• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:

As for the people who haven't read the Light Novels (source) spoiler[He ends up marrying like 7 different women, so if you really cant stand harems, I advise just dropping the series.]

Why would a dude who prides himself on working himself to the bone do something so bloody time consuming as spoiler[marrying 7 women? There's no way he can meet the needs of seven women and run a kingdom without letting one of those things go to seed.] Baffling. I was really hoping we'd just have one well developed love interest for once, but it is not the isekai way I guess.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

As for the people who haven't read the Light Novels (source) spoiler[He ends up marrying like 7 different women, so if you really cant stand harems, I advise just dropping the series.]

Why would a dude who prides himself on working himself to the bone do something so bloody time consuming as spoiler[marrying 7 women? There's no way he can meet the needs of seven women and run a kingdom without letting one of those things go to seed.] Baffling. I was really hoping we'd just have one well developed love interest for once, but it is not the isekai way I guess.

It's like they are trying to make the harem concept more grounded by making it a normalized, legal thing in-universe, but at the same time not having it work like a real-life harem, because that would make Mc look like a douche. The result is a weird attempt at a polyamorous relationship that would be a nightmare for everyone involved (I've been reading The Apothecary Diaries and I have a lot of opinions on harems now).
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:

It's like they are trying to make the harem concept more grounded by making it a normalized, legal thing in-universe, but at the same time not having it work like a real-life harem, because that would make Mc look like a douche. The result is a weird attempt at a polyamorous relationship that would be a nightmare for everyone involved (I've been reading The Apothecary Diaries and I have a lot of opinions on harems now).

Yeah there's a reason polygamy died out in all but the most backwards of communities. In the long run it really messes up your economy, community and gene pool. (Unless polyandry is just as common, but the show says it's not) If one man has seven wives, it means six men get no wife. Those six men get frustrated that they can't move onto the next phase of their lives, marriage and children, and form gangs of bitter incels that raid and pillage villages and other not nice things. You can fix this issue by liberally banishing men or using them as canon fodder in wars or steal women from other countries, but, you know, yikes to those solutions.

You'd think our "realistic and completely logical" hero would know this. But that would ruin the fantasy of having several hot babes at your beck and call.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I get the impression that "sounding like he knows stuff" was a much higher priority than "knowing stuff" for this author. In the latest episode, it's presented as obvious that mercenaries can't be relied upon over those with direct loyalty, but the whole problem he's facing is that the armies with direct loyalty have direct loyalty to other people, which is its own kind of unreliable. And if there's an entire nation whose primary export is mercenary work, surely he can't be the first person to think of this. Either the mercenaries have developed a solid reputation of loyalty (within the bounds of their contract), or they would have to essentially have a racket (which seems to be the way the show is going, but there's no indication of Japan!King having done anything to address this issue when he fired them).
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I've been stretched pretty thin lately and haven't had the time to respond as much to forum posts on my reviews, but I'm glad to see a lot of the same concerns/issues from folks here that I'm having with the show as is. I'm trying to be optimistic and it's certainly not the worst or anything, but the show seems mediocre at best.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To my mind, these sorts of assertive-but-still-shy moments feel more forced than natural; if she was so embarrassed by the idea why suggest it to begin with?

Because she's been raised on romantic fantasies of how things are supposed to go down. The environment checked off all the classic romance tropes, and they were nominally on a date, so she got carried away and tried to check off another box. But since she hasn't had any actual experience of doing this, when he agreed, she wasn't sure how to act, hence being embarrassed.

Also, girls tend to be socialized to expect their requests are too much, or that asking for anything will trouble others and will probably be turned down at best, and they themselves will be rejected at worst for being selfish. I think she was surprised that he was willing to indulge her "silly" whim, and again, wasn't sure how to cope with her fantasy scenario actually becoming real.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Yeah there's a reason polygamy died out ... If one man has seven wives, it means six men get no wife. Those six men get frustrated that they can't move onto the next phase of their lives, marriage and children, and form gangs of bitter incels that raid and pillage villages and other not nice things....
No offense, but please tell my you are kidding...
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

I'm actually not. Though of course they usually don't call themselves "incels," haha.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/868370 - long story short, the only people who benefit from traditional polygamy is rich dudes. You know, like this show's protagonist!

China's starting to have some of these issues, since they've now got tens of millions more men than women thanks to the one child policy. A lot of China's neighboring countries are having growing issues with their women being kidnapped.

Sorry for the dark rabbit hole just because a crappy isekai tried to promote polygamy, which most of them do anyways. I guess I just expected better on a show all about economics.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

I'm actually not. Though of course they usually don't call themselves "incels," haha.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/868370 - long story short, the only people who benefit from traditional polygamy is rich dudes. You know, like this show's protagonist!

China's starting to have some of these issues, since they've now got tens of millions more men than women thanks to the one child policy. A lot of China's neighboring countries are having growing issues with their women being kidnapped.

Sorry for the dark rabbit hole just because a crappy isekai tried to promote polygamy, which most of them do anyways. I guess I just expected better on a show all about economics.

This seems like a seperate issue that has nothing to do with polygamy.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
You're right. Shouldn't have mentioned China. Was trying to find a modern day comparison. Their issue is similar but not the same: they have a women scarcity issue.

edit: I wrote polygamy but I meant polygyny. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by ThrowMeOut on Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
You're right. Shouldn't have mentioned China. Was trying to find a modern day comparison. Their issue is similar but not the same: they have a women scarcity issue.

While polygamy certainly isn't without issues I don't think it's as cataclysmic as you seem to be making it out to be.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

While polygamy certainly isn't without issues I don't think it's as cataclysmic as you seem to be making it out to be.

No, it's pretty bad. See article. However, I'm probably the dumb one for getting so worked up about it. It's not even the polygyny itself that's the real issue I have with the show, it's that this show that claimed to be about the economics of running a fantasy country isn't actually about the economics of running a fantasy country. Ascendance of a Bookworm wowed me and Spice and Wolf is a classic, both shows put a lot of effort into showing the cost and effect of every cultural and economic shift, making their worlds breathe with life in a way most fantasy stories do not. I was hoping for something like those shows. But Realist Hero is just another bland isekai with a bland lead and a bland set of waifus and I feel kind of dumb for expecting something different.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I'm actually not. Though of course they usually don't call themselves "incels," haha. https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/868370 - long story short, the only people who benefit from traditional polygamy is rich dudes. You know, like this show's protagonist!... I guess I just expected better on a show all about economics.
Thanks for your gracious response. I have found "scientific" articles in the social sciences are usually thinly veiled opinions of the authors or pieces intended to promote an agenda so I would heavily discount what it says. You are closer to the truth if you ask me though, polygamy requires the husband have significantly more income than average or have his harem live a very substandard lifestyle. That by itself would tend to keep widespread polygamy from occurring but I believe the bigger "truth" behind why polygamy is rare is how men and women operate and satisfy their emotional needs within romantic and familial relationships.

Most people I have encountered want their partner to expend their love and resources more on them than anyone else and to do otherwise "cheats" them of what they feel entitled to (if they have a healthy self-esteem). If this condition is not satisfied, the relationship usually ends before too long and the offender has incentive to not make the same mistakes again. Though we all know examples of selfish people who seem to never learn...Women who learn a guy has those tendencies will stay away or get themselves out for the most part and the harem doesn't materialize.

However, I would point out that this show isn't all about economics, but also about international and societal politics at the high level and interpersonal dynamics and how people find value in themselves and others at the individual level. In these aspects, I think the show is doing a great job balancing the story between these scales by having the protagonist be a relatable "everyman" who bridges the extremes while trying to learn and do a good job in an isakai setting.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

However, I would point out that this show isn't all about economics, but also about international and societal politics at the high level and interpersonal dynamics and how people find value in themselves and others at the individual level. In these aspects, I think the show is doing a great job balancing the story between these scales by having the protagonist be a relatable "everyman" who bridges the extremes while trying to learn and do a good job in an isakai setting.

I mean the show has dove into the buying and selling of resources, expanding food stores, and negotiating with neighboring countries for better leverage in a war. So there is economics everywhere. And the political part hasn't grabbed me because barely anyone ever disagrees with the protagonist. Everything he does is the best, even when it's not. Like talking about how the little girl needs to be protected and hidden because of her useful, war-ending abilities, and then he puts her in front of the magic television and blasts her face to every man, woman and child in the country. Like whut.

(Also, I've no issue with non-monogamous relationships in general, so long as everyone is happy with the arrangement. It's just that the show portrays a bad version of it. spoiler[If his seven wives could have their own lovers it'd be a different ball game. But I'm betting they won't.])
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:24 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Like talking about how the little girl needs to be protected and hidden because of her useful, war-ending abilities, and then he puts her in front of the magic television and blasts her face to every man, woman and child in the country. Like whut.

Well, she'd already been on MTV before they knew what her secret power was, so as was pointed out, if they then suddenly hid her away, it would be pretty obvious something was up and there was a reason they felt like she needed all that extra protection. Kinda like if you have massive security around your house, you're basically advertising that you got something worth stealing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8