• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The aquatope on white sand

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
The visuals were on point this week. The scene with Kukuru and her parents (and the old man with his brother) were very touching and well done. Personally I'd prefer the magical realism stick to the level it's at as I'd prefer the show to remain more grounded.

Those were some very well done shaved ice designs.
Netero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
I have to wonder if the reviewer actually watched all of this episode, because they were lamenting the magical realism aspect fading into the background despite it being IMHO the very strongest part of the episode, riffing on the theme of lost siblings.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
I have to wonder if the reviewer actually watched all of this episode, because they were lamenting the magical realism aspect fading into the background despite it being IMHO the very strongest part of the episode, riffing on the theme of lost siblings.

This was also my impression from EP 6, that Magical Realism was especially strong and plot centered and that the EP brought out some very powerful emotions as seen in the magical visions of the mysterious old man! The shaved ice was cute, but that sort of thing will not save Gama-Gama. At the opening of the Episode, we see the calendar posted on the wall behind Kukuru, June, July, August, and September of 2021. All the days in June and July are Red X, but no days are marked in August except for August 31 which is a Red circle for the closing date. Then Ep 6 must open on August 1, 2021! Kukuru and Fūka have 30 days to save Gama-Gama. Something strange will have to happen to alter what looks like a fixed fate. And the Kijimuna stole Fūka's straw hat which he now wears. He is obligated to give something back.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Folcwine P. Pywackett wrote:
At the opening of the Episode, we see the calendar posted on the wall behind Kukuru, June, July, August, and September of 2021. All the days in June and July are Red X, but no days are marked in August except for August 31 which is a Red circle for the closing date. Then Ep 6 must open on August 1, 2021! Kukuru and Fūka have 30 days to save Gama-Gama. Something strange will have to happen to alter what looks like a fixed fate. And the Kijimuna stole Fūka's straw hat which he now wears. He is obligated to give something back.

Ohhh, good catch! If you had asked me what the date was I probably would have said somewhere in the early part of August. Guess I wasn't too far off, but at least that means we have more time than I thought!
Going back to ep 4 the calendar shows it's the start of the last week in July (7/25 or 7/26) and episode 2 puts it a few days prior to that (7/21). So it's been a little less than 2 weeks since the start of the show. With 18 eps and just under 30 days left (you know they're going to cut it down to the wire) I guess we won't be skipping many days going forward.
pixelatedlenses
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Netero wrote:

I did watch all of it, but the magical realism I'm referring to is more the little god we keep seeing, which hasn't gotten any dedicated explanation. There's definitely magical realism in E6, but... there's still not a lot of explanation from my point of view, which is what I'm really holding out for.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I really like the show but I think I've gotta stop reading these reviews. An entire half of this one is about how Kukuru and Fuuka HAVE to end up together because the reviewer needs it to happen.

Not one mention of Kuuya and Karin which the episode spent ample time giving backstory to. Not one mention last episode of Kukuru seeing her dead (presumed) twin and the lingering thoughts she has about her. In the context of Kukuru finding her mother's old Maternity handbook and the vision last episode, speaking in terms of Fuuka being sisterly makes A LOT of sense to me.

I don't really care much for romance in my fiction so maybe I'm swinging too far in the opposite direction, but I feel like the reviewer might be so laser focused on the main characters hooking up that they're missing a lot of the rest of the show.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
I'll be honest, I really like the show but I think I've gotta stop reading these reviews. An entire half of this one is about how Kukuru and Fuuka HAVE to end up together because the reviewer needs it to happen.

Not one mention of Kuuya and Karin which the episode spent ample time giving backstory to. Not one mention last episode of Kukuru seeing her dead (presumed) twin and the lingering thoughts she has about her. In the context of Kukuru finding her mother's old Maternity handbook and the vision last episode, speaking in terms of Fuuka being sisterly makes A LOT of sense to me.

I don't really care much for romance in my fiction so maybe I'm swinging too far in the opposite direction, but I feel like the reviewer might be so laser focused on the main characters hooking up that they're missing a lot of the rest of the show.

Honestly I agree, Kuuya and Kai haven't been mentioned once in any of the reviews (as far as I remember) even though Kuuya got backstory in the last ep like you mentioned. And honestly Kuuya and Kai are pretty gay themselves (or at least teasing) but the focus of the reviews seem to always just be on listing the Fuukuru moments. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing and I do hope they get together, but I feel like there's really more to the show than just them.

And I'm not trying to bash the reviewer either, if that's what she wants to focus on that's fine, I'm just personally not getting much out of the reviews so I'll probably stop reading them as well.
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
pixelatedlenses wrote:
I did watch all of it, but the magical realism I'm referring to is more the little god we keep seeing, which hasn't gotten any dedicated explanation.

It's a kijimuna, what more explanation do you need? Just keep the Pepto-Bismol handy when you're around one and you'll be fine Embarassed
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally I was more bothered by the subplot with the kids. I could just be sensitive due to real life experiences but I'm sick of "boy has a crush on girl who doesn't seem particularly interested, but only the boy's feelings matter in this scenario apparently, and his persistent attempts to woo her are supposed to be cute and romantic and not super obnoxious" storylines.

As far as Fuuka and Kukuru yeah, it's really difficult to imagine a hetero explanation for the scene with "touching each other is a good way to get to know each other" while gently caressing each other's faces, and it would be nice if it was canon, but beyond that one scene I never really expected it to go in that direction.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion the weakest episode so far. Boring storyline with the kids. Some backstory on that guy who I dont remember what his name is, and maybe something else happened but dont really remember. Also the worst part is they are now pushing Fuuka into the sister role (although that scene could of just been more foreshadowing of her deceased older sister.). And then the worst worst part is the lack of swimsuits on a beach episode. Also does Kai actually add anything to the show? If he simply didn't exist nothing in the show would change except we would of been spared the awfulness that is his little sister.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Going back to ep 4 the calendar shows it's the start of the last week in July (7/25 or 7/26) and episode 2 puts it a few days prior to that (7/21). So it's been a little less than 2 weeks since the start of the show. With 18 eps and just under 30 days left (you know they're going to cut it down to the wire) I guess we won't be skipping many days going forward.

That is certainly correct. EP 7 opens on August 9th which means that at this rate, a few more episodes will take us to the August 31st closing date. Everyone is concentrating on the Beach Party and the Kuuya back story which is excellent, but no one has mentioned the deep dive at the very end. Kukuru sneaks back to the aquarium, and over hears a conversation between the grandfather and our central character of Kuuya this EP(who is really a fun drunk). spoiler[The grandfather's real intentions for sending the young people off to a Beach Party was so that everyone would become used to Gama-Gama not being there! Of course this devastates Kukuru! The grandfather fully intends to close the aquarium on August 31.] Some sort of miracle is now necessary in the final 22 days that are left. Might the story tellers actually close Gama-Gama?
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I started this episode not knowing what an ice cream toast was, and after watching it I still don't know!
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:10 am Reply with quote
Folcwine P. Pywackett wrote:

That is certainly correct. EP 7 opens on August 9th which means that at this rate, a few more episodes will take us to the August 31st closing date. Everyone is concentrating on the Beach Party and the Kuuya back story which is excellent, but no one has mentioned the deep dive at the very end. Kukuru sneaks back to the aquarium, and over hears a conversation between the grandfather and our central character of Kuuya this EP(who is really a fun drunk). spoiler[The grandfather's real intentions for sending the young people off to a Beach Party was so that everyone would become used to Gama-Gama not being there! Of course this devastates Kukuru! The grandfather fully intends to close the aquarium on August 31.] Some sort of miracle is now necessary in the final 22 days that are left. Might the story tellers actually close Gama-Gama?

Oh, I forgot to pay attention to the date this week, thanks Smile
I guess they're speeding up instead of slowing down! So either a number of eps are going to take place during 1 day or Mercedez will be right and the summer will end mid-way through the season!
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote
Huge amount of plot has been laid out and basically eviscerated! EP 6 opened on story time August 1, EP 7 on Aug 9, and now Ep 8 on Aug 17! The grandfather revealed to Kuuya at the end of EP 7 that he will definitely close Gama-Gama and the target date for that is Aug 31. Also EP 8 has some serious bad news, the city is building their own Aquarium Tingaara, and the staff of Gama-Gama will be training them! At this rate, EP 10 “Abandoned Illusion” will be the closing of Gama-Gama and that is an ominous title, like abandon your illusions of saving Gama-Gama. When the Closing of Gama-Gama story trope was introduced, I thought sure, need some drama for both Fuuka and Kukuru to work together and bond a solid friendship. They will save the Aquarium, Right? Now I am not so sure. Could the story tellers actually close Gama-Gama? Also Fuuka must return to Tokyo after Aug 31 and we lose the Eye of the story in Okinawa under the presumption that we return to Tokyo with her. Faced with a 24 episode series, what would "Aquatope on White Sand" be about if all that happens? With 14 days to go, there is no realistic way that Fuuka and Kukuru can save Gama-Gama. Of course Aquatope has been dealing in heavy Magic Realism, so some sort of miracle is always possible, and besides the Kijimuna who stole Fuuka’s hat, and eats all Kukuru’s fish heads has some serious obligations under the spirit world’s principle of equivalent exchange. Aquatope is masterful story telling! Hang on, fasten your seat belts, could be a rocky ride or a deep dive!
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:10 pm Reply with quote
This week's episode missed the mark for me.
It felt a bit similar to the touch pool episode (kids love it!) and didn't really add much.
I suppose we got a bit more info on why Karin gets involved with the aquarium, but is it her place to coordinate things between a hospital and an aquarium (at least on the clock)? Is that something a tourism board would do when it doesn't involve tourists?
The reaction from the nurse was so over the top it was amusing though (can crabs climb up a person like a spider though?).
The B plot with the little girl didn't really land for me either. She loves the aquarium, then gets sick or in an accident to end up in the hospital, is upset and now doesn't want to be involved with the aquarium, removes a crab from the nurse and now is happy again...
It might have worked if we knew this girl from before and/or had some build up with Umi-yan, but it just seemed like a poor attempt at pathos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11