• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Isekai Saturation Heightens

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
You made a mistake mentioning civil engineering (and to a lesser extent city planning) in your discussion, because my dual degree-having ass is actually interested in watching Realist Hero now.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

I imagine a lot of this is true of any oversaturated genre, though? Anytime a genre takes off so dramatically that every single writer/studio decides they need to make 10 of them, it's probably a foregone conclusion that a large proportion of the output will be low-effort artless dreck. I don't know the 90s genres all that well, but maybe mecha or something similar had this problem at the time? Or maybe there was just much less anime being produced in general, and so the problem of gimmicky oversaturation was never really there?

You're right that every era has its own waves of popular genres. There was a glut of mecha series throughout much of the 80s, and the late 90s saw a big batch of "Evangel-alikes." The mid-2000s saw the moe boom, along with a wave of CGDCT series continuing on afterwards. There are a number of other trends I'm less familiar with myself, things like maid girls having their own little moments of popularity. I started watching in the mid-2000s, but a lot of the series I came in on were made in the late 90s and early 00s, and back then it seemed like sci-fi was the go-to genre for big original works. You had everything from the "space western" trio of Bebop, Trigun, and Outlaw Star all in the same year, to psychological fare like Lain, to pure cyberpunk like GITS: Stand-Alone Complex. And I know it's mostly personal preference talking, but that era felt like an embarrassment of riches compared to today. Even the series that wound up being mediocre usually managed to at least be interesting in some way. I definitely can't say the same about the same tired cookie-cutter isekai concepts that keep getting rolled out each season.

I also think you make a good point in that the current overabundance of productions per year magnifies the issue. A decade or two ago, getting 4 or 5 shows in the same genre in a calendar year might seem like "a lot." Nowadays, we might see well over a dozen, so it's much easier to get fatigued on the fad du jour.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I also think you make a good point in that the current overabundance of productions per year magnifies the issue. A decade or two ago, getting 4 or 5 shows in the same genre in a calendar year might seem like "a lot." Nowadays, we might see well over a dozen, so it's much easier to get fatigued on the fad du jour.

This also means that, since almost all the recent isekai stuff is adaptation (I can't think of any off the top of my head that are anime original) the studios are going really bottom of the barrel to find material. Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody is really not a property that anyone would want to adapt unless all the really high profile stuff was taken. It does not help that even the isekai with more creative starting points still go for really standard plots and storylines and settings or the creative bit was just a joke. Like that vending machine one. It's a ridiculous idea that should lead to some crazy stuff, but the actual result was weirdly standard and by the numbers.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:54 am Reply with quote
One thing that is new about the isekai anime boom compared to most earlier ones is that a lot of them originate as web novels, before becoming light novels and being adapted from there. I do wonder if that approach heightens some of their indulgent and samey tendencies.[/i]
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Even as someone who would consider myself to be an isekai fan, this season’s isekai are just completely lacking in any kind of original spin to keep my interest. But I don’t think it’s fair to judge all isekai based on this season which as a whole is kind of lacking in fresh ideas. As mentioned earlier, last season’s The Saint’s Magic Power is Omnipotent is worth checking out if you want a show with that old school shojo isekai vibe to it and it’s getting a simuldub this season. This season also features the return of the Slime show and Villianness which have gotten a lot of high praise from fans and review critics. Though it’s more of a magic academy show it’s still technically an isekai but I highly recommend Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun which is airing new episodes this season but for some reason it feels like anime fandom has passed it by even though it’s a unique spin on the genre and has a lot of fun characters.
BlueFalcon07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
Rayearth is a good Mecha and Isekai series.

And I say that as someone who abhors Isekai genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2