• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The aquatope on white sand

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:48 am Reply with quote
After EP 24, the final!

Well, they stuck the landing, 10 for 10

There is a very interesting double pun which takes place in the very last seconds of EP 24, after the credits.

Kukuru くくる is a verb which means to tie or bind together, hence to tie-dye silk, Batik style. The girls get into a discussion of Fūka’s name 風花 which are nouns literally meaning 風 wind and 花 flower and then by poetic extension a snow flurry and then even further in Aquatope, like white bleached coral on the beach as if it were snow! The artists even draw a picture of Coral on a beach! So Kukuru speaking of Fūka, says wind, flower, coral, perfect fit for Okinawa, but Fūka counters her statement by adding こころ kokoro which means heart, mind, soul. This is a pun on Kukuru’s name! こころ kokoro is Okinawa dialect for Kukuru くくる, and then both girls see the double pun in that Fūka has kukuru’ed both their names together in wind, flower, coral, soul! Taken together Kukuru and Fūka are a fine tie-dyed silk fabric (perhaps Blue)!

There are at least 4 other puns involved in this discussion, but they are obscure and abstract based in Japanese poetry, current anime, and Aquatope itself as it relates to other works of art.

We are still trying to figure out the Kijimuna’s Blue paper airplane??? Seems to have something to do with Kukuru and Fūka because it was flying around them, and then into the sky “The End” or is it? And he never returned Fūka’s straw hat! We still want to see Kukuru as Director of Tingarla which was referenced in this EP 24.

For those hoping for Romance in this story, and are now disappointed, Aquatope was never on that path. If one considers Kukuru's prayer, “Do what’s right, and everything will work out.” then the story path opens up because that is what "The Aquatope on White Sand" is all about. The artists behind Aquatope throughout their story showed what that prayer means and meant in terms of the characters, and the situations in which they found themselves.

Kukuru is still frustrated as she explains to Ojii, her Grandfather, that Gama-Gama was so much fun, but Tingarla not so much and she asks what should she do. Ojii answers as follows, and his advice simply applies to all of us,

"There's a lot that you don't realize until later. Keep working even when times are tough and there will be times
when you're rewarded." and with a wry smile, "Just once in a while."
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:15 am Reply with quote
Folcwine P. Pywackett wrote:
こころ kokoro is Okinawa dialect for Kukuru くくる
it’s the other way round. The Okinawan language has no short “o” sound (outside of recent loanwords), so kokoro is an impossible wordform in traditional Okinawan (not to mention the fact that neither “ru” nor “ro” is a valid Okinawan verb ending). The Japanese “o” corresponds to the Okinawan “u” (compare Japanese Okinawa to Okinawan Uchinaa), so kukuru is the word for “heart/mind/soul”. Fuuka isn’t even making a pun there, just translating. The only ones potentially making a pun on the Japanese verb kukuru are the creators who gave Kukuru that name, and even that’s highly arguable.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I think they stocked smaller tanks by hand. The giant bucket was intended to support the large tank.

Oh? I thought everything was going in to one big tank that made up the dome. Makes sense though.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

I think they stocked smaller tanks by hand. The giant bucket was intended to support the large tank.

Oh? I thought everything was going in to one big tank that made up the dome. Makes sense though.

If they were stocking one big tank, then I think the larger fish were stored in separate tanks within the truck and, thus, the giant bucket couldn't pick them up.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
. The Japanese “o” corresponds to the Okinawan “u” (compare Japanese Okinawa to Okinawan Uchinaa),

Keen-eared viewers will even notice that in the same scene, Kukuru says Uchina(w)a for Okinawa Very Happy I really appreciate the attention to those little linguistic details
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I loved this series. I still think the First Cour was one of the best Cours i've seen in a long time.

I wish this had been based on some source and not an original story so i could read it later. or re-read the anime to get the parts, the anime left out. PA Works did a fantastic job with this series, the attention to detail and all the info needed for a story about working at an Aquarium was top notch, it goes way beyond the amount of research that would be needed for a simple slice of life series.

My only worry with PA Works products is, its going to cost an arm and a leg, whenever it comes out on Home-Video.

The speed of the last episodes was super fast paced compared to the rest of the series, but it's understandable, having to fit the wedding and the departure/arrival of Fuka. Because of the fast-paced nature of the last episode they left a bunch of plot holes in the series, Most notability "what happened to the dolphin in the cove?"

This series brought a lot of attention to Okinawa, enough that it was ranked high in the Anime Tourism Survey for this year which is crazy considering that survey came out in October/November.

On another Note, I actually got my parents memberships to the local Aquarium for Christmas.

I give the overall series a 9.5 out of 10, it won't enter my top 5 but def my top 20.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11