• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Grant D Clown wrote:
I'm definitely gathering that the light novel has much better pacing. A slower rollout would probably alleviate a lot of the issues I'm having in terms of verisimilitude by giving events more time to breathe.

I think especially given the nature of the novel, where a lot of information is given through narration, Souma-teaching-you-about-this-world style. For reference, the anime is adapting the first 4 light novels (what's effectively known as the "Rebuild the Kingdom" arc, as the author alludes he wanted to change the name of the series after it), which isn't unheard of pace in other light novel adaptations (SNAFU, Danmachi and Toradora come to mind to being even faster in terms of episodes-per-novel)

Wait, when you say adapting four light novels, is that to say that they intend to cover 4 novels worth of content eventually, or that these 12 episode have tried to cover 4 novels worth of content? Because if it's the later, then no wonder I'm having trouble with it - that would be a nightmare to adapt no matter who you are.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched episode 12 yet (apparently it's gonna be 13 episodes long though?), but yeah, in this season it's adapting the first 4 light novel volumes
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
To me, 4 light novel volumes in 1 cour sounds pretty standard for LN adaptions.
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's... I don't envy the team having to adapt it, that sounds like a huge struggle to my mind.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Well Reincarnated as a spider did 5 novels in 24 episodes and it felt rushed as heck in its second half. Take that for what you will. I think it was similar for Ascendance of a Bookworm but it handled the pacing much better.
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Geez, it's a wonder any of these adaptations work.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
To be fair LNs are not all the same page count and some are more dense then others, so adaptations can really vary wildly. I don't think you can fairly compare different adapted volume counts. Overlord has done 3 per season iirc and I've heard plenty is left out there too.

If I hadn't read the manga first, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this season as much as I have. There is definite pacing issues and adaptation issues imo. I can understand why (and figured that's where they would be aiming for) they'd want to get to where they are with the Dukes and Amidonia, but I don't think got a good product out of that rush.

Dian Z wrote:
Is episode 12 supposed to be the end?

No, it's 13, though going in to this episode I also thought it was 12, so that ending came as a surprise. Really, you're just ending it like that? Laughing
Trinder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 am Reply with quote
Realist Hero has definitely been something I wasn't expecting much coming in. However I have really been enjoying the past 3 episodes. I wonder if it does well enough if we could potentially get a second season down the line?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Plus the war was wrapped up so quickly and cleanly - at least from what we saw on screen - that as a viewer it just comes off flat.

My understanding was that the war is far from over. They only captured the capital city, but there's plenty of the country that remains unsubdued.

If that's the case, then his entertainment gig was about a) giving scared people something to smile about, and b) to show them that he wasn't going to be an oppressive conqueror, and that they could still express their love of their homeland, so maybe things won't be so bad as they've been led to expect. Hearts and minds, and all that. If he treats the conquered territory fairly and their lives actually improve under him, the people will be more convincing ambassadors to the rest of the nation than any diplomats or armies could ever hope to be.

That said, I couldn't shake the impression of Soviet propaganda programming from my head as I watched his little broadcast.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Is the author delusional or what !!?

I mean using something as pathetic and absurd like a singing show to make peace with the people they just invaded (and also kill their Prince and soldiers) and they DID. In what reality is that even possible !!!!!

MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I kind of wish Liscia had gotten more battle scenes if only because we haven't seen her fight much and, as the actual Elfrieden royal, she had more reason to fight Gaius. Especially to help Souma.

This war has basically turned Souma into the king he thought he'd never be, to the point where he's not recognizing himself or his train of though.

Souma showing up to help fight Gaius off, despite being incredibly dangerous, because he has to have at least some traditional main character moments.

I'm glad Roroa cared enough about her father to still mourn his death. And that Gaius had enough sense to send Julius out of a losing battle.

First ninja Juna, and now Navy Juna. Is there any outfit she doesn't look good in? Although come to think of it I don't think we've ever seen her wear something that didn't have pants.

Souma needs to be careful about complimenting other women in front of poor Liscia.

I see this show is using the Macross method of conveying peace through idol concerts, with a side dose of national pride.
dandon223

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Sinsekihokimchiansu wrote:
Is the author delusional or what !!?

I mean using something as pathetic and absurd like a singing show to make peace with the people they just invaded (and also kill their Prince and soldiers) and they DID. In what reality is that even possible !!!!!

In one where the subjects do not like their former king.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
The Kings strategies are all based on historical thinking on how to run a kingdom.
The idea behind holding the entertainment show was simple.... Bread and Circuses.

Juvenal a first century Roman poet famously said "Give them bread and circuses and they will never revolt."

Nowadays we know this as a "Hearts and Minds" strategy.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but this show and its story are bad. As some have noted, it might be partly due to the compression of the source material into the format... but that doesn't excuse the fact that the tonality, eventuality of plot points, are frankly bad. It's even worse as a Poli Sci major seeing this being framed as how a "realist" would handle any of these situations, as it almost all boils down to fantasy hero applies impractical solutions to fantasy settings. The entire plotting appears to be little more than retroactive "well, I planned that" after the improbable success of an until then undetailed plan, with terribly plodded explanations. The absurdity of a national broadcast of a signing competition in the immediate aftermath of the conquest of their nation from foreign invaders is just absurdity on top of absurdity. Whatever premise the premise had, the execution is very not good.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
I'm sorry, but this show and its story are bad. As some have noted, it might be partly due to the compression of the source material into the format... but that doesn't excuse the fact that the tonality, eventuality of plot points, are frankly bad. It's even worse as a Poli Sci major seeing this being framed as how a "realist" would handle any of these situations, as it almost all boils down to fantasy hero applies impractical solutions to fantasy settings. The entire plotting appears to be little more than retroactive "well, I planned that" after the improbable success of an until then undetailed plan, with terribly plodded explanations. The absurdity of a national broadcast of a signing competition in the immediate aftermath of the conquest of their nation from foreign invaders is just absurdity on top of absurdity. Whatever premise the premise had, the execution is very not good.

Just to be clear they didn't conquer a nation just that one city.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8