• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Pokémon Live-Action Series is in Early Development at Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:39 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

I've got a question. Why does Netflix think that a live-action "Pokemon" series is necessary? There's a pretty good anime series already. I don't really see the need for a live-action version of this series. I really don't.

With hundreds of episodes, that's too long for some people to get into.

Netflix would probably make this ~10-ep a season, a little more mature like Teen age, and try to entice live-action viewers that the anime couldn't reach (after all, when they already have the anime to get the anime audience to subscribe, there's no point trying to exclusively appeal to them again with the live-action series)
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Netflix shows like other TV shows are either hit or miss. There are a bunch of shows I thought were gonna miss (Bojack, Castlevina and Cobra Kai) but ending up hitting. Same thing goes for things I thought were gonna be hits but ended up missing (Saint Seiya, Fuller House, and The Dark Crystal series). Granted I like a few of those misses but I'm not the majority of Netflix. Here's hoping this series is good because that Pokemon movie showed it can be done. Let's wait and see.

I'm not sure why you'd think Cobra Kai would be a miss on Netflix considering it started on YT and from my understanding did pretty well over there. It actually makes sense that it would still do pretty well on Netflix.

Course I'm confused as to why you think Saint Seiya would be a hit if you are meaning that horrible CGI mess of a reboot shit that they did also.

Netflix has some really good live action TV Shows, but there anime adaptation do tend to be... eh. It's definitely not a cheapness factor on their part, but they make changes that are just "Why?" and can have some bad writing.

The most recent coming to mind is the supposed changes they want to make to Avatar with aging up characters and making it sexy. Just... Why Netflix?
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Cobra Kai was on Youtube? huh....TIL. As for Saint my bet was on Latin America since it's DBZ huge over there. Again I was going off the top of my head. Didn't the Death Note adaptation receive ok-ish reviews.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:28 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

I've got a question. Why does Netflix think that a live-action "Pokemon" series is necessary? There's a pretty good anime series already. I don't really see the need for a live-action version of this series. I really don't.

With hundreds of episodes, that's too long for some people to get into.

Netflix would probably make this ~10-ep a season, a little more mature like Teen age, and try to entice live-action viewers that the anime couldn't reach (after all, when they already have the anime to get the anime audience to subscribe, there's no point trying to exclusively appeal to them again with the live-action series)

A little more mature? There is a slim, SLIM hope that Ash doesn't open the show dropping f bombs and having sex with Misty in the gym bathroom by episode 2. Anyone seen the random "teen" dramas that Netflix releases of late?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2