• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Stellvia

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:29 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
This show is better than it has any right to be. I watch it again every few years and always come away having enjoyed it.

Shima is kind of insufferable at first though. The conflict with her mother feels way out of proportion, and the fix for her crappy piloting is just silly. (Really? All she needed to do was close some windows on her HUD?) There’s also the infamous episode where she cries the entire time. In the end, I still liked her character and the show, but I completely understand why other people are put off.

Quote:
I was a bit annoyed at Shima's breakdown when she couldnt handle the input of the new giant robot, thats where she almost endagers the shield program for the mid series crisis. She had already had coaching on filtering out data and organising it (twice no less, in piloting 101 AND in the basketball tournament thingy). And she suffered it again and freaked out instead of trying to use the lessons she had learned. Becoming completely dependent on her genius boyfriend to shepard her through the event. THAT disapointed me.

Honestly, these things just made me love the show and its character writing even more. Shima's fight with her mom was blown out of proportion, yes, but getting mad and fighting with your parents over petty stuff is something that teenagers do. It's a natural part of the developmental stage. if anything, her mom was the one who deserved criticism for acting childish, but even then, it shows where Shima gets her temper.

And as for spoiler[Shima's breakdown, y'all are being way too hard on her. She's basically been forced to fight against aliens to save humanity as a child soldier. She's under an enormous amount of pressure from all sides, she's been separated from her friends, she's comparing herself to her boyfriend and copilot, and she's constantly overwhelmed. She feels inferior in what used to be an equal and supportive relationship. No wonder she had a breakdown! Crying is one of the body's ways to relieve stress, which had built up to an enormous level within her.

With regard to "relying on her genius boyfriend," do you mean the boy she broke up with? The boy who had no idea what to do with this girl who is just so full of feelings? Not that he's a bad guy, he just wasn't equipped to support her.]

Shima makes mistakes, struggles with learning differences, and progresses and regresses in a way that is realistic for teenagers. These things you listed as reasons to dislike her are some of the best parts of the series.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Stellvia's extremely useful if you run screenings because it's got basically no violence at all, which is pretty unusual for SF or mecha anime.

(Always got the impression it was aimed for an audience a couple of years younger than the usual for that sort of Serious SF. )
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Funny-I was just thinking of rewatching this series before I read the article. I remember enjoying Stellvia when I watched 9 or 10 years ago and it was pretty good science fiction and the characters were relatable. Funny-on my metal "bandaid" case the sliding lid is really shitting hard to open. LOL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2