school age characters, despite how they present. I've often thought that in anime and manga the nominal age of the main characters is more a gauge of the intended audience -- a few years below theirs -- than anything internal to the stories. If so, this story is intended for very young viewers: late grade school or middle school. The absolute dominance of the Rule of Cool over all other narrative considerations here may be reflective of this.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
If someone had carefully and surgically blanked Kimihiko's memory, I might agree. We haven't seen a character with that level of control, however (unless Fuubi really does have a superpower beyond "plot token"), and this was supposedly random anyway.

I mean, you need no superpowers, it's just how memory works to some degree.
Can't say I've been exposed to drugs that cause memory loss - if I have I've forgotten - but getting the feeling that something happened or something is a certain way without having any idea of how, when or where (and then turning out to be true) is something that happens often.
Of course this specific case is more... touchy as something as traumatic as seeing Siesta's heart being ripped out should leave more of an imprint than the fact a transplant took place... but I guess Siesta did reassure him? It's not particularly good writing at all, but partial memory loss of a specific event is in itself and on paper a pretty realistic occurence.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched a show promoted so had only to end up so lackluster since Listeners.

I mean, there were moments I maybe kinda sorta enjoyed but ultimately I'm still not sure what this was all about or what was the point of the series. Or whether this was even a good adaption of the novels (from what I've read, it isn't).
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I was initially drawn to this series by the title, but it really sounds like I dodged a bullet by not watching, huh?

Quote:
I still love some of the glib barbs they get in on each other, even if I certainly could have done without that momentary digression into the pair's past pooping habits.

JFC.
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Alright, now that The Detective Is Already Dead is finally dead, we can all go home and think about what we learned from this.

I'm going to say, "read the source material if it ever comes out in English." Headache inducing as I suspect it must be, I still have to believe that there might be hints of a coherent story there somewhere.

Quote:
A lot of the bits of action around the fight with Chameleon show an appreciative amount of animation and energetic, dynamic direction.

I found it interesting that Chameleon almost turned into the kaiju as he powered up. Just a little bit more purple and we could have had a neat comment on the aliens behind SPES, but noooo....

... and, for someone who supposedly couldn't attack Siesta/Nagisa any more, he was sure able to threaten her with mayhem. I admire the fight choreography for remembering that the environment can be a weapon as well.

Quote:
Honestly, there could have been some fascinating stuff to analyze with regards to Nagisa's actual life experience as a composite of the likes of Hel, Alicia, and their shared experiences with Kimihiko and Siesta.

I'm very disappointed that neither Hel nor Alicia ever made an encore appearance. There doesn't seem to be any reason why Alicia couldn't, anyway, except for time.

Quote:
Even if Nagisa's previous memories have been revealed as a sham (and thus she can't really allude to her backstory even out of story coherency anymore)...

I've been thinking about Nagisa, and Siesta's last spoken line.

We learned in Episode 1 that "Siesta" is a code name (because everyone has a code name, right?). I think it's okay to infer that she had a real name and some kind of existence before gaining her blood powers and becoming a "detective."

On the other hand, Nagisa's existence -- memories, documentary evidence, wardrobe -- was apparently created out of whole cloth. Yet also apparently the person who created her was (a) the only one present and conscious at the time she decided on a name, but (b) destined to "take a siesta" and not actively participate in events for a year.

Now, it's possible that Siesta in fact stayed active long enough to set things up (with Inspector Fuubi, or with her never-even-alluded-to-sponsors*). But -- what if Nagisa's memories of being sickly and in a hospital are genuine? What if they are Siesta's memories, from before she gained her blood powers (and turned her hair vampiric white)? What if "Natsunagi Nagisa" is her real name?

Puts a different spin on the Nagisa/Siesta dynamic -- more like Alicia/Hel, while they lasted.

*I, for one, do not believe that a middle schooler, no matter how talented, has the resources to buy plane tickets on a whim, much less hire thugs to kidnap someone and put them on the plane.
xolulu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:51 am Reply with quote
I can't believe they stuck with "Mom" the whole way through. I was convinced they'd realize at some point that it was wrong. Did they never think to question it? Did it not seem at all strange? Google gives an answer straight away.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:51 am Reply with quote
i honestly couldn't wait for this series to be over. It started out pretty interesting but after episode 4 it started going down hill. the next couple episodes were mediocre at best, so i realized i in for penny in for a pound.

I also didn't see them defeat chameleon unless it was a blink and you'll miss it moment, i remember fighting him but i don't remember seeing him be defeated.

The ending was a mess of random plot point wrap up and setting up for a possible sequel. i give the whole series a 1.75 out of 5.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...they do finally get to answering that most burning question the audience has had: Did Kimihiko and Siesta fudge? The answer turns out to be 'no', but Siesta totally would have, given another opportunity....
Well, this is the stuff I was waiting for. Now I have no reason to slog through this show, thanks for your service Mr. Ferris. RIP Dead-Tective... Smile

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY this train-wreck is over but I do gonna miss Siesta (she is the only good thing about this sh*tshow)
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The wasted potential here is really frustrating. Oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3