• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The aquatope on white sand

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 16: Probably the best episode yet. Excellent character insights and I love how spoiler[Kukuru and Chiyu came to understand each other and reconciled].

Episode 17: Nice breather episode like the beach one in the first cour. Great character interactions.

I am incredibly grateful that everyone here is being so mature and non-mean when talking about this anime. There’s another site (not saying which, don’t want anyone to get harassed) where everyone’s hating on it and its characters, which really sucks because this is one of my favorite titles this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18:

Theme is pushing people outside their comfort zones so they grow. In Kukuru's case, one suspects conspiracy between Ojii and Akira Hoshino.
Ceewayne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Please only read if you watched Episode 18

spoiler[The project that Grouchy Boss is giving Kukuru is reopening Gama Gama as a branch aquarium. ]

Might be wrong, but it makes sense. spoiler[Location location location and it is a high tourist area]
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Ceewayne wrote:
Please only read if you watched Episode 18

spoiler[The project that Grouchy Boss is giving Kukuru is reopening Gama Gama as a branch aquarium. ]

Might be wrong, but it makes sense. spoiler[Location location location and it is a high tourist area]

Yeah, I think so, too!

While I enjoyed this episode—the fish dance was a hoot—I did give a little sigh when the girls decided to dress as mermaids. Sigh.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Mercedez Clewis in EP 18 review wrote:

by virtue of getting to see Tingaara staff in fish costumes. Nothing beats that.

Not one I have come across before. Wink

Mercedez Clewis wrote:

An episode like this would usually go under the radar, especially this late in the game...

There's definitely a slight “endgame” vibe to episode 18...

Anyone want to join me in storming P.A. headquarters to demand Season 2?

After all, we have not seen the kijimuna do anything but eat the fish heads Kukuru leaves at the shrine, nor have we seen Fuuka put her diving license to use (especially since this show seems similar to Amanchu! in several ways).

Besides, some of us are tired of getting invested in characters just to have them go away after one or two cours. Crying or Very sad

Mercedez Clewis wrote:

One gripe I will bring up is the localization of Tingaara, which has changed now to “Tingala”.

This name seems odd due to the Japanese generally having difficulty with the English "L" sound. During the invasion and occupation of Okinawa in WW2, the US Marine and Army sentries would generally chose phrases with words containing "L" for this reason.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:40 pm Reply with quote
They changed the name in the subtitles to "Tingarla" , and that's because they showed the sign for the aquarium, and “Tingarla” is written in English (or whatever language it’s supposed to be) underneath the Japanese name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:19 am Reply with quote
I think episode 19 was on par with the episodes of the First Cour (Which I think is one of the best cours i've seen in a while).

I want to know what happened to Kijimuna he had a (somewhat) prominent role in the first Cour and we haven't seen him yet (except in the OP)
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

We finally get to see Fūka Miyazawa put her SCUBA diving training to use.

For the first time, an episode ends on a cliffhanger. Lots of issues to resolve in only 4 more episodes, unless a second season has been approved.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I find it a bit wild how the reviewer didn't mention some of the contributions the male characters had in this episode.

Kukuru's grandfather's appearance affecting her mind state
How it's implied that it was her grandfather's idea that she got the marketing job
The increased pressure (and possible sympathy later) from the assistant director
the meddling of the Aquarium Chief.
Ceewayne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was interesting, disappointed on how wrong I was about my plot idea, but Kukuru is being groomed for management.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
How it's implied that it was her grandfather's idea that she got the marketing job
The increased pressure (and possible sympathy later) from the assistant director
the meddling of the Aquarium Chief.

It is a very fine balance between pushing Kukuru outside her comfort zone, and as a couple of her current Tingaara/former Gama Game male co-workers say, getting her to grow up or crushing her. Seems that the line may have been crossed based on her not showing up to work (something that people who have not been there will be clueless about).

This being a non-dark anime, I would expect to see Kukuru pull through with the help of her real friends and most considerate family members and co-workers, rather than jumping off the roof (as we have seen in some shows).
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
This is one of the few times in Anime I've been like "how can they keep pushing Kukuru down" The amount of bad s^&* that keeps happening to Kukuru in this episode is crazy, they keep beating her up, this is not supposed to be real life, this is supposed to be a slice of life, not the whole thing.

it looked like even her boss is starting to notice. It's obvious Kukuru is not into it, I think if she had been then the wedding planer wedding would have gone differently. Like putting a special Polarizing film on the glass or turning it into a one way mirror to prevent the Fishes from getting disturbed by the light. Same with the other problems they had.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21
spoiler[How on Earth does the assistant director not know right away Kukuru must be in some kind of trouble if she's always shown up on time before she skipped? Does he not know how humans work?!]
druv

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:05 am Reply with quote
One thing I am pretty sure I will find pretty annoying is that the show will most likely do the "oh, but he actually has a heart of gold and just did it because he cared," because it's that kind of show. In truth, whatever material his heart is made of, there's some really bad leadership going on, as well as an adherence to the toxic work culture that Japan is famous for.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:43 am Reply with quote
So funny enough about the aquarium and wedding planning - I actually had my wedding at an aquarium, albeit a small one inside a zoo. We specifically got married inside the penguin exhibit, though there were also a few tanks of fish and jellyfish in the building.

It was interesting, because we met with the zoo coordinators and they had a huge list of procedures for keeping the animals safe - wash your shoes before and after entering the exhibit, no flash photography except for the photographers during the ceremony, no touching the animals (but don't be disappointed because they'll probably touch you!) The scariest part was when they warned us that the lights to the exhibit could just suddenly turn off, and they'd have no way of turning them back on, because they had to keep the penguins on a strict light cycle to keep their circadian rhythms. Like uh... can we get a definitive answer as to when the lights are supposed to go off on our date, so that doesn't happen?? Laughing I definitely came away feeling like, is it really okay to have a wedding here, won't it upset the animals too much?

But despite all this, the actual day of the ceremony when we met with the penguin caretakers, they were not worried about the precautions at all. So my experience was actually kind of the opposite of what happened in the show!

Picky33 wrote:
This is one of the few times in Anime I've been like "how can they keep pushing Kukuru down" The amount of bad s^&* that keeps happening to Kukuru in this episode is crazy, they keep beating her up, this is not supposed to be real life, this is supposed to be a slice of life, not the whole thing.

Yeah, I actually agree. I'm not adverse to having a little bit of conflict in my slice of life, but watching Kukuru just get beat down at her job every episode is... too realistic. I'm glad that we're finally starting to see that she is essentially paying her dues before going on to do great things, but some of these episodes have been a hard watch, especially when the first half was mostly a relaxing, aquarium themed iyashikei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11