• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Battle Game in 5 Seconds

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Just have to say that I forgot there was an English dub of this and Ms. Ortiz just makes the character of Mion! At least as good as the Japanese VA. However, I'll have to take back my earlier comments about the writing being good, this Ep shows it is more like unpredictable. While that can be "good" if well constructed, here it is so because the writer keeps some info hidden and so it is structured more like a "non-mystery" mystery where you are deceived into thinking X will happen but Y does and then the hidden info that shows why is revealed. This Ep was more than a little annoying in that respect, but at least they backfilled what was up with "traitor granny" and her "boys".

Edit-Also just putting this theory out before the finale, I propose all of the people are either hooked up in a "matrix-like" set of devices or they are drugged and hypnotized. Unless we assume BS anime-science-magic, none of this can be real...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oogami's late-game additional ability to make his own animation worse.

Ok, that made me laugh. Laughing

Am I to understand that Kuroiwa has Oogami's game device? So...if when Oogami is defeated, they still won't win since they haven't captured the King's (who I presume is Oogami?) device? Also, has anyone bothered capturing the other two (was it two?) towers? That's also a win, right, even if they don't get the King?

Despite all the exposition, I still don't know - is the reason Akira could use the old guy's negotiation power because he made Kuroiwa believe he had multiple abilities, so he could just fill in the blank with any abilities he wanted? As you might guess, I'm not paying super close attention...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Hate to being enough of a nerd to check out Ep8 again, but the 5 towers only allow you to get 10 bonus points each to trade for favors from Mion which are

a. learn the whereabouts of a given person (10 pts)
b. revive a "dead" interface (30 pts)
c. seal the ability of a given person (50 pts)

As in my earlier comment, I doubt even if you watched everything carefully, neither you or anyone else could guess the info they used this Ep and likely that will continue. The interfaces are supposed to go "dead" and lock your abilities if they get more than 3 meters from you, so that interface Kiroiwa has should have been his or if it was Oogami's they have violated the premise already...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame Yuuri didn't get to finish Oogami, but it makes sense they'd want to take her power out, and at least in some form she and Akira worked together to beat him.

That GC talking Oogami. Oof.

I'm glad Shirisagi didn't die.

I found myself oddly invested in Akira and Yuuri's relationship. Yuuri being so happy to see him and awkwardly cuddling next to him like they were on a date at the end was really cute, and it seems like Akira has really come to care about her in-spite of himself.

The next stage of the game taking place in the "real world" with a select few (AKA the main characters) sent back was an interesting twist to close out on. The mark from the cuffs are still there so I wonder if there powers are negated until the five second rule sets in during whatever rule of the next stage is.

And was that guy in Akira's apartment supposed to be his dad? And he was participating the whole time?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I have cracked the code! It Was All A Dream! All that stuff never happened and Akira has been driven delusional by his boredom with reality and desire to play an immersive game to escape it. That is why everything repeats the Ep1 open up to the point that the mummy-hulk jumps out of the van. When he decides not to go to school, we see him go to a local arcade with a mummy-monster shooting game and then meeting Yuuri with Mion in the background to start the "Fourth Program"....The Final Ability is "Break with Reality"...

If there isn't an S2, this ending wraps the whole story up and if we get an S2, they can continue with the delusional scenario already set up. Strategic storyboarding gentlemen... Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2