• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Stellvia

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote
Stellvia: not there is a name I've not heard in a long time. Jokes aside, I've had the Geneon box set for a long time now. If memory serves, I had watched a screener disc from Right Stuf and was interested enough to buy the series. Hopefully, Discotek is able to get eyes on it now that it is much more convenient than then.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
This one always looked intriguing to me way back when the Geneon singles were floating around, so when Discotek rescued it I scooped it up sight-unseen. Glad to hear it's actually really good.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote
Stellvia, got a luke warm reception on release. It's OP and ED songs might have been over looked but the series as a whole was not much to write home about. Geneon/Pioneer took quite the hit on this release and this is one of the titles credited with their withdrawal from the US Anime Market.

I remember screening this and Infinite Ryvius at around the same time. Both had similar themes but IR definitely left a more favorable impression.

Good for Discotec on picking it up, worth watching if you haven't seen it.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I picked up that angela soundtrack CD yeeeeaaars before I had the opportunity to see the show. I think I stumbled upon a song or two browsing the web before Stellvia was licensed, and then was ecstatic to stumble on it in a dealer's room soon after Geneon released the album stateside. So I totally see why you'd have had it on your playlist for so long. It's been on mine for probably 15+ years and isn't going anywhere soon. Laughing

I was a poor teenager at the time, so I unfortunately didn't get to actually see Stellvia until some years later. I managed to get a copy of the metal tin release with the slim cases Geneon did before they folded. It was definitely one of the more enjoyable mech/pilot/space type of shows for me. So glad to see it come back into print because it's a show worth watching.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Stellvia was really good.
Don't worry too much about the romance thing the review mentions. It's there if you're into that sort of thing, but it doesn't play a huge role. This anime is much more sci-fi than romance genre.
And it's a lovely sci-fi story too. First there's the ensemble cast, but of interest is also that there's no enemies/villains. The approaching environmental danger is what drives the plot, which makes this stand out from the 'kill all the aliens/robots or be killed' crowd.
I've been listening to "Asu-he No Brilliant Road" for years too Anime smile
I own this on DVD, but imported the Madman release from Australia instead.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I remember really hating Shima, she's constantly causing some massive problem that endanger her, people around her and the entire mission (at some point almost causing the entire program to fail which would spell humanity doom) and every time she get off with light slap on the wrist. I think they were going for "autistic genius" or something like that, but when she repeatedly do things she's told will end badly and they end up exactly as bad as she was told they would but somehow still try again, its really hard not to see her as a dumbass who got a copy of the script. I think she would work if the stakes were much lower, or taken in a much more humorous tone, but as it were I just couldn't fathom why they wouldn't send her back to down to earth ASAP before she'd end up killing someone.

The rest of the show is pretty good, the situation they are in is interesting (although I think the first arc is more interesting than the second one).
Zefram

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I remember really hating Shima, she's constantly causing some massive problem that endanger her, people around her and the entire mission (at some point almost causing the entire program to fail which would spell humanity doom) and every time she get off with light slap on the wrist. I think they were going for "autistic genius" or something like that, but when she repeatedly do things she's told will end badly and they end up exactly as bad as she was told they would but somehow still try again, its really hard not to see her as a dumbass who got a copy of the script. I think she would work if the stakes were much lower, or taken in a much more humorous tone, but as it were I just couldn't fathom why they wouldn't send her back to down to earth ASAP before she'd end up killing someone.

The rest of the show is pretty good, the situation they are in is interesting (although I think the first arc is more interesting than the second one).

This is one of my favorite shows. I recently noticed it on amazon prime and watched it again. Other than low-quality video, its just as great as I remember.
Are you referring to first few episodes when Shima had problems flying because after that I didn't really notice any major mishaps she had that would classify as her "end up killing someone".
There been too much of either unrealistically "perfect" characters that can do everything from first try or unrealistically "failure" characters that fail at everything they do till they they miraculously out of nowhere can do everything perfectly at once that constitute the majority of current protagonists in anime?
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Zefram wrote:

This is one of my favorite shows. I recently noticed it on amazon prime and watched it again. Other than low-quality video, its just as great as I remember.
Are you referring to first few episodes when Shima had problems flying because after that I didn't really notice any major mishaps she had that would classify as her "end up killing someone".
There been too much of either unrealistically "perfect" characters that can do everything from first try or unrealistically "failure" characters that fail at everything they do till they they miraculously out of nowhere can do everything perfectly at once that constitute the majority of current protagonists in anime?

It's been quite awhile so exact detail might be wrong but if I remember correctly,spoiler[ after the first couple of in the first few episodes with the flying instruction (which should have been way more than enough to have her kicked out as an out of control spacecraft is essentially a big bullet) she wiped out the server of the whole station (only for some asspull to save her at the end), something else happen during the student fair (or w/e it was) and she again screw up during the big event with the shield.]

It wasn't about her not pulling them perfectly on the first try, it was more about her stubbornly doing unnecessary/dangerous thing in very serious situation and not learning just for the show to go "well actually she scored really well so we'll overlook all the trouble she caused" (I'd very much classify her as a "characters that fail at everything they do till they they miraculously out of nowhere can do everything perfectly"). That could work if they were trying to setup a school play or something and the worse that would happen is that the play doesn't happen. But when failure means the end of humanity and she's not really important and could be easily replace it's hard to maintain credibility in the show and it just felt like she had plot armor.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

It's been quite awhile so exact detail might be wrong but if I remember correctly,spoiler[ after the first couple of in the first few episodes with the flying instruction (which should have been way more than enough to have her kicked out as an out of control spacecraft is essentially a big bullet) she wiped out the server of the whole station (only for some asspull to save her at the end), something else happen during the student fair (or w/e it was) and she again screw up during the big event with the shield.]

It wasn't about her not pulling them perfectly on the first try, it was more about her stubbornly doing unnecessary/dangerous thing in very serious situation and not learning just for the show to go "well actually she scored really well so we'll overlook all the trouble she caused" (I'd very much classify her as a "characters that fail at everything they do till they they miraculously out of nowhere can do everything perfectly"). That could work if they were trying to setup a school play or something and the worse that would happen is that the play doesn't happen. But when failure means the end of humanity and she's not really important and could be easily replace it's hard to maintain credibility in the show and it just felt like she had plot armor.

THIS. ALL OF THIS. I mostly remember yelling at the screen (mostly at Shima; wtf was she even doing in space??) while watching this show years ago and I'm pretty sure I would dislike it even more now that so many better and watchable shows are available and especially since newer shows just look better and are more watchable. And it isn't just how shows look: Trigun is one of my all-time favs and it just looks terrible but the story is so damn good that I don't care. Angela songs are always welcome but they are never enough to carry a show cough Fafner cough. At least Stellvia thankfully ended.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
While hardly one of my favorite space centered anime, I do remember enjoying Stellvia back in the day. It's been a long time since I've seen it though. I do still have the fancy dvd set with the metal case for the show. Though the damn lid on that thing never slid on securely and would always just slide right off.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember this series being talked about a LOT in forums back in its day, and often touted as a quality series, so that it didn't sell well at all was a surprise. (Spreading it over eight singles, instead of a more reasonable six, might have been a contributing factor.) I have all of the DVD singles but probably haven't rewatched them in more than a decade, since the series was never a favorite. However, I do recall the series being remarkable as a rare example of true group efforts to solve major threats to humanity and being particularly strong at the end of each arc; I still consider the series to have one of the best final episodes of any sci fi series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I watched Stellvia back in the day and I personally enjoyed the hell out of it, but for probably a different reason than most people...

I was literally a graduate student studying string theory at the time, and the literal "final boss" of the series is a giant cosmic string, something I was actually studying.

I remember talking about this to a professor of mine at the time and having a really good laugh at the entire premise, but it was just cool at the time to have anime "speaking my language" even if it was very much used as complete bullshit technobabble.

As for whether the show is "good" or not, well I remember enjoying the final episodes, and not so much enjoying most of the rest of it, I think the frustrations some people had of the characters were definitely the case.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I did have the DVD set and watched it, but I've been upgrading the bluray lately anyway. I'll try and get the Discotek release at some point though!

Also, another negative on the series: the boy's school uniform outfits. My word are those things hideous. Maybe the series might've gotten more attention if people didn't think the boys were all wearing onesies. I mean, there is a reason that made the top spot on your worst uniforms list from several years back.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
This show is better than it has any right to be. I watch it again every few years and always come away having enjoyed it.

Shima is kind of insufferable at first though. The conflict with her mother feels way out of proportion, and the fix for her crappy piloting is just silly. (Really? All she needed to do was close some windows on her HUD?) There’s also the infamous episode where she cries the entire time. In the end, I still liked her character and the show, but I completely understand why other people are put off.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote
I'd say Stellvia's good, not great. I have the Geneon singles and I'd have to say the full 8 set of multicolored metallic covers is better than the show itself.

Also... 8 DVDs. I finally got around to watching Genoen's Heat Guy J... on 7 DVDs... which I bought, looking at the calendar, last decade and it's hard not to see how Genoen failed so hard in the early 2000s. Stellvia is good but the show itself stops before the story ends and Heat Guy J... I had to stop watching it at the midpoint to watch Solty Rei to remind me how "Detective with robot sidekick set in Dark City's singular art deco technoir city with a dark secret" should go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2