• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:05 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
palom wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Do you really need me to explain the issues with "men are baseline hornier than women" and "women with a penis are more likely to be sexually driven/overcome by their desires" in this political climate? Like I said in the review, I debated whether to waste 100s of words on something where I'd likely be "tsked" as reading to much into it so I refrained under the assumption that anyone who thought about it for half a minute would know what I meant.

Like, it's introducing a joke that is going to be really uncomfortable for some trans folks and perpetuates boring old gender stereotypes with zero thought about how it could be perceived. But it's also so inconsequential to the overall plot that I'm, personally, too tired to get riled up either.

The penis joke have absolutely nothing to do with trans stuff. She was TOTALLY turned psychicaly into a man, even with masculine hormones, she looks like the same just because she's flat. Even in the manga Kobayashi talks about how she looks the same even on a male body. Sex drive is higher in man than woman because of the hormones and Kobayashi wasn't used to feel that.

I don't want to single you out but literally everything you just said is...wrong and exactly the issue I had with the basis of the joke itself, which again, had very little importance in the story and episode as a whole besides being a one-off gag that didn't land for me.

Kobayashi doesn't become a "man" because her genitals magically change unless, again, you subscribe to gender essentialism nonsense. For the joke to work you have ignore that trans people exist, which I'm pretty sure is how it was conceived in the first place, which is part of the problem.

Also did you mean "psychically" (as in mentally?) or "physically" (as in her body?) because I definitely don't recall some kind of "manbrain" changes being a part of what happened.

I think they're suggesting the possibility that Kobayashi was fully changed into a biological male, not just in regards to her genitals, but her whole body. Which, frankly, is something I'd want to know as well (because I haven't watched it lmao) . Is it a full gender-bender situation, or is she literally just getting a dick attached to her otherwise entirely female body?

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Florete

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:05 am Reply with quote
Today I learned: An episode review is supposed to judge the studio who made it, not the episode itself. Also, if a reviewer doesn't like something in a show, they shouldn't review the show, only people who actually like it should review it.

What a load of garbage this comment section produced. Why can't these people just stay in their own echo chambers if every ANN review offends them so much?

Sigh...I guess I should say at least something about the show itself. The...less savory elements of the series don't bother me personally, but it's a shame because it makes it a lot harder to recommend it to people I know who would definitely like the good parts of the series. I don't like having to say, "It's great, buuuuut..." Ilulu definitely isn't helping, and again, it's a real shame because I think pretty much everything about the character so far has been really good...except for those massive milkers. It doesn't bother me, but it means I can't share it very easily.
theblasblas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:00 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

I don't want to single you out but literally everything you just said is...wrong and exactly the issue I had with the basis of the joke itself, which again, had very little importance in the story and episode as a whole besides being a one-off gag that didn't land for me.

Iruru and Kobayashi's talk didn't deny what Iruru is, it didn't deny that she has the innate destructive urges of a dragon, but rather that those urges do not define her. Iruru giving Kobayashi a penis is her going "put your money where your mouth is". So I'd say it had its place in the story.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:37 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Uzumaid
Apparently I'm popular on twitter so I just wanna apologise. I'm sorry, it's Uzamaid. I've really got egg on my face. I'll never live down this blunder

I expected my comment to get a few snide remarks at best and I feel a mess would have happened either way. But I do sincerely apologise for whatever role I played in motivating people who turned this into an anti feminist dogpile. People like that suck so much worse than anything I was talking about. My point wasn't "don't talk about the social issue!!!", more "I'd be a lot more willing to discuss the issue with people who hadn't consistently failed at these discussions in the past"

I had a grievance, I aired it. I don't care about asserting any kind of superiority. Let's all just assume there was a big debate where I lost, slipped on a banana peel and split my pants to reveal a pair of love heart boxers.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
cosmo321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:37 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Kobayashi doesn't become a "man" because her genitals magically change unless, again, you subscribe to gender essentialism nonsense. For the joke to work you have ignore that trans people exist, which I'm pretty sure is how it was conceived in the first place, which is part of the problem.
Are you completely sure it's not you who missed the mark this time though? If, as others have stated, she grew a penis because she actually turned into a man the entire perceived dynamic of the scene would change wouldn't it? Kobayashi does say she turned into a man, not just that her genitalia changed. That could also include reacting to female pheromones. As Kobayashi isn't used to that it seems very plausible it would catch her off guard as we see in the show. It doesn't have to do anything with sex drive or anything like that.

I find it very interesting how this show in particular keeps being so controversial.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:11 am Reply with quote
A part of me wants to throw my hat in the ring as it were with regards to the whole "Kobayashi gender change" thing.

Personally, I feel even if someone's gender was changed, they should have enough mental control to avoid getting so flustered over stuff. Yes, Touru in a towel would be a bit much but Kanna sleeping next to her causing a reaction really seems very off and also kind of horrid in implication. Regardless of whether it was merely a genital change or a full body conversion, the idea that she isn't able to control any "instincts" she feels is very reductionist

As for the rest of episode 2, I get where they are coming from with Ilulu being a nature vs nurture sort of thing but the gag at the very end with her just felt painful to watch. Frankly, that was enough for me to want to drop the show. I probably will still see clips of the show online but full episode viewing is off the table for me.
cosmo321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:23 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
but Kanna sleeping next to her causing a reaction really seems very off and also kind of horrid in implication.
I didn't interpret it like this. Kobayashi also didn't want to be found out about the gender change, so I just interpret it as such. When that is being said the show does sexualize it's characters, so I can see why this show does put off people.
theblasblas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:23 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Regardless of whether it was merely a genital change or a full body conversion, the idea that she isn't able to control any "instincts" she feels is very reductionist.

She IS able to control herself, she didn't act on her horniness after all. What she can't control is a physiological reaction such as an erection, and if you're not used to having a pole sticking out of your crotch you're gonna get flustered. It's a good enough parallel to how dragons like Tohru and Iruru feel an instinct to covet and destroy, but they can channel those instincts towards something else like Fafnir or control them like how Tohru didn't just destroy the town while protecting only Kobayashi.
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:24 am Reply with quote
cosmo321 wrote:
Izanagi009 wrote:
but Kanna sleeping next to her causing a reaction really seems very off and also kind of horrid in implication.
I didn't interpret it like this. Kobayashi also didn't want to be found out about the gender change, so I just interpret it as such. When that is being said the show does sexualize it's characters, so I can see why this show does put off people.

She literally had to keep herself from screwing Kanna even without a wang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48LimWBjius
cosmo321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:34 am Reply with quote
kakugo complete wrote:
She literally had to keep herself from screwing Kanna even without a wang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48LimWBjius
On a magic love potion though.

Kanna is a character that introduces a ton of potential issues. She is presented as a small girl character, but are 7000 years old, is horny for Kobayashi out of jealousy for Tohru, then redirects it to her classmate instead. The entire show is weird, and I get that it's not everyones cup of tea.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:09 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
palom wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Do you really need me to explain the issues with "men are baseline hornier than women" and "women with a penis are more likely to be sexually driven/overcome by their desires" in this political climate? Like I said in the review, I debated whether to waste 100s of words on something where I'd likely be "tsked" as reading to much into it so I refrained under the assumption that anyone who thought about it for half a minute would know what I meant.

Like, it's introducing a joke that is going to be really uncomfortable for some trans folks and perpetuates boring old gender stereotypes with zero thought about how it could be perceived. But it's also so inconsequential to the overall plot that I'm, personally, too tired to get riled up either.

The penis joke have absolutely nothing to do with trans stuff. She was TOTALLY turned psychicaly into a man, even with masculine hormones, she looks like the same just because she's flat. Even in the manga Kobayashi talks about how she looks the same even on a male body. Sex drive is higher in man than woman because of the hormones and Kobayashi wasn't used to feel that.

Also did you mean "psychically" (as in mentally?) or "physically" (as in her body?) because I definitely don't recall some kind of "manbrain" changes being a part of what happened.

Maybe this is going to sound ironic, misinformed or misguided, being that I talk way too much about gender. But I don't entirely have problems with the genderswap. For starters I do think that the proper words would more be like "sex swap", she is generally androgynous already, that maybe based on just appearances is that just a genital change.

But also, I can't say if this a hard rule, and perhaps I really have no right to say this as no expert. But I am pretty sure that I have heard from some trans youtubers that they have experienced an increase in horniness from being on male hormones, and a decrease from being on female hormones. I could theoretically see that perhaps Kobayashi who might be unfamiliar with male hormones might find it distracting.

I don't know if it is actually something many other people experience (I don't take anything like hormones), but certain days it can feel like my testosterone is high or something. I get aggressive urges like wanting to fight and a high libido, which can be very distracting over days that I don't really feel anything like that. Which has had me ponder before if some men feel that all the time.

Anyway, I saw it not as Kobayashi becoming a man, she was still herself, but she got a male body that came with things like hormones that she was not used to. So almost like a transman she was introduced to hormone levels she was not used, but like a transwoman she was still a woman in the inside. Although trying to connect it to real life trans allegories is probably fruitless.

But in ways, Kobayashi's gender is even an aspect of the third episode, since she admitted that she tried a cute maid dress in the past and was kind of told that it did not suit her. And has since has kind of dressed masculinely. It does actually seem like a fairly key part of her character that she has had a hang-up over her gender or its presentation. Kobayashi seems to not dress in masculine clothes as something she is comfortable in, but she doesn't think a feminine appearance would look good on her.
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Uzumaid
Apparently I'm popular on twitter so I just wanna apologise. I'm sorry, it's Uzamaid. I've really got egg on my face. I'll never live down this blunder

I expected my comment to get a few snide remarks at best and I feel a mess would have happened either way. But I do sincerely apologise for whatever role I played in motivating people who turned this into an anti feminist dogpile. People like that suck so much worse than anything I was talking about. My point wasn't "don't talk about the social issue!!!", more "I'd be a lot more willing to discuss the issue with people who hadn't consistently failed at these discussions in the past"

I had a grievance, I aired it. I don't care about asserting any kind of superiority. Let's all just assume there was a big debate where I lost, slipped on a banana peel and split my pants to reveal a pair of love heart boxers.

The swole pedo maid show is in no way "viler" than Maid Dragon. No character is as "mask off" in Maid Dragon but both appeal to the exact same sexual proclivities.

cosmo321 wrote:
kakugo complete wrote:
On a magic love potion though.

In-universe explanations don't do much when the question being asked is "why would the author make this narrative decision". I'm not judging Kobayashi as a real person, I'm saying that plot development is further proof it's meant to be a weird otaku show & its temporary western reputation as a show about progressive queer representation was silly.

The appeal of scenes like that is someone normie and "proper" like Kobayashi being forced into perverted situations, c'mon.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:36 am Reply with quote
kakugo complete wrote:
In-universe explanations don't do much when the question being asked is "why would the author make this narrative decision". I'm not judging Kobayashi as a real person, I'm saying that plot development is further proof it's meant to be a weird otaku show & its temporary western reputation as a show about progressive queer representation was silly.

If people find positive queer representation with Tohru and Kobayashi then they're free to interpret it that way if they want. Personally, I generally try to avoid linking anime to any kind of issues like that since it's always going to disappoint people. Ignoring all the other stuff for the sake of one small aspect of the show seems akin to ordering a big salad and then only eating the croutons and throwing away the rest. It's certainly within someone's right to do that, but at that point it just seems like a waste and it'd be more productive to find something else you'd enjoy more. If the idea of Kobayashi being attracted to Kanna or other problematic elements about her character ruins the positives then I'm not really sure what to say since I feel the show and characters have been pretty open and honest about what they are and who their primary demographic is since day 1.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:48 am Reply with quote
We can discuss anime tiddies, shotas, lolis and gender politics till the sun goes down for the very last time. It wouldn't change my opinion of the show regardless. I bought the first season of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid on blu ray the week after the KyoAni tragedy happened. After donating some money, I wanted to show my further support for the studio by buying on of their few shows I didn't own yet. But because the tragedy was still far too recent, I waited for a year before finally watching the show.

Well, I watched it. All of it. And the moment I was done I sold off that blu ray again. I find the show to be absolutely terrible, just a boring, assembly-line mass of overused jokes and bland characters which only exist to fill a diversity quota of annoying anime stereotypes, a type of show that would have seemed to be played out and old hat even in the mid nineties. By comparison even something as vapid as Tenchi Muyo or Oh My Goddess seemed almost meaningful to me. And even though the animation is still technically good, there was simply nothing in it that was visually interesting enough or offered up some interesting direction to elevate the material at least a bit.

And that's a shame, because I think Yasuhiro Takemoto was generally a pretty good director who delivered at least one of the best tv series of the past decade in Hyouka and made some brilliant choices in The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's a shame that his final work is now Dragon Maid, a show that's utterly mediocre even by the undemanding standards of its own genre.
LuffyTDS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:02 am Reply with quote
Kobayashi did turn biologically male, she said as much herself. Biological sex does not erase the existence of trans people. And she wasn't getting an erection over Kanna, she was trying to hide the transformation and Kanna getting near her crotch could expose it. Hope that clears things up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10