• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Remake Our Life!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xavon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:31 am Reply with quote
I have to say, all of these theories are very interesting and amusing as someone following the manga.

Is this anime more than one cour? Or are they going to give it its own ending. Because where the story goes after this arc...
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
This show has been surprisingly better than I expected. I'm enjoying seeing it, but maybe it's because I sympathize and redoing things in life in hindsight is something many people like to imagine. Only downside is the predictable love triangles. But if the show sticks to its creative problem-solving of the day strengths then I'm all in!
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...cleverly skipping over last week's completely unnecessary clip show...

I always want to give the production staff the benefit of the doubt: if there's a recap episode, it's either to buy time for better content later or to remind the viewers of things they might need to remember going forward.

And, to be fair, there were things pointed out that I had missed the first time around. I wasn't tracking that the Platinum Project that Eiko and Kyoya were working on in the future was directly with the three Platinum Generation members (who Eiko offered to introduce to Kyoya). I'm not sure what it means that the magical girl in the Platinum Project was a dead ringer for Tomioka Keiko-sempai (though this is probably clearer when comparing the character to her animated version in anime than it would be in real life). I find it interesting that the episode recalled that Tsurayuki had the outline for the train station short in his idea box, but not that future Kyoya had probably cribbed it from a novelized version (for which Kyoya remembered neither title nor author, however). It also seems to me that "Kawagoe Kyoichi" (the third member of the Platinum Generation) is more likely to be the pen name of "Hashiba Kyoya" than of "Rokuounji Tsurayuki," but I have no idea how to untangle the mess that would make of causality.

I really wanted the "Ten Elements" discussion in Episode 1 to be foreshadowing: that there would be significant obstacles for the main characters to overcome, and a prominent antagonist to oppose them. When Sayuri was introduced, I slotted her into the antagonist role. It's still not entirely clear that isn't the case, but for now all the tension has been drained out of that potential plot.

Quote:
Remake Our Life! also starting to lean more and more on Aki and her innocence for sexual gags, which isn't bad so much as it's just filler for a series that had really good momentum.

I don't know. I read Aki not as oblivious and innocent, but self-confident and unperturbed by innuendo. Hasn't she always been the one to initiate things with Kyouya? Rather than filling a "boob-loli" niche, I would say she's subverting it by being the most sexually aware and mature of the cast.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly trying to meet Remake on it's own terms, but it seems very unfocused at best. I am curious to see where it goes but I'm getting a sense that, unlike Shirobako, I don't know that I'll be revisiting this one. I had been hoping that it would lean into the "Remake" part a bit harder, but i can wish all day it was a different show ("If you don't like it, go make your own!") and it won't be other than what the creator wanted it to be. I just don't quite get what that is....
michizure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:25 am Reply with quote
There's a lot to unpack in Episode 8. First:
michizure wrote:
I find myself wanting the show to go beyond this: what events is [Kyoya] preventing or disrupting, because of his return to the past and the subsequent changes that precipitates? As of the end of Episode 5, it's looking more as if Kyoya isn't so much achieving things as re-inventing (re-making?) them.

Remember, the members of the "Platinum Generation" were famous and successful in the original timeline. ... Kyoya's presence was not necessary, and may, in fact, be interfering with other processes that led to these outcomes. Essentially, he is gambling with their futures to improve his own life outcomes (and probably Eiko's, as well). If he does something (e.g., falls into a messy love-polygon) that disrupts their paths, what then?

I'm happy to see the show follow through on this implication. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Quote:
I'm not sure what it means that the magical girl in the Platinum Project was a dead ringer for Tomioka Keiko-sempai ...

This was the shocker for me: when Keiko-sempai goes all Madoka Magica on Kyoya and sends him on the time-skip. It makes me question all the interactions she's had with Team Kitayama since the initial return to the past. Who is she, really? How much does she know?

Quote:
It also seems to me that "Kawagoe Kyoichi" (the third member of the Platinum Generation) is more likely to be the pen name of "Hashiba Kyoya" than of "Rokuounji Tsurayuki," but I have no idea how to untangle the mess that would make of causality.

Asked and answered, but this just raises more questions: why did Tsurayuki pick "Kyoichi" in the original timeline? Did he just like the sound ("today is the best day!"), was there another "Kyo-something" who influenced him, or was Kyoya somehow in two places at once? Normally, I wouldn't even consider this last possibility (Occam's razor and all), but the way this show is going, who knows?

Quote:
I don't know. I read Aki not as oblivious and innocent, but self-confident and unperturbed by innuendo. Hasn't she always been the one to initiate things with Kyouya

I will be interested to see whether future-Aki's personality has changed all that much, besides the responsible-ness that comes from being a decent parent.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Asked and answered, but this just raises more questions: why did Tsurayuki pick "Kyoichi" in the original timeline? Did he just like the sound ("today is the best day!"), was there another "Kyo-something" who influenced him, or was Kyoya somehow in two places at once? Normally, I wouldn't even consider this last possibility (Occam's razor and all), but the way this show is going, who knows?
I was thinking the same thing. But notice that Kyoya doesn't seem to remember the past 8 years or whatever when he wakes up to find himself married. Maybe Kyoya didn't remember his impact on the Platinum Generation the first time around for some magic reason, too. Or maybe it just wasn't the first time around.
michizure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:08 am Reply with quote
Not a lot of new information in Episode 9, but a lot of food for thought on where things go from here.

Kyoya elects to follow hallowed rom-com tradition and bluff his way through a 12-year gap in memory, rather than confess and suffer the consequences. He does dig deeper into the realization that his selfish desire to be part of the Platinum Generation has, in fact, destroyed it instead. He even realizes that his actions have effectively led to Eiko winding up with a lower position than before, although it's not clear that this wasn't overall a better outcome than the cancelled Platinum Project.

I'm starting to wonder if this story isn't intended to be the seinen version of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, with Keiko-sempai as Marley. We've seen the Ghosts of Present, Past, and Yet to Come. Now we just need Kyoya to return to 2016 with an improved attitude and fix things -- for himself, for Eiko, and possibly for the Platinum Generation -- without needing to mess with the timeline.

Meeting the Platinum Generation (and dealing with Eiko) in the unmodified present will be difficult for Kyoya, since none of them will know him at all (unless he really was in two places at once). It would be easy (but creepy) to pass off his intimate and extensive familiarity as the result of him being an unusually perceptive super-fan. His best bet would be to keep it all to himself and remain as detached as possible. I don't know if he can manage it. I will be interested to see if Aki notices that something doesn't add up here in the original timeline, as she did before the time-skip in the alternate.

As much as I agree with Mercedez that Kyoya x Eiko is the best ship, I think we are now stuck with Kyoya x Aki. No matter what the final resolution of the series is, I will be very surprised if it doesn't include Maki being born. I don't think it's coincidental that she is probably about two (anime) years old in 2018.
Netero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:05 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if this story isn't intended to be the seinen version of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, with Keiko-sempai as Marley.

I think you maybe onto something there, this does seem to be more Christmas Carol than Slaughterhouse 5. And Keiko (even her name seems significant) surely knows more about what's happening than she's letting on.

But sheesh, the reviewer is really getting to me, it's all I this, I that, I the other. Really, just stop reviewing yourself and review the damn episode instead Smile
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:38 am Reply with quote
Okay, so going over the last two episodes...

Kyoya seems to be taking a lot of flack, but watching how he handled everyone to get the game launched...I'd say he's honestly a pretty good producer. This might be a bit of "inside baseball", but he did what he needed to to to get the product (the "minimum viable product", really) out the door. That's his job - to produce. It happens a lot - you'd be amazed and possibly horrified at what gets left on the cutting room floor in games.
But...
School is, or at least can be, a time to pursue your passion, to really spread your wings and find what it is that matters to you. Then, once you are in the professional world, which is nothing but compromises and often doing things the way that someone else wants, it's an anchor.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got came from a book called "Your Career in Animation: How to Survive and Thrive", which was that you should have your own project that work on on your own, Even if you just pick at it (the author describes it as the "little elves" method) you have something of your own to keep you grounded and motivated. And it works.

The others were not quite ready for the professional world just yet. And making a game, with the purpose of it being financially successful and on a deadline, is a tough undertaking and one that you are going to have to compromise on. It's an interesting that it hit that group so hard.

I would love to see more of what made everyone stop. it can't just be that, but I can absolutely see how having to compromise too early on would start a cascade that would lead to disillusionment and quitting.

Then there's the question of changing the past so you never had a daughter, or not one with a particular person...
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
moroboshi-kun wrote:
Then there's the question of changing the past so you never had a daughter, or not one with a particular person...

The film About Time uses this as a limitation to prevent time travel past the point of conception, since any minor change to the world might conceivably result in the same specific child never coming into existence.
michizure

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 10 is in, and I am even less clear on what Kyoya is supposed to get out of these experiences. I guess I'll just have to wait for next week (which should probably be the finale, given that the first episode was a double and we had the recap episode). I can only hope that Keiko will make a final appearance to deliver the moral (or at least explain her role in these shenanigans).

But riddle me this: how can Kyoya possibly not realize that the artist that Minori looks up to is Aki? The picture he praised in Episode 9 that got Minori motivated again was clearly a pastiche of Aki's that we saw at the end of Episode 1 (and emphasized again in the recap). Kyoya recognized Aki's work immediately, even though it had presumably been years (from his perspective) since he'd seen it in the original timeline. Now, when (again, from his perspective) it's only been a few months since he last saw it, he doesn't make the connection? Okay, yes, drama -- but plot-wise, wouldn't it have been better to save that reveal until the story is ready to deal with it, rather than depend on protagonist-blindness?

If anyone has read the novels, is this a case where the visuals necessarily give away too much information?
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about episode 10. It seems to be a regression rather than progression. Instead of creating a situation in which Kyoya learns how to better support others' creative talent, the show is once again setting Kyoya to be the "savior," which is exactly what got him into this mess in the first place. I also dislike how all the female characters are utilized or put in situations to serve this goal. Nanako somehow resurfaced to affirm Kyoya's past actions and Kawasegawa is experiencing a crisis so Kyoya can become the problem solver. What even is the purpose of the time skip if it all leads back to "Kyoya can fix everything on his own"?

However, my thoughts are purely based on episode 10 and I might be proven wrong come next episode. Nevertheless, this episode still stands as one of my least favorite episodes from the show thus far.
michizure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
No review for Episode 10 before 11 comes out? I hope the reviewer is okay.

michizure wrote:
I guess I'll just have to wait for next week (which should probably be the finale, given that the first episode was a double and we had the recap episode).

So, Episode 11 is not the finale. I guess the re-cap episode didn't count against the total.

We got some nice Kyoya x Eiko interaction, including a reminder about asking for help as well as helping.

Quote:
I can only hope that Keiko will make a final appearance to deliver the moral (or at least explain her role in these shenanigans).

She does, but we have to wait until next week to find out what.

(Kyoya and Eiko's daughter from the future, come to repair her timeline? That might trump Maki and the Kyoya x Aki ship.)

Quote:
But riddle me this: how can Kyoya possibly not realize that the artist that Minori looks up to is Aki?

Asked and answered: He did know, he just chose not to comment on it until this week. I think he had an opportunity to use this to motivate Aki as well, but he has probably missed out on it at this point.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I found this episode to be a bit Saturday Morning Cartoon-ish. I didn't really understand why Kyoya's pointing out of the issue was convincing while Eiko's was not. "Because a man said it" is entirely plausible in a real-world sense, but that's not the kind of story this show is so I don't think that's what the show was going for. He wasn't higher-ranked than her, and given that he was in charge of the B team there doesn't seem to have been any pre-existing expectation that he would be more right. Having the boss literally fall to his knees was just so far over the top.
boldulysses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quietly starting to really enjoy this. Well, I have ever since "God Knows..." in ep.5, but it's really picked up in the past few episodes.

So....since he's (probably) going back in time again, full steam ahead for the S.S. Kyoya-Kawasegawa! Woohoo! His relationship with Aki never seemed to be more than a one-sided crush anyway...

I liked Kawasegawa's speech ("let others help you") at the end, but it rang a little hollow since Kyoya hasn't been shown to be anything but ridiculously OP from the get-go. Maybe I missed it, but when did he actually need help and refuse it?

I did like the idea communicated that influence isn't a zero-sum game. Just because one thing improved in one area doesn't automatically follow that it will get worse in another.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3