• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kageki Shoujo!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xolulu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:44 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
Ok let's reel it in people. This is getting off onto a bit of a tangent now. Especially with the condescending comments by 1 or 2 people. Thank you.

I disagree that it's a tangent. People pay money for this. Ideally, the quality of the translated script would be assessed as part of the review, just as other reviews on this site talk about things like DVD extras and other things that don't strictly form part of the show itself. I understand that not all reviewers speak Japanese or are in a position to review the accuracy of a translation, but at the very least it should be a fair topic of discussion in the comments.

We all love anime here, and if we want it to get the quality treatment it deserves, then we need to be open and transparent about where there are problems so that those responsible can do better next time.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the finale and man, I would really like a season two please. I know its probably super unlikely but this was such an enjoyable show to watch each week and had a good number of high points. From the core cast of characters and their individually-focused eps, how they tackled common issues for performing arts students, and even the fun little nods to Takarazuka throughout (TIL they made a musical adaptation of the play Amadeus, who knew?) - I think I got a lot more out of this show than I was expecting!

The only marks against it for me were probably the tail-end of the stalker arc and... maybe the mock sports festival episode? Just because it felt like it had the most "routine" premise and didn't really leave much of an impression of me.

Wonderful reviews by the way - really enjoyed reading them out alongside the episodes!
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:14 am Reply with quote
It's sad second seasons are such a rarity for shojo and josei anime. I'm really hoping Kageki Shojo!! will break the curse and get another, but if not, there's always the manga.

Hands down my favorite show of the Summer 2021 season, and I'll be buying it as soon as it comes out on home video.

KitKat1721 wrote:
maybe the mock sports festival episode? Just because it felt like it had the most "routine" premise and didn't really leave much of an impression of me.

It's actually based on a real Takarazuka Revue event: https://szabokazuka.tumblr.com/post/661968551843856384/dai-undoukai-time-kageki-shoujo-style

These two posts have some fun comparisons of the real life event vs Kageki Shojo's rendition of it: https://szabokazuka.tumblr.com/post/660839807683051520/kageki-shoujo-did-it-again-the-screenshots
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
If the figures in this article are correct, Kageki Shoujo has seen a substantial rise in manga sales since the anime began from about 2,600 in week one to over 13,000 in week eleven. May not be enough for a second season, but it's a start.

https://mobile.twitter.com/al_mavivi/status/1419895309094772741?lang=ca
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10-13 Review/Discussion

spoiler[EPISODE 10
Fun episode, Sei is a really nice person throughout this series.
I had a feeling that woman was the Oscar that Sarasa was talking about, it was a good tease last episode.
Ai was very popular with the girls in the crowd when she was taking those flags out, I think Ai could play either male or female roles, she would get over big time as a Juliet, but I think the female fans would go absolutely wild if she played male roles.
I really like Ai and her long hair, very pretty, very beautiful.

EPISODE 11
Ai saying that not knowing what love is and how to produce it is not surprising.
Her Mother never cared about her since forever.
Other than Taichi, Sarasa is the only other one to show Ai true warmth and kindness, and Ai used that as her motivation and fuel to do such a wonderful performance.
It will definitely take Ai a long time to be a truly happy human being again, but it's a good start, we will definitely see more of this in the future.

EPISODE 12
Aya is an amazing singer, that was great to watch her in action, and also the interaction with Ai calling her a worthy rival.
Another very good backstory for her as well, normally I thought it was the boy the gets friendzoned but anyway, there was also the possibility of her friend confessing to her or just playing around.
I think Aya with long hair is very beautiful, I understand why she has that current hairstyle which she explained herself in a previous episode, but I would like to see the long hair version of her again one day.
I always like seeing more of Sarasa's past as well, the boyfriend/girlfriend talk at the aquarium was good.
Now I am looking forward to see her try Tybalt one more time, I also like the twist of having Andou himself play Romeo, it will be great to watch.

EPISODE 13
Sarasa did a great job as Tybalt, we got to see her version and she was brilliant.
Ai talking about being nervous and then telling Taichi she was really disappointed is not surprising, she wants to be a top star, she really cares which is why she got emotional.
She didn't care about JPX, she joined so she could escape her difficult home life, that's why she never felt anything during that period of her life.
Not surprised that Ayako got Juliet, her performance was outstanding, and that was really good of Kaoru to stand up for her even though she was disappointed about not getting Romeo.
It was good to see Sarasa's hard working paying off and getting the role, only just, she will have a good rivalry with Sawa.
It was good to see a fair bit of Sawa in this episode, she is a good person, she was disappointed but she didn't complain, she only wanted to learn what her weaknesses were and how she could get stronger.
The fangirling part was hilarious, and Sarasa finally got that hand shake.
And that's the end of my new favourite anime.
Sarasa is a wonderful human being, Ai really needed someone like that in her life, Sarasa helped Ai grow and slowly change into a person that was happy and could smile again.
Ai still has flaws, but at least she is on the right path and has good people around her, Sawa, Chiwa, Chiaki, Ayako & Kaoru are all her friends as well.
I do hope we got another season once the manga progresses further into their 2nd year, it's really exciting what they are currently up to.]
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Did the final episode get community score bombed? After the review was posted, the score was 1.7 or 1.8, and now it's sitting at 3.4, way lower than previous episodes.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm really sorry to see Kageki Shoujo end, I really got a kick out of watching the show's antics and drama.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't speak Japanese, but did they really translate "moe" as "fangirl"? Or was it another word that just sounded like moe to my ignorant ears?
Luna Amatista

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't speak Japanese, but did they really translate "moe" as "fangirl"? Or was it another word that just sounded like moe to my ignorant ears?

They did, and it's a great translation for this scenario.

1. If you don't know a lick of Japanese, fangirling needs no explanation, whereas moe does. ​
2. While born from otaku culture, it has broken free of its boundaries and exists outside of it. That means it doesn't have to retain the otaku definition to begin with, but beyond that, it doesn't have to mean the same thing in its language of origin as it does in English. That's just par for the course for loan words.
3. In Western otaku circles (because yes, I'd include some other languages aside from English here), moe has pretty much taken on the specific meaning of cute or adorable factor, whereas in Japanese it's broader - it can pertain to the intense attachment that can border on a parasocial relationship that does not, however, necessarily involve romantic attraction. Btw, I'm not making this up, I'm paraphrasing Japanese sites, dictionaries, etc.
4. It does perfectly emphasize that this seemingly serious teacher perfectly understands the times and the audience of the Takarazuka Revue...
5. Because yes, it does specifically cater to the female gaze.

It was just exciting to see a translation that perfectly understood the meaning behind those words.
BladeBlur

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:40 am Reply with quote
I don't think I have ever seen any episode on ANN get a 5 star review. Damn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6