• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Case Study of Vanitas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Thinking about it, I took my interpretive cues from the way all of the vampires reacted to Vanitas' statement - they seemed fairly aghast, which makes it look more sinister than he perhaps intended. I suppose they could have just been horrified that he dropped from the balcony to the chandelier.

I have to admit that he still seems very sinister to me.

I think it's that plus the inherent fear of Vanitas. As far as they know, the Blue Moon Vampire and anyone connected to him is creating curse-bearers, so Vanitas trying to cure them is an absurd notion.

I think Vanitas might be so used to people distrusting him that he doesn't really care if what he does or how he acts might look sinister or off-putting to anyone. He just does what he wants, regardless of how other people might feel about it
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Anyone else curious about what's going to happen to Jeanne? I mean, she's sucking the blood of a member of the blue blood clan. Would she become a member or remain the same seeing as Vanitas is a human and unable to pass on the bloodline? I get the feeling it's the latter
I was and I had the thought that if she is beginning to be a "curse-bearer" she might get cured by Vanitas' blood. However, the mechanics of how vampires reproduce in this show may be at odds with some mythology because it isn't clear if anyone has been turned into a vampire by being bitten by one. Also vampires sucking each other's blood is a new wrinkle to me. Can anyone say "psycho-sexual"??

Also, not convinced that "we are Charlatan" means that there is an organization, but rather that the black entity gains control of the vampires whose names he has corrupted in the same way that mythology supposes that once one's true name is stolen that the thief can now control them and their destiny. Guess we'll see next week...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also, not convinced that "we are Charlatan" means that there is an organization

Did you miss the hint-hint, this-is-what's-going-to-happen, you-all-should-have-gotten-this-by-now laden posts? Since they've read the source material and you have not, it appears your perfectly valid speculations have now been rendered moot.

As for Vanitas and Jeanne, to me it felt like, while he's certainly got some ulterior motives there, this particular move was incited as much by curiosity and jealousy (sorry Hiroki Wink) as anything else. Dom got to have Noe suck her blood, and he was still pouting about that through most of this episode. I think he just wanted to get a taste of what it would be like, even though he can't have Noe do it (yet) because he's got other plans for him.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
^ If they are right, I'll admit it as I have in the past but I'm not one to take someone's word for it. So far, what the show has revealed to date does not fully support what they said and seems to me to support the opposite view as I have postulated.

As for Vanitas x Noe' shipping, the last Ep showed they are both "straight" and I'll not hear otherwise unless they kiss or "suck" Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:56 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
As for Vanitas x Noe' shipping, the last Ep showed they are both "straight" and I'll not hear otherwise unless they kiss or "suck" Wink

Everybody knows that there is no such thing as a straight vampire. They have to at least be bi.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Let's get this out of the way first: the fifth episode of The Case Study of Vanitas is preceded by a content warning from Funimation. That at first seems a little silly – after all, it's a series about vampires, so violence is, to a degree, understood to be part of the deal, plus last week's episode featured a pretty gory “meal” by Jeanne. So what's with the warning? The reason, it turns out, is that this time the violence is perpetrated by and on children, and yes, it is pretty unsettling.

I'm not that familiar with why certain episodes get content warnings and others don't, so someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and take this with a grain of salt, but I also think it has to do with rating/intended audience. For example while an episode of Wandering Witch and Vanitas might get one for violence against children - Higurashi Gou/Sotsu, a show that's at least 50% made up of violence against children, is out here 25+ episodes in without any disclaimers whatsoever. I feel like whether a show would have the equivalent of a TV-14 rating vs a TV-MA one probably plays a factor as well.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Quote:
Let's get this out of the way first: the fifth episode of The Case Study of Vanitas is preceded by a content warning from Funimation. That at first seems a little silly – after all, it's a series about vampires, so violence is, to a degree, understood to be part of the deal, plus last week's episode featured a pretty gory “meal” by Jeanne. So what's with the warning? The reason, it turns out, is that this time the violence is perpetrated by and on children, and yes, it is pretty unsettling.

I'm not that familiar with why certain episodes get content warnings and others don't, so someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and take this with a grain of salt, but I also think it has to do with rating/intended audience. For example while an episode of Wandering Witch and Vanitas might get one for violence against children - Higurashi Gou/Sotsu, a show that's at least 50% made up of violence against children, is out here 25+ episodes in without any disclaimers whatsoever. I feel like whether a show would have the equivalent of a TV-14 rating vs a TV-MA one probably plays a factor as well.

It should also be noted that the primary kind violence in this episode, spoiler[beheading], is usually censored for the audience that Vanitas is targeted toward. See the broadcast versions of Akudama Drive and JoJo Part 3. It does make me wonder if the broadcast version of this episode of Vanitas was censored, but Funimation was allowed to have the uncensored version as long as they had that disclaimer (or perhaps Funimation added it themselves; AoT Final Season often had that disclaimer). As a side note, Western video games where that form of violence against humans is possible usually make it impossible to do in the Japanese release, even if it's CERO Z (see RDR2).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the minute we first see him carving, we know that this is a child getting ready to die – possibly by his own hand.

Until the box full of stakes was opened, I was thinking he was intending to kill Noé for some reason. So every time Noé would approach him with the currently in-progress stake inches from his chest, I was worried Louis might yield to the temptation and decide this stake was good enough. °;°

Thanks for the note about why Noé's uniform was white. I figured it was just a stylistic choice to contrast the colors (or lack thereof) of his phantasmal encounter with Charlatan with those of the real world. I would never have gotten the actual symbolism on my own.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Until the box full of stakes was opened, I was thinking he was intending to kill Noé for some reason. So every time Noé would approach him with the currently in-progress stake inches from his chest, I was worried Louis might yield to the temptation and decide this stake was good enough. °;°

That thought never occurred to me! I think it was because it came after Louis asked if Domi was meant to replace him - I took that to mean that he felt unnecessary to the world at large. But looking back, I can see killing someone else as a very real possibility - especially with all the "gift" talk.

Quote:
Thanks for the note about why Noé's uniform was white. I figured it was just a stylistic choice to contrast the colors (or lack thereof) of his phantasmal encounter with Charlatan with those of the real world. I would never have gotten the actual symbolism on my own.

You're welcome! My random historical costume obsession has to be good for something. I mean, besides that one Spirit Week in high school when we had "decade day" and I pissed everybody off by going as the 1860s.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Everybody knows that there is no such thing as a straight vampire. They have to at least be bi.

That is 100% bi-curious. For my tastes, this series runs the gamut of vampire stories from the hyperviolent to the hypersexual and, most importantly, how they intermingle and why they usually don't. Novels and other written fiction has to cater to a particular taste and since that person has to invest time into consuming it, the material has to adhere to either violent or sexual. Where they really combine is 70s Eurotrash cinema where you can have both blood flowing and sexual gushing. Gay vampires both male and female abound and de Sade is more than just a name, it's an entire brand.

To make a long story sort, Vanitas is my favorite vampire story because it is every vampire story and then some. I discovered I was in love with this series when I realized the writer inverted the "vampires have to be invited in" trope with Noe having to bring Vanitas to the vampire world. To do it and not call attention to it? That's good world building.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
...Can you say psycho-sexual??...
... For my tastes, this series runs the gamut of vampire stories from the hyperviolent to the hypersexual ...Where they really combine is 70s Eurotrash cinema where you can have both blood flowing and sexual gushing. Gay vampires both male and female abound and de Sade is more than just a name, it's an entire brand....To make a long story sort, Vanitas is my favorite vampire story because it is every vampire story and then some....
Hey, don't dis those late '60's and early '70's vampire love fests, I was INTO those! Twisted Evil But kidding aside, I also fell in love with Vanitas for much the same reasons and it is stylish as heck to boot! Love the concept of brand identity for the Marquis!! He sounds like he should be selling a men's cologne and be a hot Calvin Klein-type bishounen...
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Just caught up with the series. It kinda reminds me to Black Butler. Still, while I like this series, it seems to be suffer from a really slow pacing as it took as the first half of the series to know Noe. Meanwhile, Vanitas remains as a mystery in comparison. Guess, the director will try to make his own portrayal of Vanitas in a similar fashion to the other identity Alucard had in the Hellsing television series which contrasts his original manga/OVA persona.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I am shocked to see people compare this show to fma a lot more then they are black butler.
I mean I get that I'm probably just wrong, but it is still surprising to me
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
yeah, I also don't think Vanitas is genuinely in love with Jeanne.

On another note, Noé's love for tarte tatin is adorable. I love his and Domi's interactions more so than Jeanne and Vanitas
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
“Femme Fatale”[...] literally translates to “lethal woman” (or “deadly woman,” if you prefer)
I must protest. "Fatale" comes from the same root as the English word "fate"; while it certainly can have the sense of "deadly" that the English word "fatal" has taken, the literal translation is is "fateful woman," "fated woman," or "woman of Fate."

In film noir analysis specifically the term does often refer to a woman who somehow engineers the protagonist's downfall, but not always. In some cases the "fated" connection is more romantic, or reflects the woman's role in providing a critical clue to the detective hero, or the hero is able (very insultingly) to "save" the woman from her fate by seducing her and making her faithful to him.

You're dead right about how the modern English meaning of the term has evolved and its confusion with the term "vamp," though—thanks! (I don't think Jeanne really fits any of the meanings of either term except perhaps, from Vanitas' perspective, the most literal "fated woman" sense: the minute he saw her, he felt she was destined for him. He may also have the sense that his obsession with her could undermine his own goals, which would give her a bit of the film-noir "destructive" flavor.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4