• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'I Have Some Horror Stories': Animator Talks Industry's Problems, Hopes for the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:47 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

This really is no different than the shaming of American clothing brands that were found out doing bad things overseas.

They can be shamed when they're multi-billion dollar companies paying peanuts to their workers

But who to shame in the Japanese production committee system made up of little men
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:12 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

This really is no different than the shaming of American clothing brands that were found out doing bad things overseas.

They can be shamed when they're multi-billion dollar companies paying peanuts to their workers

But who to shame in the Japanese production committee system made up of little men

Shaming only works for a short period of time anyway. As soon as the spot light goes off the company they go back to their old practices. They just use an additional layer of middle men to diffuse the blame. Most of the clothing in this country is still being made in sweat shops, foreign and domestic.
animefan57892

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
It is interesting Astro Boy from Mushi Production was brought up. I always hear people talk about how that TV anime, being the first, started the whole problem. Hayao Miyazaki may have said this as well. I am curious to how valid it is. It sounds reasonable as I have heard Tezuka artificially depressing prices when negotiating with Fuji TV, but unsure if it is true or not.

Source: Gundam Director Shinji Takamatsu Responds to NHK's Anime Industry Special
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-06-14/gundam-director-shinji-takamatsu-responds-to-nhk-anime-industry-special/.117352
Quote:
Many people believe that manga and anime creator Osamu Tezuka, also known as "The God of Manga," is to blame for the current low production costs of anime. He produced Japan's first television anime series, Astro Boy, with a small budget. Tezuka then made up the slack through merchandising and supplementing the production with his own money.

However, Takamatsu labeled that explanation for modern anime's low production costs as an urban legend with "half truth and half lies." According to Takamatsu, Astro Boy was sold to a television network for a low price. However, Tezuka believed that other studios would not make anime for that price. Therefore, one of anime's founding fathers maintained a monopoly and paid employees with his own money.

Takamatsu posted a vintage Mushi Productions recruitment ad from around the time the studio produced Astro Boy. With the economy of 1963 in mind, Takamatsu believes that Mushi Productions treated its employees well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2