• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tomoe murders and boils a giant crab with her Errant Samurai skills.

Which I think means we have a new plague of murder bees to look forward to next episode, since the giant crab was apparently keeping them in check. It did make me hungry for seafood though...
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I almost feel like the show is adorably simple in its animation. Its jankyness is just part of that and it reminds me of old 90's anime like Love Hina, Ruroni Kenshin and others that relied on stills and action lines for most of its scenes. The fact that it doesnt go for moe appeal designs (most of the time) unlike most contemporary anime helps reinforce that feeling.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Well the episode certainly began and ended with some great hooks. I wonder what the issue is in the demiplane? Since Tomoe created the place, I have to wonder what the problem could be with her and company. Probably some trivial thing that will be solved in two minutes (after the OP), but still a good attention grabber to end on.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
There was inferences that the demi planes resources where drying up and / or changing from an earlier episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I recall that (amazing, go me!) but that was sudden weather anomalies, whereas this was framed as a different problem, specifically having to do with our hapless trio. I suppose it makes sense to blame the weather on Tomoe, but not all three.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
You know this anime has been surprisingly fun. I thought I'd jsut check out an episode or 2 and it'd be something I'd drop, but the comedy overall works out for me and there's just enough ideas and subversion in it to keep it from falling into the bland end of the isekai pool.

It certainly doesn't hold a candle with the best out there. But right now it is more entertaining than the talky-talky-ness of Slime's recent episodes. So overall, it's mediocre in the story department, but the character's and other zany things make up for it, cliched as much of it is, it somehow works out.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I can understand the reviewer not liking the cliff-hangers in the anime. But it's pretty similar to cliff hangers in manga. In fact some of the cliff hangers used in this show are the same as the manga version. The show is pretty faithful to the story, but it's also skipping back story a lot.

What bothers me is the fact that the anime has not shown anything from the other 2 summoned hero's. They will be meeting up with Tomoe and Lime soon in the story. But I imagine that would be for season 2 (if it gets one). But it will be jarring to just rush through the hero's story in an episode or two.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote
Sheesh, after the more subdued pacing of the previous episodes this episode has given me whiplash on how much stuff is happening at a constant breakneck pace. They didn't even explain what they where doing at the start. Where they trying to dispel a curse on the main character or where they trying to use status effect spells and they where being repelled?

The word punning elf certain seems set up for being a recurring character.

Also I wish the focusing thing was better explained. Why is this killing him? and why didn't it kill him before in previous archery moments? How does he have an ability that only dead people have? Argh this is something a novel would do far better with I imagine. Since it seems like the plot has taken a fast forward all of a sudden.

They never explained the Kai thing either since Tsukuyomi never explained that he was helping Makoto in the first place outside of giving him some power.
rottencorrupt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Sheesh, after the more subdued pacing of the previous episodes this episode has given me whiplash on how much stuff is happening at a constant breakneck pace. They didn't even explain what they where doing at the start. Where they trying to dispel a curse on the main character or where they trying to use status effect spells and they where being repelled?

The word punning elf certain seems set up for being a recurring character.

Also I wish the focusing thing was better explained. Why is this killing him? and why didn't it kill him before in previous archery moments? How does he have an ability that only dead people have? Argh this is something a novel would do far better with I imagine. Since it seems like the plot has taken a fast forward all of a sudden.

They never explained the Kai thing either since Tsukuyomi never explained that he was helping Makoto in the first place outside of giving him some power.
Yeah your not wrong in saying that just hit the fast forward button here but to answer your questions when he generally shoots the bow its closer to lock on in games compared to what he was was doing here in the episode is more akin to a near death mediation were he more less spreads out his conscious to where it just the bow and him and the reason he has this level of mediation is because all the children of his family was being thought some form of combat style in preparation for the day the goddesse came to collect on the deal his parents made and his teacher was a super Merc who opened a dojo.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Rotten.

I am curious if the reviewer missed the 2 pre opener scenes since no mention was made of them (though they where rapid fire) and one of them involved the resolution of the elves scene from last episode. That said being they where the instigators of a 4 minute hold up and chase scene seems pretty involves in the current season to me.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:09 am Reply with quote
I think it's just showing it's origins as a web novel. I feel like these kinds of tangents or weirdly placed reveals would normally get edited out if it were published more traditionally. I don't particularly like this style too much either.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
The character banter and interaction is still really enjoyable. The chemistry between the leads and their VA's is perfect!
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the reviewer will be happy to know that this week's cliffhanger actually merits its existence this time ;o
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:13 am Reply with quote
Lol hearing Kenjiro Tsuda doing his soft, sweet, bishounen voice. Laughing
michizure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The two elf girls finally show up again right at the end, and though I think their quirky comedy-duo shtick has the potential to wear thin really quickly, I'll just be happy if Tsukimichi can follow up on one of its teasers without getting distracted for another entire episode.

Given that their names are "Aqua" and "Eris," I wonder if it is even possible to take them seriously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4