• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The aquatope on white sand

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Episode 13:

I really felt for Kukuru here, and right now I don't like her boss very much (though considering what kind of series this is, we may well see some insight into his character).

Often people such as the Assistant Director are in over their heads, so they bark out orders and take the credit if things go well and blame the subordinates if they do not.

Am I the only one who would like to see this show cross over with Squid Girl? Rolling Eyes
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
I am so loving this anime. The story, visuals are all awesome. I am still hoping that Kukuru and Fuka would be more then just friends. I am moping that it doesn't end like "A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow" manga. I had a feeling from the beginning but now it seems like it will go in the direction of just good friends. There is nothing wrong with that but it seems like any kind of gayness is extremely rare in anime.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I am so loving this anime. The story, visuals are all awesome. I am still hoping that Kukuru and Fuka would be more then just friends....

Impossible to confirm without asking the source material author, but one good reason to avoid Fūka and Kukuru from being more than friends is to avoid turning the show into a rom-com (note that we have not seen romantic relationships of any type in the show other than the implied ones between older married persons and widows/widowers). Rom-com elements of any type would distract from the main theme of the show (just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are similar to).
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I am so loving this anime. The story, visuals are all awesome. I am still hoping that Kukuru and Fuka would be more then just friends....

Impossible to confirm without asking the source material author, but one good reason to avoid Fūka and Kukuru from being more than friends is to avoid turning the show into a rom-com (note that we have not seen romantic relationships of any type in the show other than the implied ones between older married persons and widows/widowers). Rom-com elements of any type would distract from the main theme of the show (just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are similar to).

Why would having Fuka and Kukuru enter into a romantic relationship with each other turn this into a rom-com?

On another note, Aquatope is an original series not adapted from an existing work, so there's no source material author.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I think rom-com is being used there to really just mean 'romance'? i.e., that any romantic elements may distract from the main themes of the show.

Not sure whether I agree with that or not. Aquatope has gone out of its way to make a few of the male casts' romantic interest in some of its female cast clear, and I also think the cheek-touching scene between the two female leads lurched well beyond friendship and into something closer to romantic intimacy. The show hasn't really developed any of these romantic ideas, though; they all feel like at most slightly charred kindling. I think it's hard to tell how well the show would integrate romance into the rest of its writing, since it has avoided doing so pretty fastidiously, so we have no real examples to go by.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

On another note, Aquatope is an original series not adapted from an existing work, so there's no source material author.

The person(s) writing the script are the source material authors, although for this forum I should have included some disambiguation due to the way the term is often more narrowly defined.

NeverConvex wrote:

I think rom-com is being used there to really just mean 'romance'?

Since the show already has some comedic elements (e.g., Fūka getting pecked on the bum by a penguin, then falling into the water), adding a romantic subplot would be taking it dangerously close to rom-com territory.
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
It's okay for me to see Kai get interested with Kukuru but as a close friend. I still prefer to see how Kukuru ad Fuuka develops their relationship.

I'm more curious about Kuuya than Kai. I want to see more on how Kuuya deal with his misogynist personality. I hope this series will not left him behind much further just because of too much Kukuru, Fuuka and Kai in this story.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly hate Chiyu's character even after this episode. No matter how they move her character forward after this ep it's been tainted with how she has acted up to this point. Her sob story to me just hit me and washed past I couldn't care less. The way she acted was beyond reproach in every instance she was shown and it was amplified this ep. She never tried to understand anyone up til this point and just lashed out at them and mocked them despite not even thinking they might have a situation in the same ball park as her. They needed to sprinkle hints throughout the ep's she's been in giving small hints. All we've seen really is a rude person with no context to this point. I have no faith they'll make the Assistant director remotely likeable either as he follows the same line as Chiyu, dick for the sake of being a dick with no hints to why. I see no reason why these 2 characters are even in other than to just generate drama.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
I thoroughly hate Chiyu's character even after this episode. No matter how they move her character forward after this ep it's been tainted with how she has acted up to this point. Her sob story to me just hit me and washed past I couldn't care less. The way she acted was beyond reproach in every instance she was shown and it was amplified this ep. She never tried to understand anyone up til this point and just lashed out at them and mocked them despite not even thinking they might have a situation in the same ball park as her. They needed to sprinkle hints throughout the ep's she's been in giving small hints. All we've seen really is a rude person with no context to this point. I have no faith they'll make the Assistant director remotely likeable either as he follows the same line as Chiyu, dick for the sake of being a dick with no hints to why. I see no reason why these 2 characters are even in other than to just generate drama.

I completely agree. Chiyu is still a trash character and randomly making her a single mom doesn't change that fact.

I think the worst part of the episode for me is that they made it seem like that Kukuru was mostly in wrong despite not really doing anything. That and even after all this Chiyu still talks down about Gama Gama and claims Kukuru takes her job for granted despite not knowing any of the struggles Kukuru had to go through to try and keep Gama Gama alive before ultimately failing.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I think the worst part of the episode for me is that they made it seem like that Kukuru was mostly in wrong despite not really doing anything....

Kukuru had only good intentions, but she had no business jumping in the work of a different department without clearing it with both her supervisor (Tetsuji Suwa) and the director that supervises the attendants (Bondo Garando) - and in turn Bondo should have informed Chiyu that a person outside her penguin department would temporarily be helping out. Without following those types of procedures, the workplace will fall into chaos.

When the confrontation between Kukuru and Chiyu occurred, I was unsuccessfully hoping that Fūka would step in and tell Kukuru that she was in the wrong.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I thought Chiyu's backstory was touching and effective, as was Kukuru's comically brief effort to experience what raising a child is like (although I can't help but feel like 2 hours was a bit too brief. Even a typical babysitting gig is 5-6...). Guess I'm in the minority, there?

My reaction wasn't so much: oh, wow, they want me to sympathize with her, so gave her a token sad backstory. It was, instead: this backstory explains her behavior really well: she has specifically lost both (part of) her family and several prior jobs as a result of being a mom, and so she understandably is much more desperate and much more deeply stressed out about holding on to her dream than Kukuru is. This doesn't manifest itself in healthy ways, but stress rarely does; she lashes out at Kukuru et al, seeing them as not taking their work seriously, while she obsesses over professionalism because she not only shares Kukuru's passion for the job, but also because she and her son depend on her keeping a job, and she already knows she may lose it if Tingaara (or Tingarla? They seem to be playing with the transliteration..) turns out to be as inflexible and non-understanding as some of her prior jobs.

I guess in short I thought this dealt with a tough and understandable disagreement between two people coming from completely different lives in a fast but reasonable and emotionally effective way. I was honestly a little shocked that resolving this in a single episode felt as natural as it did.

That said, I do have at least one significant criticism (well, 2; I'm counting the 2 hours thing. C'mon!): I thought Chiyu's husband literally leaving her was (A) unnecessarily melodramatic and (B) bizarrely underexplained, given how major an emotional note it was to drop. Like, I can sort of fill in the blanks I guess, but I'd rather not have to jump from "she lost her job because her job didn't/couldn't accommodate her schedule needs as a mom in a culture where moms are still heavily the primary kid caretakers" to "oh and btw her husband left her because that was stressful or something". That's a pretty big leap for an important character and story point.

Also, just to be clear: I don't think any of this justifies Chiyu's behavior. There's a huge difference between "oh this is an understandable response to common but extreme stress and I am not surprised she reacted in this way" and "it's OK for her to act this way and I now absolve her of all sins". She was obviously still quite condescending and rude to many of the folks she interacted with from Gama Gama. But I don't really need to like her as a person to like her as a character; I just wanted to understand her, and find her portrayal reasonable, and now I feel that need has been pretty well satisfied.

Piglet the Grate wrote:
Kukuru had only good intentions, but she had no business jumping in the work of a different department without clearing it with both her supervisor (Tetsuji Suwa) and the director that supervises the attendants (Bondo Garando) - and in turn Bondo should have informed Chiyu that a person outside her penguin department would temporarily be helping out.

... but the episode made it clear she did both of these things? She even had to expressly promise her boss that she'd get her work done first before volunteering to help with the attendants' workload. The only person not in-the-know was Chiyu. Which is not to say I think Kukuru was a saint about this -- she was obviously feeling a bit petty and competitive (before learning about Chiyu's reasons and circumstances), or she might have explicitly talked to Chiyu herself (not counting her accusatory yelling at Chiyu, which was obviously never going to help), and not assumed Bondo would do so. But I don't think Kukuru engaged in any particularly crazy violation of workplace hierarchy, here.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:43 pm Reply with quote
If anything, this episode only worsened my impression of Chiyu. Before she was just an nondescriptly older character (maybe fresh out of college, not all that far removed in age and life experience from Kukuru) who was mean to one of our protagonists. Not someone particularly likeable, but I wasn't expected to like her. Now she's suddenly revealed to be a single mother, as if that's meant to elicit sympathy. Instead, it depicts her as someone who at this point should be mature enough to not be needlessly petty and passive aggressive in punching down towards kids.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

if Tingaara (or Tingarla? They seem to be playing with the transliteration..).

It was always supposed to be Tingarla. After the name in the subtitles changed, I went back to episode 13 and was able to notice that the building does say Tingarla on the side. You just have to look really closely to be able to see it.
druv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:20 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I thought Chiyu's backstory was touching and effective, as was Kukuru's comically brief effort to experience what raising a child is like (although I can't help but feel like 2 hours was a bit too brief. Even a typical babysitting gig is 5-6...). Guess I'm in the minority, there?

Chiyu has obviously always been presented unsympathetically, but I've always liked her because she's mostly been correct in her assessment (except for feeling that Gama Gama was too small and dingy to teach her anything). She's a lot like the Frank Grimes character in The SImpsons who comes to Springfield and is baffled by the unrealistic nature of the family. She had to study hard to get where she was, and she didn't want her internship to be playing around in a place that would put a high schooler as the director! She didn't get a job because she showed up in a town and some sympathetic people liked her puppy dog eyes! She was doing everything right and these weirdoes could apparently just stumble into the thing she worked her whole young adult life for!

I don't think she's done anything unreasonable, at least not more unreasonable than dismissing a character who's making sensible choices in her life because she's often animated with a frown on her face.

And yes, calling it "trying out parenting" rather than "baby-sat for a couple of hours" is a bit ridiculous. Though given that Kukuru is constantly overworked because she can't stay in her lane does make it slightly more like the real thing Wink

Quote:
That said, I do have at least one significant criticism (well, 2; I'm counting the 2 hours thing. C'mon!): I thought Chiyu's husband literally leaving her was (A) unnecessarily melodramatic and (B) bizarrely underexplained, given how major an emotional note it was to drop. Like, I can sort of fill in the blanks I guess, but I'd rather not have to jump from "she lost her job because her job didn't/couldn't accommodate her schedule needs as a mom in a culture where moms are still heavily the primary kid caretakers" to "oh and btw her husband left her because that was stressful or something". That's a pretty big leap for an important character and story point.

Definitely underexplained! Several explanations could fit, and I suppose it might be one of those cases where they didn't want to set it in stone now when that could be a story arc for later.

Quote:
Also, just to be clear: I don't think any of this justifies Chiyu's behavior. There's a huge difference between "oh this is an understandable response to common but extreme stress and I am not surprised she reacted in this way" and "it's OK for her to act this way and I now absolve her of all sins". She was obviously still quite condescending and rude to many of the folks she interacted with from Gama Gama. But I don't really need to like her as a person to like her as a character; I just wanted to understand her, and find her portrayal reasonable, and now I feel that need has been pretty well satisfied.

Agreed, I can understand her feelings, but there will always be people around who you could assess as being not deserving of their position. At some point you have to move past that feeling and just deal with it. Just like I would have told Kukuru when she was unhappy about the department she got put in (after being recruited due to nepotism): "that sucks for you, but that's the effin' job".

Quote:
... but the episode made it clear she did both of these things? She even had to expressly promise her boss that she'd get her work done first before volunteering to help with the attendants' workload. The only person not in-the-know was Chiyu. Which is not to say I think Kukuru was a saint about this -- she was obviously feeling a bit petty and competitive (before learning about Chiyu's reasons and circumstances), or she might have explicitly talked to Chiyu herself (not counting her accusatory yelling at Chiyu, which was obviously never going to help), and not assumed Bondo would do so. But I don't think Kukuru engaged in any particularly crazy violation of workplace hierarchy, here.

I can see both sides here, which is what makes the show such a surprise. These are things that can happen in your work life, and definitely in a place that's new. As you point out, Kukuru followed procedure, but I can definitely understand why Chiyu felt sucker-punched because of it.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:12 am Reply with quote
druv wrote:
Just like I would have told Kukuru when she was unhappy about the department she got put in (after being recruited due to nepotism): "that sucks for you, but that's the effin' job".

What Kukuru needs to be told is what a real world museum curator posted in a video a couple of weeks ago - marketing is everything. Without marketing you do not get the visitors, and without the visitors you do not get the funding to stay open. Transfer to being attendee if that is what you want to be doing for the next 45 years instead of eventually becoming a director.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11