• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! X

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:08 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:

I was a little surprised that the episode didn't make a point out of Geordo's fear of snakes. Yes, he's older and in control of himself, but phobias by definition aren't rational. It justifies (in part) why Geordo isn't helping Catarina free Keith, but no mention is made of it.

That's a good point! I completely missed that. I mostly interpreted Geordo's lack of help as evidence that nothing and no one would stand in Catarina's way, even if it meant doing something that most people would think of as insanely dangerous; the danger didn't even register to her.

I also forgot to mention that I didn't love "Spot" as the localization for "Pochi," mostly because the pup is all black. "Fido" or "Rover" might have worked better in terms of stereotypical English dog names. (Or, you know, Diesel or Tank, which are insanely popular for male dogs in my area.)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Hooray for more Atsuko! So it does seem that she appears to cap off each arc by pointing out whose "route" Catarina has "completed" this time. Looking forward to seeing who comes next -- Maria will likely be getting the most time with her, but I'm not sure I could see Maria becoming forward enough to seal the deal (whether by non-consensual kissing or some other unmistakable method).

Going by what the ED and recent promotional materials, I wouldn't count on it.
Maybe Nicol and even Allan will get their turn at non-consensually kissing Katarina but Mary will just be comic relief and Maria will remain as her best friend *wink**wink*
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Bets on who's getting kidnapped next: Alan, Mary or Nicol? Maybe they'll do a group kidnapping to get the discounted rates.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
That felt like 2/3 of the episode was killing time and rehashing old tropes. That's ok, I guess, but kinda boring for a finale.

I still don't quite get how Sophia being Acchan works. Caterina died and got isekaied, but Acchan seems to be alive and well, so how is she there? Is this all a dream in Acchan's head, rather than an actual physical world that somehow exactly parallels Fortune Lover?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:13 am Reply with quote
Well, it was mentioned by others before the season started that the series wasn't as good once it got past the 1st season's content and I can't say I disagree. It wasn't terrible, but it kind of felt like it was just more of the same. I have to wonder if it wouldn't have been better to go out on a high note and end the series once the main hook of the series (avoiding the doomed fate) was succinctly dealt with.

It's odd for there to be a sequel for Fortune Lover considering the best scenario for Catarina was just being exiled and Maria would have ended up with one of the guys by the end.

If the story continues with Catarina worrying about death flags that she would clearly no longer be a trigger for I'm not too hopeful about the movie being an improvement on the 2nd season unfortunately.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I still don't quite get how Sophia being Acchan works. Caterina died and got isekaied, but Acchan seems to be alive and well, so how is she there? Is this all a dream in Acchan's head, rather than an actual physical world that somehow exactly parallels Fortune Lover?

I kind of figured that the fantasy world doesn't run on the same time as the "real" world, so Acchan simply lived a full life in modern Japan and then was reborn at the same time as Catarina. Seeing Acchan still in high school could just be in Catarina's head (since they do seem to be dreams) or glimpses of the past.

Covnam wrote:
It's odd for there to be a sequel for Fortune Lover considering the best scenario for Catarina was just being exiled and Maria would have ended up with one of the guys by the end.

spoiler[That's basically the premise - Catarina got an exile end, Maria graduated without picking a guy, and the plot continues. We saw Evil Catarina briefly in a black hooded cloak, so she comes back for revenge.]
michizure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I kind of figured that the fantasy world doesn't run on the same time as the "real" world, so Acchan simply lived a full life in modern Japan and then was reborn at the same time as Catarina. Seeing Acchan still in high school could just be in Catarina's head (since they do seem to be dreams) or glimpses of the past.

We know that the Atsuko scenes are not flashbacks, because they comment on things (e.g., clearing the Geordo route) that didn't happen in the real world before Beherina* died. Catarina can access Beherina's memories directly. Sophia has expressed Atsuko's personality (perhaps even taken to an extreme), but doesn't have conscious access to her memories in the same way.

I interpret these scenes as Atsuko (who still exists as Sophia) communicating with Catarina as best she can under the circumstances: in dreams that are similar to and based on Beherina's memories, even if they aren't (can't be) exactly that.

*For "Bed Head Catarina" as nickname for "the Japanese person who became Catarina," in the tradition of "Bakarina." The discussion thread here for the first season called her "proto-Catarina."
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote
It is kind of hilarious that Bakarina unknowingly followed setting herself up for the plot of the sequel game she had no idea about and that just so happened to have Catarina Claes back as the villainess, which even Acchan points out is unoriginal.

I'm guessing Bakarina is going to dream about Acchan clearing the sequel game so she has any idea what to do with the new capture targets given she never played the sequel.

I feel like Geordo is nowhere near as predatory as Keith makes him out to be...although Keith is dangerously forward now too...
q_3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
spoiler[That's basically the premise - Catarina got an exile end, Maria graduated without picking a guy, and the plot continues. We saw Evil Catarina briefly in a black hooded cloak, so she comes back for revenge.]

Darn, there's no way the movie can live up to the scenario I just envisioned in which spoiler[Catarina meets her own evil counterpart, and of course seduces her.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4