• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Sell TV Shows, Movies Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cl4y

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
is it just me or does the whole purpose of this and netflix just seem to make people more lazy?

I don't go to blockbuster anymore because to rent a dvd is $7-$8 (i could just go buy them and keep them as long as I want/ turn them in to gamestop a get back somewhere close to the same amount)

But I remember when people use to jump int he car and go a few blocks. Those were the days! yes, I realize that this service is to make many dvds to be rented easily but why don't people judt order the dvds burn them and send them back?

I just miss a lot of the old ways. And i'm only 19. Shessh I talk like an old woman sometimes...

I made the switch because the Netflix library is vastly more complete than any brick & mortar rental store. It had nothing to do with convenience. However, why deny a convenience that doesn't cost you any more than what you're already paying? Is there something inherently wrong with getting videos a little quicker/easier? The (slightly) more difficult route isn't better just by virtue of being "less lazy."

Besides, you're missing the point - more content. Due to mail lag, only so many DVD's can pass through your posession in a month. My wife and I only get about 2 discs a week (on the 2-at-a-time plan), and we send them back almost as soon as we get them. This download service allows you about 9 more discs worth of content per month.

Edit- Seeing a movie in the theater is 7-8 bucks. A BB rental is more like 4-5 bucks. I'll never understand the logic of people who buy vs. rent. Gamestop does not give you that much back on movies.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
cl4y wrote:

Edit- Seeing a movie in the theater is 7-8 bucks. A BB rental is more like 4-5 bucks. I'll never understand the logic of people who buy vs. rent. Gamestop does not give you that much back on movies.

The BB in my area cost a lot. Not sure if its store security i'm paying extra for or what but it does. Also the gamestops do give me that much back. I play a lot of Video Games- so to take $14 off of two movies I turned in is awesome.

Also seeing a movie can be even cheaper if you go during the day. Plus since i'm a college student I get a discount. I pay $6-$6.50 tops. Or if I do go at night there are coupons out there.

Plus I save a lot on the dvds I buy with coupons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cl4y

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
cl4y wrote:

The BB in my area cost a lot. Not sure if its store security i'm paying extra for or what but it does. Also the gamestops do give me that much back. I play a lot of Video Games- so to take $14 off of two movies I turned in is awesome.

Also seeing a movie can be even cheaper if you go during the day. Plus since i'm a college student I get a discount. I pay $6-$6.50 tops. Or if I do go at night there are coupons out there.

Plus I save a lot on the dvds I buy with coupons.

Ahh, I guess it all depends on regions, then. I had thought BB prices were pretty standard. Out of curiosity, where are you?

Unfortunately, not all movie theaters do student discounts (I'm looking at you Royal Palm 20!), and now that I work, I can't go during the day Sad.

Anyway, my point was really just that Netflix (and hopefully this new download thing) is nice for people who live near stingy movie theaters and who are looking for a better selection than BB.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3