• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The aquatope on white sand

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm not expecting any actual yuri. This doesn't seem like it's a yuri centric show and I imagine Japan is still a few years away from displaying any kind of casual yuri.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Yuribone wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't quite remember any show with subtext between girls turning yuri in the past few years.

Actually, there was Gekidol just earlier this year.
YuriMother

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Another great review as always, Mercedez. I'm always happy when a new episode launches because it means not only do I get to watch it but I then get to read your review.

It's always great to hear another person reading this as Yuri because I mean, come on look at it! Too much Yuri and coincidence to not be.

-YuriMother
pixelatedlenses
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
YuriMother wrote:
Another great review as always, Mercedez. I'm always happy when a new episode launches because it means not only do I get to watch it but I then get to read your review.

It's always great to hear another person reading this as Yuri because I mean, come on look at it! Too much Yuri and coincidence to not be.

-YuriMother

YM, you're literally gonna make my entire day: thanks so much for reading my review. I'm definitely leaning 1000% into the fact that Fuuka and Kukuru have too much going on in their characterization for this not to be Yuri. Plus, the spoiler[simple fact that Fuuka has that intensely subtext ladden moment where Kukuru presses her palm to Fuuka's cheek] goes beyond friendship, which like: we love to see it!
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably have disagreed on the yuri front for the first 3 episodes, but if episode 4 is anything to go on, there's no way I'd make that argument anymore Laughing

That hand holding scene was like an explosion of lily shaped fireworks. I wouldn't have been surprised to see them hold hands later that night before falling asleep at this point.

Pacing wise it'd be nice if we saw a calendar more often. I'd like to be more aware of the timeline we're on since we know there's a deadline.
Yuribone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:00 am Reply with quote
I found the "I wanted to get closer to you" confession landed kinda awkwardly. Thinking back on it I suppose we were on track for a breakthrough in the relationship between the girls, but somehow felt we weren't really quite there yet. Nonetheless that moment blew the doors wide open. There is much of the show left to develop the characters and plot points, but it's clear that the evolution of Kukuru and Fuuka's relationship will be pivotal at the very least.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:43 am Reply with quote
Yuribone wrote:
I found the "I wanted to get closer to you" confession landed kinda awkwardly. Thinking back on it I suppose we were on track for a breakthrough in the relationship between the girls, but somehow felt we weren't really quite there yet.

I think you nailed my reaction to the episode here. As much as I don't want to say "things are moving too fast" when the series as a whole is very slow, I feel like Fuuka and Kukuru's relationship was nowhere near there yet. I guess it felt a little... unearned? Like before this we have had them grow a bit closer in episode 2 and 3, but I never got the impression from Fuuka that "she wanted to get closer to Kukuru." She still feels very much to me like she doesn't so much want to get closer to Kukuru, as help her achieve her dream so as to live vicariously through her. Not that those things are mutually exclusive, just that I didn't really feel any buildup between those two in particular.
Yuribone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:01 am Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Yuribone wrote:
I found the "I wanted to get closer to you" confession landed kinda awkwardly. Thinking back on it I suppose we were on track for a breakthrough in the relationship between the girls, but somehow felt we weren't really quite there yet.

I think you nailed my reaction to the episode here. As much as I don't want to say "things are moving too fast" when the series as a whole is very slow, I feel like Fuuka and Kukuru's relationship was nowhere near there yet. I guess it felt a little... unearned? Like before this we have had them grow a bit closer in episode 2 and 3, but I never got the impression from Fuuka that "she wanted to get closer to Kukuru." She still feels very much to me like she doesn't so much want to get closer to Kukuru, as help her achieve her dream so as to live vicariously through her. Not that those things are mutually exclusive, just that I didn't really feel any buildup between those two in particular.

Yeah that's a pretty good way of putting it. I hope that if their relationship really does turn romantic that it will be a bit more organic, but I guess I'll take what I can get for now. Such a great show so far either way.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:11 am Reply with quote
Honestly I'm not expecting any yuri from PA works and I know it will just be spun as friends. But how the hell can anyone interpret a scene were two people gaze into each others eyes with there hands on their cheeks talking about getting closer to one an another as not romantic? It just makes me angry because now I feel I'm going to get baited. The past episodes gave no inkling of romance and while I prefer yuri its fine if it just goes the friendship route. Now there getting my hopes up for something I know isnt going to happen. Oh well its still pretty enjoyable and who know maybe Ill be proven wrong in the end and Ill be on cloud nine with a wonderful new yuri series.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful review! Spot on observations, especially "I love slow burns, ". The very definition of a Slice of Life. There is something about The Slice as a genre that is very Yuri. After all love and affection are human movements towards intimacy, and in that respect, EP 4 is a Shohei Ohtani hit out of the park as he steals home. The very artistic symmetry between the children playing at the touch pools steals home later with spoiler[The Fuuka x Kukuru touch in their personal touch pool] Any louder and you would have to turn the volume down. The director Toshiya Shinohara and the writer Yuko Kakihara have thrown down the gauntlet that Aquatope is not going to end in simple "friendship". We have names for what is going down here in Bromance/Sormance which in terms of human intensity can easily exceed a Romance. In real terms lovers have given their lives throughout history for their beloved brother or sister and its not trivialized by immediately jumping into bed and making like the three-toed Aardvark. In Aquatope, this Touch Pool is way above subtext now with EP 4! Fuuka and Kukuru are very much falling in love with each other, and if that aint Yuri then go ahead and chum the waters with Yuri bait as you decide whether to actually fish or cut bait!
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:13 pm Reply with quote
boldulysses wrote:
Yay! So glad you're reviewing this!

I think the "is or isn't it yuri?" will be the biggest talking point until the show definitely settles it in one direction or another.

IMO the hand clasp and the hug in the OP are the only things so far that could really be interpreted as "yuri bait."

I for one hope they buck current fashion and don't go that direction, if for no other reason than to show that by golly, two girls (or two guys for that matter) can develop a strong bond without it tipping over into yuri (or yaoi).

But I guess we'll see. I'm along for the ride regardless.

Same. I'd much rather it be a friendship story. If the story gets more into romance I'm dropping it...Judging by the latest episode it looks like it's heading there, but I really hope it won't. The aquarium scenes can be very interesting. It's just a shame that only the aquarium parts are catching my interest and I find the rest of the show so boring. I had hopes for this show.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:15 am Reply with quote
I agree that it feels a little sudden/fast in the progress dept., but I think I'd rather have that then the manga equivalent of 100+ chapters without any -_-
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
A yuri reading of the anime suggests an explanation for Fuuku forsaking her opportunity for a lead role in the idol singer concert and her abandoning her career. Her reasoning for the sacrifice hasn't been given yet. I'm wondering if it was a last act in a doomed, unrequited love for the other singer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
Meandering through a story is what SoL is all about. Enjoy the ride rather than the destination. Thankfully we have an anime mom who is not a She-bat Mom demon from Hell. Fuuka's mom is kind, considerate, thoughtful, and understanding. She wants to go back and visit with grandma to thank her in person and Kukuru makes sure she has plenty of Grandma's Plum wine. She likes Fuuka's Red boots. She is such a loving Mom! I am not that knowledgeable about Japanese home shrines, but I gather that when a picture of someone is placed in the shrine, that means the person is deceased. Two times in EP5, the shrine plays a critical plot role. At 7:30 in you can clearly see the shrine over Fuuka's mom's left shoulder, and there is a picture of a girl who looks a lot like Kukuru. Then at 20:39 in, the story reframes the shrine through grandma's gaze, and to emphasize the frame itself, it refocuses on the shrine while it is in the frame and we clearly see the picture of the girl again. The Aquatope is telling us to pay very close attention to this person, spoiler[Kukuru's mom? her twin sister?] This is a Chekhov's gun device! She will come back! Grandma's Plum Wine is magic, because it causes Fuuka's mom to change her mind, and leave Fuuka with this wonderful cast of wonderful characters and family.
For this fan, if Fuuka and Kukuru find and increase in love for and with each other, then it matters not whether we are in a Romance, a Sormance, or a very intense friendship. Love after all feels the same no matter the context.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if Udon used Pinterest (in their world it would probably be called hinterest or something) for her research. The shaved ice designed like the aquarium creatures is a super cute idea!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11