• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_xeno

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:21 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Redbeard 101 wrote:

Then comes the multitude of excuses for why that reviewer sucks and is just wrong. In this case we've already had the quite old, "but she's not really a child, so even if she looks like a child it's ok to ogle her, sexualize her, and insert her into my own fantasies and if you find the sexualization of what looks like a young child to be off putting you're just some morally wrong a-hole trying to shove western values onto everyone", excuse show up for that part that was criticized. Another prime example of that particular reasoning was with Dance in the Vampire Bund. "They're really quite old and adults so it's ok if they look like kids". The hypocritical thing is that when the situations are reversed, and it's a male character that's actually an adult but put into a child's body, that same group will say how that male character is just a child so they don't know any better in regards to questionable conduct. Like with our old pal Rudy. Funny how that one way street works..

I don't know why people are so obsessed with the word "ok" when it comes to what can be shown in anime in the first place.

It's anime. A cartoon. Fantasy not reality. That means everything that happens in it is morally "ok".

I really don't believe in 'immoral anime'. I only believe in 'good taste' and 'bad taste'. And something being tasteless doesn't make it "bad" or "wrong".

Art doesn’t exist in a vacuum. It’s a thing that exists in the real world, made by people in the real world, for people in the real world. Fiction works because it takes concepts from reality and uses them to tell stories that resonate with real people and their real feelings in reality. No matter how detached you may have convinced yourself it is the only reason you like the things you do is because of the circumstances of your own life and the reactions you’ve formed from them, same as everyone else. Reviewers are simply explaining theirs, and other people can compare their reactions to theirs based on their own loved experiences. It’s a conversation that has existed as long as art, and trying to stop it by simply declaring fiction as absent of reality is a sad way to instead remove yourself from enjoying that discussion with the rest of humanity.

That's side stepping the issue. The fact is that we are still talking about utter and complete fantasy.... fiction. You still have yet to explain exactly how or why it does or should matter, let alone why it should have any moral or ethical bearing on reality. You can't just claim that "it does" just "because." If someone feels like they have trouble telling the difference between it and reality then that's their problem. But please don't go speaking for everyone else. I mean next are we going to have to again start hearing how violent video games and media causes real violence? That kind of fallacy has been long debunked, i'd rather not try to revive it again... no matter how "icky" fiction makes some feel.

Key wrote:
James_xeno wrote:
Why was Lynzee even given this to review if she had such personal hangups about it?

You should probably pay more attention before posting. Lynzee clearly said in a previous post in this thread that she's the one who makes the final call on review assignments, so she - as a fan of the first season - chose to do this herself. (And before you try to insinuate that she must not have been a "true fan," note that is was her #3-ranked title for 2017. I think that qualifies.)

Sorry about that, i only read the first few pages before writing that. But I saw her post now. Also, I didn't claim that she wasn't a fan, just that clearly the style and content of the series didn't sit right with her. Sometimes things we like aren't the best things for us in other ways. (or in this case because of other outside issues/views) It all comes down to how important the details are in balance.

Last edited by James_xeno on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:32 am Reply with quote
James_xeno wrote:
Quote:
For the mainstream audience, or anyone otherwise not interested in fanservice that involves creeping on kid characters, a show like Dragon Maid can be frustrating.

Did you just claim that "mainstream" audiences aren't interested in fanservice?!

No, she didn't claim that. She acknowledged that there are people, within the mainstream and otherwise, who are not interested in fanservice that involves creeping on kid characters. Surely you're not going to argue that all types of fanservice are equally beloved by all who enjoy any type?
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:51 am Reply with quote
Despite all the uh, heat in here, I just wanted to pop in and say I really loved the segment about Kobayashi and her maid costume. I've always really related to Kobayashi (if that wasn't clear by my avatar), but not exactly her fascination with maids. But her explaining that it started because she wanted to be cute and pretty made it completely relatable. I wear women's clothes, but they are definitely more on the masculine side because I don't feel like girly and feminine stuff suits me, even though I wish it did. But I did discover the power of cosplay when I was younger, and I wore a Disney Princess-esque ballroom style wedding dress to my wedding even though everyone said it was so unlike me. Razz And I do fawn over cute anime idol costumes, so I guess I have my own version of maids after all!

Anyway, just wanted to say it's really nice having a show with a main character I can relate to so well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
battle-arc-fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
For all the folks objecting to the fanservice and underage sexualization, I am still going to play the "double standard" card but in a different context.

Japan doesn't adhere to western standards of sexual morality. A lot of people ignore that this cuts both ways. It is why anime that celebrates LGBT like Yuri on Ice, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura etc. have been massive mainstream hits in Japan for decades where no Disney movie has done any more than have a pair of unnamed characters briefly kiss in the background (in the same Star Wars franchise that actually did the anime brocon/siscon thing with Luke/Leia and Ren/Rey no less). And yes why Dragon Maid - with Kobayashi/Tohru and Kanna/Riko - exists at all.

But consider how the other way "cuts." The idea that female fanservice aimed at het males - the a person I disagree with politically adjacent commenters who whine "no one complains about male fanservice or even female fanservice in works aimed at LGBT audiences" are literally correct but to quote Snopes.com "lacks context" about the power dynamics thing - is objectification does in fact have at its root western puritanical ideas that challenge open sexual expression and desire in the first place because the idea that sexual desire and expression will inevitably lead to violence and other harms is totally absent in the culture. (Note: I am using "puritanical" in a historical development of culture sense, not as a perjorative.) Remove that and there aren't going to be anything to inhibit depicting fetishes and kinks either.

What westerners are demanding of Dragon Maid - and more broadly the anime industry in general - is to adopt western LGBT and third wave feminist politics. That ignores that such politics did not develop in isolation but instead were a reaction to a (arguably formerly) dominant western cultural context that never existed in Japan. So ... imposing western ideas on other cultures is fine so long as they are your ideas and not those of your western political opponents? That is asking them to fight your battles instead of their own and for your benefit as opposed to theirs. To put it another way ... objecting to characters that were (almost) certainly created to appeal to het males like Lucoa and Ilulu is different from someone with a traditional western worldview objecting to the Kobayashi/Tohru and Kanna/Riko attraction how? Japan should be as free from western progressive ideology as they are from western conservative ideology to pursue themes in their artistic and mass media because both the western progressivism that you agree with and the western conservatism that you oppose are still western ideas created by westerners for westerners.

It may well be that the entirety of Dragon Maid is to explore family and relationship structures. Consider that Makoto Takiya and Fafnir - asexual and use shared hobbies as the basis of their cohabitation relationship and a replacement for blood familial, romantic or sexual bonds. It is a mirror - by this I mean an inverted reflection - of the Kobayashi/Tohru one. Add that to Kanna/Riko (two young females), Lucoa/Shota (adult woman/young male), and later this season spoiler[Ilulu/Taketo (teen girl/teen boy)]. Opposing any one of the 4 - or how they are depicted when they are ALL done in an absurdist and provocative comedic fashion - is merely your western bias speaking. As well as ... deciding to ignore that this is a seinen (not yuri or josei) work begin with.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
James_xeno wrote:

That's side stepping the issue. The fact is that we are still talking about utter and complete fantasy.... fiction. You still have yet to explain exactly how or why it does or should matter, let alone why it should have any moral or ethical bearing on reality. You can't just claim that "it does" just "because." If someone feels like they have trouble telling the difference between it and reality then that's their problem. But please don't go speaking for everyone else. I mean next are we going to have to again start hearing how violent video games and media causes real violence? That kind of fallacy has been long debunked, i'd rather not try to revive it again... no matter how "icky" fiction makes some feel.

Post removed

That’s absolutely not what I said, and really takes being combative and not reading my words to get that. What I said was that just like everyone else who you are is shaped by your personal experiences. Which are yours and yours alone. Where you’re from, who you surround yourself with. What you’ve seen and done. And on and on. Fiction is a way for people to share how their own experiences have formed them, and that art resonates with people based on their experiences.Sometimes it’s what they have in common. Sometimes it’s where they differ. Art is a conversation. Reviewers are a continuation of that conversation. By putting their reactions out there they give a perspective that is meant to help inform others on the art. This does not mean you have to agree with the reviewer. A good reviewer will have people that disagree with them! Because their experiences that have shaped who they are will differ too much. The things to take away from those times are listening to why they differ from you and understanding where they come from. To broaden your own knowledge of how other people feel. And at the end of the day if you know where you differ from that reviewer you will be able to tell whether or not you’ll enjoy something from their reviews even if you don’t agree with it. That’s what makes a good reviewer. Everyone grows from that process, but by refusing to believe that fiction holds real meaning you’re cutting yourself off from that entire conversation.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
by refusing to believe that fiction holds real meaning you’re cutting yourself off from that entire conversation.

I believe that fiction can hold real meaning...on an emotional level at least. I just don't believe that it can influence people to imitate immoral actions...unless they are very young children...which is why very young children should not be watching certain anime and movies until they get older.

But lately, something called 'purity culture' has many people clutching their pearls every single time something even slightly different from society's norms...and they want it removed and they want everyone who likes said thing to suffer for it. These are the same people who claim that "sexualizing minors" in anime "is bad" even though nobody real is being harmed at all. They only want to erase it because it "makes them feel icky". Rolling Eyes
Whereas an intelligent human being should just be saying "Hey, I don't like this so I'm going to turn it off and leave the people who like it alone."
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But lately, something called 'purity culture' has many people clutching their pearls every single time something even slightly different from society's norms...and they want it removed and they want everyone who likes said thing to suffer for it.

None of that is happening in the reviews or is being advocated for in this thread. Please don't derail it over a culture war boogeyman that doesn't exist here. Thanks.

Quote:
These are the same people who claim that "sexualizing minors" in anime "is bad" even though nobody real is being harmed at all. They only want to erase it because it "makes them feel icky".

These aren't the same people and you're conflating one group, "people who are uncomfortable with sexual depictions of minors" with another "people who want censorship."

The circles might overlap but they aren't synonymous. I'm asking everyone to move on, now. This straight up isn't relevant and the outrage being injected into this thread is by people pretending it is.

rizuchan wrote:
Despite all the uh, heat in here, I just wanted to pop in and say I really loved the segment about Kobayashi and her maid costume. I've always really related to Kobayashi (if that wasn't clear by my avatar), but not exactly her fascination with maids. But her explaining that it started because she wanted to be cute and pretty made it completely relatable. I wear women's clothes, but they are definitely more on the masculine side because I don't feel like girly and feminine stuff suits me, even though I wish it did. But I did discover the power of cosplay when I was younger, and I wore a Disney Princess-esque ballroom style wedding dress to my wedding even though everyone said it was so unlike me. Razz And I do fawn over cute anime idol costumes, so I guess I have my own version of maids after all!

Anyway, just wanted to say it's really nice having a show with a main character I can relate to so well.

I really liked this about Kobayashi as well. I found it relatable as someone who had a lot of disappointments about my body as a teen/early 20s compared to how I wanted it to be. It definitely influenced what I felt like I could wear without being seen as 'trying too hard and looking dumb as a result.' It's a really hard frame of mind to break, even now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
battle-arc-fan wrote:
But consider how the other way "cuts." The idea that female fanservice aimed at het males - the a person I disagree with politically adjacent commenters who whine "no one complains about male fanservice or even female fanservice in works aimed at LGBT audiences" are literally correct but to quote Snopes.com "lacks context" about the power dynamics thing - is objectification does in fact have at its root western puritanical ideas that challenge open sexual expression and desire in the first place because the idea that sexual desire and expression will inevitably lead to violence and other harms is totally absent in the culture. (Note: I am using "puritanical" in a historical development of culture sense, not as a perjorative.) Remove that and there aren't going to be anything to inhibit depicting fetishes and kinks either.

What westerners are demanding of Dragon Maid - and more broadly the anime industry in general - is to adopt western LGBT and third wave feminist politics. That ignores that such politics did not develop in isolation but instead were a reaction to a (arguably formerly) dominant western cultural context that never existed in Japan. So ... imposing western ideas on other cultures is fine so long as they are your ideas and not those of your western political opponents? That is asking them to fight your battles instead of their own and for your benefit as opposed to theirs. To put it another way ... objecting to characters that were (almost) certainly created to appeal to het males like Lucoa and Ilulu is different from someone with a traditional western worldview objecting to the Kobayashi/Tohru and Kanna/Riko attraction how? Japan should be as free from western progressive ideology as they are from western conservative ideology to pursue themes in their artistic and mass media because both the western progressivism that you agree with and the western conservatism that you oppose are still western ideas created by westerners for westerners.

I think that there is a bit of barking up the wrong tree here. There can be healthy and unhealthy kinds of sexuality. Places like this site you are just as much likely to see complaints against gay relationships having an essential sexual assault to them in anime, just like you are to see criticism against sexualisation of children, or any other kind of fetishization of sexual assault between any pairing.

But those are only more on the unhealthy side, and you are actually going to find a good deal of praise when there is something that is more on the healthy side of sexualization. Now, this is not actually kink shaming stuff, for instance I don't really remember Interspecies Reviewers or Monster Musume for existing as highly sexual works. to clarify a bit on what I said about fetishization of sexual assault, IS even has a segment along the lines of rape-play, but it isn't actually a problem because it also very clear that it is consensual non-consent. To look at a more complicated example, you have Horimiya, which I think received some praise for including a bit of BDSM, but also some criticism that the one being pushed to act aggressive looked rather uncomfortable in it. The important thing really is consent, and it is pretty consistently that point.

In regards to the point of things just being fiction, and has no impact on real adults. I know that this can sound disappointing, but there are absolutely people who can be influenced by some of this stuff. A normalisation of the sexualisation of children, can have some impacts on how even adults may treat real children, and while maybe it won't force a completely "normal" person to go out and assault a kid, it can make it more likely. Just as a normalisation of sexual assault can have consequences can have people think it is okay to force themselves onto someone else, and it is not that serious because the people in the cartoons shouted "no" but were actually enjoying themselves.

And asking for better LGBT stuff, isn't along the lines of forcing another culture onto Japan's. Perhaps Japan hasn't had the same level of Christianity making LGBT the devil, but it also has been a bit slow on actual proper representation in ways. Perhaps it go in early with something like Sailor Moon and Stop! Hibari-kun, it sure can have a hard time actually confirming something like a gay relationship, or treating anything that could be a trans character as a big joke. Which in turn, the treating of likely trans people as a joke, and even fetishization of that sort of fact, leads to some real world confusing ideas of people who don't dress or identify as according to their assigned gender. You can't question the gender of any character without having something essentialised back.

Being an LGBT anime fan and hoping for a good show that might treat such characters the same as cishet characters, can be incredibly frustrating. And it is not because LGBT people as we understand them don't exist in Japan. The West is actually quickly catching up on more representation and better representation, even in Disney cartoons for kids.
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
To make my stance clear: I don't think this series is immoral. I think it's got a ton of artistically impressive elements. I don't think loli material is harmful in and of itself. What I don't get is why people feel the need to defend this series from people disgusted by loli content when it's clearly made for those who are either into it or at the very least ok with it being delivered along with other forms of fanservice. When the author made it and when Kyoani adapted it, they clearly realized what they were doing & that mainstream audiences would be alienated. Most people on earth would probably find loli displeasing so of course most reviewers would be bothered by it. Why does it matter? Let it be niche.
#LevantineA'rabiAnimeFan wrote:

I feel like people really exagerate Kanna/Riko's sexualisation, like okay, you can argue that the twister scene sexualised them to an extent, but beyond that I really don't see how anything they did at least in the 1st season ever crossed the line into being something that could be seen as sexual, they never do anything that wouldn't be seen as a normal childhood friendship and even twister isn't something out of the ordinary for children, the angles where definitely animated in a way that did show off body parts like their thighs but it wasn't like they were actually touching each other in a sexual way. I have the first volume of the spinoff that's just about them specifically and they act like normal primary school children who are friends without even scenes like the twister scene, which I think at least to me shows that their relationship isn't actually sexual and that the scenes that have sexual connotations were more like a joke that the author can draw very lewd things with questionable subjects and they then set them up but nothing actually happens because its not that kind of manga, and the anime adaptation just adapted it, I may be wrong but that's how I saw it.

"It's not that kind of manga" what kind, a porno? Most ecchi loli stuff in non-pornographic otaku manga does not result in sex scenes. Doesn't change that it's a manga full of loli ecchi & the anime actually made the twister scene & the Kobayashi & Kanna love potion scenes MORE sexual. It's not like the manga version had Kanna grinding her crotch on Kobayashi's leg yet Kyoani added that in.
#LevantineA'rabiAnimeFan wrote:

Which chapter, I actually don't remember that, and I Kanna wasn't trying to mate, she was trying to "lick" saikawa because that's how dragons "clean" each other normally, maybe I'm misremembering.

Why do you think an act that can easily be construed as sexual was chosen? Why the constant "haha wouldn't it be funny haha funny sexual jokes" revolving around loli/shota characters? Come on.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ok I think it's time for a timeout. This entire discussion has gone on long enough. It's going in circles now, and gone far enough off topic at this point that the show itself is not even really being discussed directly. So the whole sexuality, morality, and faulty "you're trying to force politics on mah anime!" discussions are done with. As Lynzee already said this is becoming straight up irrelevant, and the outrage being injected into this thread is by people pretending otherwise. It's time to get back to discussing the actual material in the actual show or review, not these over reaching generalized debates.
cosmo321

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:40 am Reply with quote
I'd like to steer the topic back to something Lynzee actually wrote in her review, which was what at least some of us took issue with. I hope that is fine, as I feel it kind of drowned in a lot of the other discussions and derailing that have happened. I've also had a few days to think about my point since my last post.

Quote:
Kobayashi's magical dick is instead mostly a set-up to get her into scenarios where she could pop a boner from familial physical contact and embarrass herself as a result.

I'd argue that if this is what she actually got out of the scenes she kind of missed the point. It wasn't just that Kobayashi popped a boner, but that she didn't want Tohru and Kanna to notice the gender change. In this situation she becare very aware of how much skinship she's ended up sharing with both of them. In the end it didn't matter, because Tohru realized anyway. I think that reducing that to just "horny because suddenly male" is doing the show a disfavor it doesn't deserve. In that regard I do feel like Lynzee somewhat missed the intent of the episode.

Also a bit on the side of the actual review, but as it was touched upon by Lynzee and others in the thread I'll add my thoughts to the point about the trans thing brought up. Personally I don't think it makes all that much sense to liken gender-bender in anime and manga to being trans in the real world. The former being a magical change due to some external event that the gender changed person rarely asked for, and the latter a long term treatment to be who you are. I don't really think these consepts have anything considerable in common, and I doubt most people see the two things as related.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote
Just got around watching the third episode. The game scenes with the trio were funny as heck, Saikawa must be one of the luckiest board game losers we've seen in anime, period. Very Happy
poltroon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

I also really liked this, and in the next episode I liked Elma's coding prowess, and I enjoy it when they explore how Kobayashi is essential to her workplace and yet not valued by them, and in comparison how Tohru does value her, as well as how all the dragons enjoy her. Having Elma set herself up as a protector in the workplace is a pretty sweet translation of what it means to be a dragon.

Tohru and Elma's patrol, and them finding Fafnir, is delightful. I'd like more of these sequences, where they relate to each other as personalities and characters.

And yes, I'd also as a general rule enjoy more Fafnir.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tohru points out that the human population was heading towards factions; those that follow her and those that don't and it would inevitably lead to violent conflict. Elma retorts that she wouldn't have allowed that which infuriates Tohru. What Elma has essentially said is that she wouldn't have allowed dissent in the first place. Peace that doesn't allow any sort of disagreement isn't peace at all, and runs counter to their own arrangement as "judges" of humans from opposing viewpoints.

This is all wishy washy, the show is taking some meaty concept but applying them to a situation where it doesn't work. People will naturally create faction, regardless of situation (people create God and/or class system even when those don't exist). So Elma intervening doesn't change anything there. It's also hard to see why anyone would oppose Elma, she doesn't really seem to demand anything, she just provide free water.

Similarly it doesn't seem like she would force people to follow her, she'd just stop them from fighting. Since a faction who would oppose her would essentially be like if faction prevented thirsty people from drinking at a source of water for no reason, it's pretty clear who's in the wrong here, so it's hard to see why Elma intervening would be tyranny (unless you're definition of Tyranny is preventing people from murdering).

Tohru point seems to boil down to "you shouldn't prevent people dying because that could eventually lead to war and people killing each others and if you stop them that's bad m'kay". I get what they're saying, but in a world where resource can be created for free it doesn't work.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:01 am Reply with quote
I can't remember the exact phrases but I thought the beef between Elma and Tohru was that Tohru was annoyed that Elma was being shackled to the humans. The stuff about human conflict was Tohru trying to point out the hypocracy in Elma's philosophy to get her to leave in her own tsundere kind of way. I doubt Tohru cares a lick about the humans deifying Elma. After all, she's the one that ends up destroying their city.

I don't really know the whole deal between the Harmony and Chaos factions. I know the Tohru is a bit of an outcast, maybe not having the same burning hatred for humans that she expected to. However, I imagine the idea of a dragon serving humans is deeply upsetting. (which makes her current status in the show amusing and proof of character growth).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10