• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Sure is a lot of "No true anime fans" and "if you have any problems with it don't criticize it, just don't watch it" going on in here. The gatekeeping going on over some pretty valid criticism of jokes that were pretty cringey is frankly hilarious but not unexpected.

Season 1 was a great anime in spite of the source material, and this season that limit might be reached for me. I read about 6 chapters into when Ilulu was introduced and dropped the series concluding that KyoAni were the ones that actually made it work, but I guess I'm not a true anime fan if I don't love everything about something blindly.

I have a fair share of guilty pleasure fanservice anime I watch myself, but the first season wasn't a fanservice show. It was a comedy that sometimes used fanservice but still had themes of family and a mingling of viewpoints that landed pretty well.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the elitists really came out swinging, huh? Was reading the replies at work before they got scrubbed, some of those posts were cringeworthy. Apparently nobody can have an opinion on stuff they don't like.

I loved the first season of Dragon Maid. The Lucoa bits could be too much, but I enjoyed it all the same. I also don't really have a problem with Ilulu as a character, I actually think she's kinda adorable (can't beat Kanna though). But my GOD, I clutch my chest involuntarily whenever she's on screen. That bust is WAY too large, don't care if you're a dragon or not. There is a lot of jiggle physics and boobage happening based on the first 2 episodes. Maybe they'll tone it down, maybe it'll increase, who knows?
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:

Why did I instantly know that that Youtube link was gonna be to a Noralities video? Yeah, I have already watched her content, and most of it is crap with bad research and extremely far reaching claims. Some of which are extremely offensive.

I'm not saying she's a great analyst, I'm saying this random Tumblr user still has more observational skill than people who convinced themselves S1 wasn't full of loli sexualization.
theblasblas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:

Season 1 was a great anime in spite of the source material, and this season that limit might be reached for me. I read about 6 chapters into when Ilulu was introduced and dropped the series concluding that KyoAni were the ones that actually made it work, but I guess I'm not a true anime fan if I don't love everything about something blindly.

It's not that you aren't a "true anime fan", it's that you aren't a good source for an accurate judgment on the quality of this anime. Same goes for the person who did the review. A review is not supposed to be a "guide on how to appeal to the mainstream", it's supposed to measure how well a particular piece of media was able to accomplish what it set out to do, and for that the best source is the target audience, i.e. not the mainstream.

Seriously, if they're making comments like "For the mainstream audience, or anyone otherwise not interested in fanservice that involves creeping on kid characters" they're just not the right reviewer for Dragon Maid.

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to voice your opinion if you don't like it, but when you're purportedly an "Anime News Network", then you could at least pick a reviewer that's more representative of the target audience, especially since this is already the second season.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:14 pm Reply with quote
theblasblas wrote:

It's not that you aren't a "true anime fan", it's that you aren't a good source for an accurate judgment on the quality of this anime. Same goes for the person who did the review. A review is not supposed to be a "guide on how to appeal to the mainstream", it's supposed to measure how well a particular piece of media was able to accomplish what it set out to do, and for that the best source is the target audience, i.e. not the mainstream.

Seriously, if they're making comments like "For the mainstream audience, or anyone otherwise not interested in fanservice that involves creeping on kid characters" they're just not the right reviewer for Dragon Maid.

What? Since when do people have to be in the target demographic to review something? A review is just that, someone's impression of the show. If you cater who's reviewing what by only having people who like it review it you're introducing implicit bias.

And for that matter the reviewer, and myself, DO like the show and ARE part of the target demographic. We both liked season 1, we just have problems with these 2 episodes.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
Wow, the elitists really came out swinging, huh? Was reading the replies at work before they got scrubbed, some of those posts were cringeworthy. Apparently nobody can have an opinion on stuff they don't like.

To comment on that idea in general, there is a big difference between having an opinion on something you don't like, or agree with, and simply soapboxing or spouting trollish/rude comments. Posting actual coherent thoughts on why you disagree with a review or don't like, or do like, something is not the same as coming in just to throw around bait comments (like saying "I'm not surprised" but adding no actual thoughts on the review or show), insult people personally in some capacity, or generally act belligerent. We have always allowed the former here, not the latter. Just so it's clear for all.

To that point I suggest everyone watch their comments moving forward. We are not going to allow comments where you post bait comments, or insult fans, the reviewer, or people who simply have a different opinion than your own. Debate the show or the actual review, not the people. We are also surely not going to entertain any of the elitist "true fan" comments or discussions. If you can't accept that people might have a different opinion than your own, and that it does not make them somehow less of a fan, then you can go elsewhere where that sort of self gratifying echo chamber is smiled upon.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
RenRen94 wrote:

There is a big difference between having an opinion on something you don't like, or agree with, and simply soapboxing or spouting trollish/rude comments. Posting actual coherent thoughts on why you disagree with a review or don't like, or do like, something is not the same as coming in just to throw around bait comments (like saying "I'm not surprised" but adding no actual thoughts on the review or show), insult people personally in some capacity, or generally act belligerent. We have always allowed the former here, not the latter.

Just for clarification, I'm not defending the troll comments that were scrubbed (hopefully my words didn't convey this). The sentence "Apparently nobody can have an opinion on stuff they don't like" was aimed at the trolls who have a problem with Lynzee's review and have a problem with the opinions of fans who like the show and aren't fans of the fanservice.

Moving on, episode 3 was much more wholesome, though I kinda forgot about Saikawa's monster crush on Kanna. The kids + Ilulu playing Monopoly was a highlight, and the adults trying designing maid outfits for Kobayashi was fun. Tohru...should probably stick to being a maid Laughing
I just need more Fafnir and everything would be great. Wink
theblasblas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:

What? Since when do people have to be in the target demographic to review something?

Depends on the purpose of the review, a review on something that purports to be an "Anime News Network" should strive to be an accurate measure of the quality of the anime. The quality of an anime can be measured by how it appeals to their target demographic.

At the very least, the target demographic should be kept in mind when writing the review, but in this case the reviewer did the exact opposite and took the stance of someone who doesn't like the things the target demographic finds appealing, such as the fanservice.

Really overall, it's a low quality review. Largely in part because the reviewer doesn't really say anything, they have the implication of saying something, but they don't actually say it. Like how the reviewer goes on and on for three paragraphs about Kobayashi's penis, but doesn't actually explain why she finds it unfunny or why it "goes sour" when she gives it thought.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Do you really need me to explain the issues with "men are baseline hornier than women" and "women with a penis are more likely to be sexually driven/overcome by their desires" in this political climate? Like I said in the review, I debated whether to waste 100s of words on something where I'd likely be "tsked" as reading to much into it so I refrained under the assumption that anyone who thought about it for half a minute would know what I meant.

Like, it's introducing a joke that is going to be really uncomfortable for some trans folks and perpetuates boring old gender stereotypes with zero thought about how it could be perceived. But it's also so inconsequential to the overall plot that I'm, personally, too tired to get riled up either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:07 pm Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:

Just for clarification, I'm not defending the troll comments that were scrubbed (hopefully my words didn't convey this). The sentence "Apparently nobody can have an opinion on stuff they don't like" was aimed at the trolls who have a problem with Lynzee's review and have a problem with the opinions of fans who like the show and aren't fans of the fanservice.

My apologies, it did sound as if you were taking umbridge with the fact that dissenting opinions were scrubbed, as you put it. I appreciate the clarification. I edited my previous post so it sounds more as if I am simply using that comment of yours as a jumping off point, and not directed at you individually.

On a different note, theblasblas you're walking a thin line. I already removed one post where you said much the same. You might've tweaked the wording around but I said clearly debate the review and not the reviewer. You're revised comments are still close to crossing that line. Posting the same rhetoric after having a post removed is also not a good idea. If you try it again without talking to a moderator first the subsequent post will be removed on the spot.

Your complaints also come off as little more than someone being upset their fanservice is not being lauded by the reviewer. So you're going to insinuate they don't know how to do their job because they don't agree with you. That's not going to fly. As I already said, debate and criticize the review, not the reviewer or fans/people with differing opinions. This is not up for debate.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed first two episodes. I laughed a lot. Hmmm, I don't know if I'm numb to the fanservice but I think it's better for most to ignore it? No anime is going to be perfect but I'm glad kyoani is getting back on their feet.

kakugo complete wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

Why did I instantly know that that Youtube link was gonna be to a Noralities video? Yeah, I have already watched her content, and most of it is crap with bad research and extremely far reaching claims. Some of which are extremely offensive.

I'm not saying she's a great analyst, I'm saying this random Tumblr user still has more observational skill than people who convinced themselves S1 wasn't full of loli sexualization.

Eh, don't trust that YouTuber. They have gotten 85% information of their videos to he wrong such as the abuse going on in Japan and saying "racism = lolis" (this hurts me as a dark skin Mexican and many black anime fans). They lack of understanding and unable to take criticism from others so their skills aren't the best.....

Sorry this is out topic for the mods. Simply had to correct those with given false information.
seiyakino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
I enjoyed first two episodes. I laughed a lot. Hmmm, I don't know if I'm numb to the fanservice but I think it's better for most to ignore it? No anime is going to be perfect but I'm glad kyoani is getting back on their feet.

kakugo complete wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

Eh, don't trust that YouTuber. They have gotten 85% information of their videos to he wrong such as the abuse going on in Japan and saying "racism = lolis" (this hurts me as a dark skin Mexican and many black anime fans). They lack of understanding and unable to take criticism from others so their skills aren't the best.....

Sorry this is out topic for the mods. Simply had to correct those with given false information.

Would you please cite the video where she said that? It doesn't match the takes I've heard from her, but I haven't seen all of her videos. I do know she has one about Dragon Maid in particular, including that there are things she even likes about it but ultimately couldn't support it for much the same reason the writer of this review cited as problematic, and for the record I didn't find her criticisms in it to be off-base.

EDIT: THis is even assuming it's on-topic for the post. Your (and for that matter my) INTERPRETATION of a YouTuber who is not otherwise mentioned in the article may not be relevant. If it isn't, mods, please feel free to delete.
palom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:31 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Do you really need me to explain the issues with "men are baseline hornier than women" and "women with a penis are more likely to be sexually driven/overcome by their desires" in this political climate? Like I said in the review, I debated whether to waste 100s of words on something where I'd likely be "tsked" as reading to much into it so I refrained under the assumption that anyone who thought about it for half a minute would know what I meant.

Like, it's introducing a joke that is going to be really uncomfortable for some trans folks and perpetuates boring old gender stereotypes with zero thought about how it could be perceived. But it's also so inconsequential to the overall plot that I'm, personally, too tired to get riled up either.

The penis joke have absolutely nothing to do with trans stuff. She was TOTALLY turned psychicaly into a man, even with masculine hormones, she looks like the same just because she's flat. Even in the manga Kobayashi talks about how she looks the same even on a male body. Sex drive is higher in man than woman because of the hormones and Kobayashi wasn't used to feel that.
TottoBennington

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Love Dragon Maid, S1 was great, S2 is still great, no problems for me other than the episodes feel way to short.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:44 pm Reply with quote
palom wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

The penis joke have absolutely nothing to do with trans stuff. She was TOTALLY turned psychicaly into a man, even with masculine hormones, she looks like the same just because she's flat. Even in the manga Kobayashi talks about how she looks the same even on a male body. Sex drive is higher in man than woman because of the hormones and Kobayashi wasn't used to feel that.

I don't want to single you out but literally everything you just said is...wrong and exactly the issue I had with the basis of the joke itself, which again, had very little importance in the story and episode as a whole besides being a one-off gag that didn't land for me.

Kobayashi doesn't become a "man" because her genitals magically change unless, again, you subscribe to gender essentialism nonsense. For the joke to work you have ignore that trans people exist, which I'm pretty sure is how it was conceived in the first place, which is part of the problem.

Also did you mean "psychically" (as in mentally?) or "physically" (as in her body?) because I definitely don't recall some kind of "manbrain" changes being a part of what happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10